Why do liberals hate Christianity ?

Reality and your beliefs don't intersect much, do they? Thomas Payne, nominally considered a founder, may have dabbled in Deism briefly. The others? Not so much. Maybe one or two thought about it, maybe tried it, but no, they really weren't Deists.

This labeling is such a tired liberal meme.

Thomas Paine wasn't a 'Founder'; there is just a paucity of famous people in that era that were Deists Xian haters have throw his name around as if he were one to make Deism appear bigger than it actually was, that's all.

Last edited:
I don't 'hate' religion, I just can't stand the followers.

i0pAnc6.png

Now their is something to that, is it all the followers or just select few?

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

:rofl:

Btw you left out Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton and a few more minor luminaries. But I love the irony.

So now this vast list of Deist Founders is now up to what, 5 out of at least 75? lol

It's the Norwegian's hangup, not mine. The original point was this:

... Since Christianity is the majority religion that provided the founding principles to which this country was formed...

"Christianity is the majority religion that provided the founding principles to which this country was formed" -- HORSEshit. The founding principles come from philosophy -- definitely not religion.

Wacko.

Message boards and threads like this really bring out the deep level of blind ignorance that sadly exists out there -- somewhere...

Well you have expressed you opinion and just as I said, you are stating it as you are the end of all things.

But let us look at what real men swore their sacred honor too, note the word sacred. They staked their very lives on signing the document with these very words:

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights

Got that? The poster (Freewill) is trying to sell this canard that the presence of the word "God" in the Declaration of Independence -- not the Constitution, mind you, but the document that tells Great Britain to sod off -- means that "Christianity is the majority religion that provided the founding principles to which this country was formed". That's his basis, which is, again, horseshit. I noted their philosophical basis and cited Deism as one of those philosophies. Which it clearly was.

i0pAnc6.png

Depends on the religious text they follow, how they interpret it, and what their beliefs in that religion are.

That said, the social contract doesn't require people who are of different religious affiliations to like each other, just to not impose the morality from that religion on others that don't follow it or believe in it i.e. no theocracy.

Reality and your beliefs don't intersect much, do they? Thomas Payne, nominally considered a founder, may have dabbled in Deism briefly. The others? Not so much. Maybe one or two thought about it, maybe tried it, but no, they really weren't Deists.

Thomas Paine wasn't a 'Founder'; there is just a paucity of famous people in that era that were Deists Xian haters have throw his name around as if he were one to make Deism appear bigger than actually was, that's all.
Thomas Paine (February 9, 1737 [O.S. January 29, 1736][Note 1][Note 2][Note 3] – June 8, 1809) was an English-American political activist, philosopher, author, political theorist and revolutionary. As the author of two highly influential pamphlets at the start of the American Revolution, he inspired the Patriots in 1776 to declare independence from Britain.[1]

Thomas Paine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Paine wasn't a 'Founder'; there is just a paucity of famous people in that era that were Deists Xian haters have throw his name around as if he were one to make Deism appear bigger than actually was, that's all.
Some historians consider him a founder in some measure. That's why I called him a nominal founder.

American pamphleteers were amateurs in the craft compared to the likes of Swift and Defoe. The Americans were engaged in their daily occupations as farmers, ministers, merchants, artisans, and planters. Sermons and political treatises were uncommon diversions. To the English, though, pamphleteering was a craft, and coming to America distinguished Payne in yet another measure.

Payne absolutely was involved in the revolution - not the war - the end of the revolution - but in the departure of American thought and behavior from that of the British. He helped inspire the Americans to independence.

I agree with the Deism, though. It was more of a passing fancy to him. He really didn't care one way or the other about religion, I don't believe, but surely he was at least somewhat familiar with that school.

Got that? .

I get you are really pissed off that the historical record doesn't fit your idea of what it should be, and keep trying the equivalent of pounding a square peg into a round hole over and over and expecting a different result each time.

Some historians consider him a founder in some measure. That's why I called him a nominal founder.

American pamphleteers were amateurs in the craft compared to the likes of Swift and Defoe. The Americans were engaged in their daily occupations as farmers, ministers, merchants, artisans, and planters. Sermons and political treatises were uncommon diversions. To the English, though, pamphleteering was a craft, and coming to America distinguished Payne in yet another measure.

Payne absolutely was involved in the revolution - not the war - the end of the revolution - but in the departure of American thought and behavior from that of the British. He helped inspire the Americans to independence.

I agree with the Deism, though. It was more of a passing fancy to him. He really didn't care one way or the other about religion, I don't believe, but surely he was at least somewhat familiar with that school.

I agree with most of it; he was a good propagandist, as was James Otis. both Paine and Otis got tossed under the bus and ignored after the Revolution was over, though, and iirc Otis even ended up getting exiled, or had to flee overseas, I don't recall off-hand which it was.

i0pAnc6.png

Depends on the religious text they follow, how they interpret it, and what their beliefs in that religion are.

That said, the social contract doesn't require people who are of different religious affiliations to like each other, just to not impose the morality from that religion on others that don't follow it or believe in it i.e. no theocracy.

You made a blanket statement that you "can't stand the followers," I wanted a clarification. I don't have to like anyone, I was asking for a clarification. You are still very vague in your criteria.

The persecution of Christians falls directly in line with scripture. It happens all over the world. Christianity is the only religion I know of that is targeted worldwide. Most other religions do not experience a global resistance.

So, I don't know if you can narrow it down to just liberals who hate Christianity...

Just my thoughts...neither right or wrong to someone else.

Got that? The poster (Freewill) is trying to sell this canard that the presence of the word "God" in the Declaration of Independence -- not the Constitution, mind you, but the document that tells Great Britain to sod off -- means that "Christianity is the majority religion that provided the founding principles to which this country was formed". That's his basis, which is, again, horseshit. I noted their philosophical basis and cited Deism as one of those philosophies. Which it clearly was.

I get you are really pissed off that the historical record doesn't fit your idea of what it should be, and keep trying the equivalent of pounding a square peg into a round hole over and over and expecting a different result each time.

I get that you're so threatened by my post that you had to cut it out. I put it back. Do not fuck with my words. If you can't handle the post just man up and say so.
The Liberalism that founded this country was indeed based on philosophy -- not religion. Like it or lump it.

Last edited:
You're not very bright are you? Those of us who actually attended school, you know the place you go to get edumucated- and went on to college, VOCABULARY was something we studied throughout.. which is the reason why I used the term humanism in regard to Atheists because it applies you fucking bozo. Now, if you want to play patty-cake with definitions.. Here's one for ya: Femi-Testes- The liberals scrotum that curls up like a fucking noodle whenever confronted by a Conservative female.

So you're going with the posted book definition. Excellent! :tongue: (/dons bib)...

We (on this side) are all humans. What other interests would predominate? Anteater interests? What's your species?

Humanities are cultural study involving the real as opposed to the abstract. But we're not talking studies...

Ruh roh, circular definition...

4. Philosophy . a variety of ethical theory and practice that emphasizes reason, scientific inquiry, and human fulfillment in the natural world and often rejects the importance of belief in God.

Ah, finally paydirt.

What's your opposition to "reason"? What's the alternative -- unreason?

Scientific inquiry - same question...

Human fulfillment in the natural world -- again, that's what the rest of us are. Belief in God doesn't serve any of that, so it's just not a factor.

To quote The Dick Cheney:

"So?"
It took you 20 minutes to come up with that shit?? You're out of your league boy.. Don't waste my time.

He just stomped your silliness into the ground, LGS.

Tis what it is.

Thomas Paine (February 9, 1737 [O.S. January 29, 1736][Note 1][Note 2][Note 3] – June 8, 1809) was an English-American political activist, philosopher, author, political theorist and revolutionary. As the author of two highly influential pamphlets at the start of the American Revolution, he inspired the Patriots in 1776 to declare independence from Britain.[1]

Thomas Paine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Founding Fathers of the United States of America were political leaders and statesmen who participated in the American Revolution by signing the United States Declaration of Independence, taking part in the American Revolutionary War, and establishing the United States Constitution. Within the large group known as the "Founding Fathers", there are two key subsets: the Signers of the Declaration of Independence (who signed the United States Declaration of Independence in 1776) and the Framers of the Constitution (who were delegates to the Constitutional Convention and took part in framing or drafting the proposed Constitution of the United States). A further subset is the group that signed the Articles of Confederation.[2]
Founding Fathers of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paine doesn't qualify.

Last edited:
The term radical is usually applied to extreme liberals.

The term reactionary applies to extreme conservatives.

So you have effectively admitted that the founders were liberals.

As the term is used today, still tough to pigeonhole all of the people who were part of the rebellion. They also differed on religion, from the faithful Adams, to the questioning Jefferson, to the agnostic Franklin. And Adams, among others, was against slavery; Jefferson torn, but lived in his times. He wrote a volume or so on the subject. Jefferson was out of the country through most of the convention, but got his two cents in through others; fist fights broke out, the question of slavery the hottest issue. Jefferson believed it would die out as an institution, Adams thought that wasn't quick enough, but gritted his teeth, as the southern states were necessary to form the union. Their letters to each other are fascinating.

Abigail Adams was so radical, she brought up the subject of women voting! Revolutionaries at their finest.

Far left history revision at it's finest!

America will be far protected from the goons' revisionism if the Peaches are teaching our students.

People can snivel and cry or not take their Prozac or whatever, but the establishment clause only restricted the Federal govt., not the states.[snip]http://theroadtoemmaus.org/RdLb/21PbAr/Hst/US/Orig13ReligHist.html

You are wrong. Step along.

OK, some of you are not sound on Founders' religious beliefs.

Proto-evangelicals: John Jay, Patrick Henry
Deists: Thomas Paine, Ethan Allen
Polytheist: Benjamin Franklin, a fan of the power of demi-urges
George Washington: weak Christian, refused to take communion
John Adams: a Unitarian on good days
Thomas Jefferson: a Deist who loved the moral teachings and humanity of Jesus
James Madison: weak Christian
James Monroe: a traditional Christian
J Q Adams: more traditional Christian than his dad
Andrew Jakcson: traditional Christian

Both Jefferson and Madison fought the delay game to keep Governor Patrick Henry from managing a passage of legislation to make the Christian Religion the established religion of Virginia.

Last edited:
So you're going with the posted book definition. Excellent! :tongue: (/dons bib)...

We (on this side) are all humans. What other interests would predominate? Anteater interests? What's your species?

Humanities are cultural study involving the real as opposed to the abstract. But we're not talking studies...

Ruh roh, circular definition...

Ah, finally paydirt.

What's your opposition to "reason"? What's the alternative -- unreason?

Scientific inquiry - same question...

Human fulfillment in the natural world -- again, that's what the rest of us are. Belief in God doesn't serve any of that, so it's just not a factor.

To quote The Dick Cheney:

"So?"
It took you 20 minutes to come up with that shit?? You're out of your league boy.. Don't waste my time.

He just stomped your silliness into the ground, LGS.

Tis what it is.

Aw, I wuz jest playin'. She's such a toy.
giggle.gif

Sure had no response though.

OK, some of you are not sound on Founders' religious beliefs.

Proto-evangelicals: John Jay, Patrick Henry
Deists: Thomas Paine, Ethan Allen
Polytheist: Benjamin Franklin, a fan of the power of demi-urges
George Washington: weak Christian, refused to take communion
John Adams: a Unitarian on good days
Thomas Jefferson: a Deist who loved the moral teachings and humanity of Jesus
James Madison: weak Christian
James Monroe: a traditional Christian
J Q Adams: more traditional Christian than his dad
Andrew Jakcson: traditional Christian
James Monroe was the last founding era president.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back