Why do Blue States lead in Education and Standard of Living?

More liberals, of course.

Just go to any school board meeting in America.

The more liberals in that board, the better off the schools are.

Liberals respect education and intelligensia.

Most self proclaimed conservatives (note I said most?) fear intelligent people.

We see this playing out on this board every damned day.

People who inherit money, and whose mommies and daddies pay for big bucks education don't exactly work.

Get it?

I have no problem with people inheriting money. I do have a problem with re-distributing it.

sooooooo, you hate people who inherit money because they have an easier time becoming successful, but you want to keep the system that allows them to inherit lots of money and have an easier time becoming successful.

saying they dont work is idiotic. working at a bank or in a law firm is still working. you dont need to be covered in dirt or poo to say you worked hard.

you feel that people who "work" for a living, who dont inherit money and have manual labor jobs, are better than those who are born into a wealthier family. i consider that to be a form of elitism, because you are perceiving a specific group of people as being better than those people who have more money

sooooooo, you hate people who inherit money because they have an easier time becoming successful, but you want to keep the system that allows them to inherit lots of money and have an easier time becoming successful.

saying they dont work is idiotic. working at a bank or in a law firm is still working. you dont need to be covered in dirt or poo to say you worked hard.

you feel that people who "work" for a living, who dont inherit money and have manual labor jobs, are better than those who are born into a wealthier family. i consider that to be a form of elitism, because you are perceiving a specific group of people as being better than those people who have more money

Allie is confusing me here too. On one hand she says they didn't earn the money, but she's also saying she doesn't want them to have to give it to uncle sam.

I'd rather some rich kid pay the tax from money he/she didn't earn rather than me pay the taxes out of my wages.

Doing away with the Death/Enheritence tax will only benefit the super rich.

:lol: You have to be kidding me? Georgia, Alabama, hell the entire deep south is going bankrupt or on the verge. It is not just blue states. At least the blue states produce intelligent young people. The public education system of the south, and I would dare to say most red states, is a joke because curriculum's are based on the bible and a sense of moral superiority more then they are FACT. They would rather hide truths and scare the young people into believing sex/drugs/alcohol/free thinking is bad instead of letting them find out for themselves. It is a joke.

well let's put it this way buddy, so far California and Massachussets are the two that have come a beggin?

I'm currently living in Arkansas and it is classified as a red State, even though both Senators, the Governor and all but one member of Congress are Democrats. (It can be argued that the Republican member of Congress from Arkansas is a left-leaning Republican.) Education in Arkansas is terrible. That's why my kids go to private schools.

We are talking here about the societal elite, no? A SEAL would be shunned by the group that I've described.

Where exactly did you say Societal in all those previous posts?

Exactly my point. Elite is not a bad thing, its a good thing. It means ahead of the pack, superior.

I'm currently living in Arkansas and it is classified as a red State, even though both Senators, the Governor and all but one member of Congress are Democrats. (It can be argued that the Republican member of Congress from Arkansas is a left-leaning Republican.) Education in Arkansas is terrible. That's why my kids go to private schools.
My kids go to public schools here in NC. We can send them to any of the five high schools in the County. Middle school and of course elementary we had a huge selection.

My sister in PA- Blue State, no choice in schools. My other sister in MA- Blue State, no choice in schools. According to my Dad, my kids are far ahead of my sisters' kids.

My kids go to public schools here in NC. We can send them to any of the five high schools in the County. Middle school and of course elementary we had a huge selection.

My sister in PA- Blue State, no choice in schools. My other sister in MA- Blue State, no choice in schools. According to my Dad, my kids are far ahead of my sisters' kids.

Arkansas is starting to make small changes which are beginning to turn things around. For example, more Magnet Schools are springing up which gives parents more choices. However, it will be years before significant changes will be realized. One of the big problems is in the inner cities where most kids don't have a stable family unit. Many times the father has been replaced by the government, so kids grow up without a father's influence. This is a tragedy that is not so easily fixed.

That's why they are against school vouchers, right? :eusa_whistle:

Most of them are against school vouchers because they know that inevitably that voucher system (as proposed, mind you... it could work, depending on how it's structured) will destroy public education.

Speaking as a licensed eductor, I'd do very well if the school voucher system was initiated.

Speaking as a citizen, my nation would not.

But such a system could be designed such that it left no child behind, I'll readily acknowledge that.

But the Republicans and Neocons aren't suggesting a truly viable system.

Arkansas is starting to make small changes which are beginning to turn things around. For example, more Magnet Schools are springing up which gives parents more choices. However, it will be years before significant changes will be realized. One of the big problems is in the inner cities where most kids don't have a stable family unit. Many times the father has been replaced by the government, so kids grow up without a father's influence. This is a tragedy that is not so easily fixed.
The State is run by a Democrat legislature, no? My State is, as well as the governorship. We do, however, have a good formula where the State pays for teachers and transportation, and the local governments pay for the facilities and administrative costs. This ensures equal access to education throughout the State and encourages consolidation of school systems to save on the overhead. In our County the head administrator oversees 50-something schools and has a PhD in edumacation. He's got the resources to look around the country if not the world for strategies to achieve high levels of success. He's overseen by a elected school board that expects success and has the authority to reward it with bonuses to staff and teachers. We are also a "right to work" state that limits the power of the Teacher's Union, so deadbeats are demoted or fired without a long, drawn out process.

Because of the tremendous resources students have access to charter schools, gifted programs, "slow kid" classes, and special needs programs. We even have some same sex classrooms, as well as special areas for kids with discipline problems.

Most of them are against school vouchers because they know that inevitably that voucher system (as proposed, mind you... it could work, depending on how it's structured) will destroy public education.

Speaking as a licensed eductor, I'd do very well if the school voucher system was initiated.

Speaking as a citizen, my nation would not.

But such a system could be designed such that it left no child behind, I'll readily acknowledge that.

But the Republicans and Neocons aren't suggesting a truly viable system.

The only problem is that Democrats, beholden to the Teacher's Union, are only interested in keeping the money flowing to the school system. Screw the students who happen to be in it.

I'm a Ford MAN. I buy American if it is close. Clearly you like your tax dollars to leave the USA, traitor.

I used to buy Ford but the quality dropped big time. I had an Explorer that required the transmission and steering to be overhauled at 85K miles. I had routine maintence peformed as required yet these two problems arose. It cost me $4k to have both fixed. My transmission started having problems again at 125K miles so I traded it in and got an accord. When looking at Consumer Reports, Ford's transmissions got terrible raitings. Ford knows it has problems with its transmission yet has not done much to correct it.

Cars.com has an article (Cars.com: Top 10s and More | American-Made Index) that discusses american made cars. Ford and Toyota have 2 vehicles each in the top 10.

Toyota and Honda can be included in the statement of Buy American.

Here is the editors note from the article:

"Editor's note: In today's global economy, there's no easy way to determine just how American a car is. Many cars built in the U.S., for example, are assembled using parts that come from somewhere else. Some cars assembled in the U.S. from strictly American-made parts don't sell very well, meaning that fewer Americans are building those models. Cars.com's American-Made Index highlights the cars that are built here, have the highest percentage of domestic parts, and are bought in the largest numbers by Americans.

There are a few options for determining a car's domestic-parts content. We went with the figure that appears alongside the window sticker of new cars as a result of the American Automobile Labeling Act, enacted in 1994. The AALA mandates that virtually every new car display the percentage, by cost, of its parts that originated in the U.S. and Canada. We deemed cars with a domestic-parts content rating of 75 percent or higher eligible for the index."

I used to buy Ford but the quality dropped big time. I had an Explorer that required the transmission and steering to be overhauled at 85K miles. I had routine maintence peformed as required yet these two problems arose. It cost me $4k to have both fixed. My transmission started having problems again at 125K miles so I traded it in and got an accord. When looking at Consumer Reports, Ford's transmissions got terrible raitings. Ford knows it has problems with its transmission yet has not done much to correct it.

Cars.com has an article (Cars.com: Top 10s and More | American-Made Index) that discusses american made cars. Ford and Toyota have 2 vehicles each in the top 10.

"Editor's note: In today's global economy, there's no easy way to determine just how American a car is. Many cars built in the U.S., for example, are assembled using parts that come from somewhere else. Some cars assembled in the U.S. from strictly American-made parts don't sell very well, meaning that fewer Americans are building those models. Cars.com's American-Made Index highlights the cars that are built here, have the highest percentage of domestic parts, and are bought in the largest numbers by Americans.

There are a few options for determining a car's domestic-parts content. We went with the figure that appears alongside the window sticker of new cars as a result of the American Automobile Labeling Act, enacted in 1994. The AALA mandates that virtually every new car display the percentage, by cost, of its parts that originated in the U.S. and Canada. We deemed cars with a domestic-parts content rating of 75 percent or higher eligible for the index."

They pay low wages and the profits leave America.

I used to drive an F150. Number one truck in America, or close to it.

Now I drive this:

Year / Model Reviewed:
2008 Ford Focus SES

Summary:
The 2008 Focus SES is a joy to own! I recently purchased the car for commuter use. The two-door coupe is surprisingly roomy and quiet for an economy car. Interior fit and finish are excellent. I'm particularly happy with the height adjustment on the driver's seat -- it gives us shorter drivers a better view of the road.
The Focus is nimble and fun to drive, even with the automatic transmission. It's eager to run, and handles confidently enough to carve up traffic both around town and on the highway. A little more power would be nice, but isn't an absolute necessity for fun.
The Sync system adds to the cool factor, but proves frustrating at times. Let the system learn how you speak before you try to talk to it on the road.

Strengths:
Cool looks, fun to drive, good fuel economy, solid quality.

Weaknesses:
A little underpowered.

Now I drive this:....

'08 Expedition, Eddie Bauer edition. 5.4 liter V8, 6 speed automatic, 4WD (2, auto, lock or low), independent rear suspension, self-leveling air suspension, 9000# towing capacity, 20" wheels, 4 wheel anti-lock disk brakes, automatic traction and rollover control, 8 passenger seating, heated and cooled front seats, leather, satellite radio, in-dash CD changer and DVD entertainment system. :funnyface:

They pay low wages and the profits leave America.

The cash stays in America to invest in new plants or improve existing plants. In finance terms, operating cash flow is used to support investing cash flow. When there is not enough operating cash flow, then the company must borrow to support operations or investments.

Here is an news article Toyota Powers Ahead at Kentucky Plant : NPR that discusses addresses the low wage theory. I know it is a few years old but I think the points are still valid. Toyota builds plants where people are hungry for jobs. If UAW wages rise so do toyota wages and if UAW wages decrease so do Toyota's...wages are market dependent.

I lived in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York before I found God's Country and you won't me moving back to Liberal La-La land anytime soon. My standards for living are much different than any liberal's. :D

God's country? Do I live in heathen-land because I am from Connecticut? How judgemental is that?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back