Why Did The South Secede?

The South started the war because of Obama

Very true..... The idea that a black man would someday become president is more than enough reason to secede. Especially, a mixed race black

Obama represents everything the south was fighting against

Can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the comic relief you provide.

But don't give up the retirement for that stand-up gig.

President Obama represents everything the South fought to prevent

1. A mixing of the races
2. Blacks not...."knowing their place"
3. Blacks with political power

I recognize your declination with respect to the OP question.

Thanks for dropping by.

I congratulate you on your unique spin on history and tying President Obama to the reasons for the Civil War

In a nutshell....President Obama IS the reason for the Civil War

A mixed race black President was the souths worst nightmare. A well educated black man with political power.

That is what the south fought against. Blacks who thought they were the equal of whites, blacks and whites marrying and producing children. Blacks in a political position to tell whites what to do
Which was the cause of the formation of the KKK after the war ended..

Very true

If Obamas father had attempted to marry his mother in the South in 1961 he would have been lynched

In many ways the Civil War had not ended

Those damned KKKers....and their founder, the Democrat Party!!!!

So, ...you believe that South seceded because the North was about to outlaw slavery?

No, the reason is the same one that bases Barack Obama's foreign policy: a misunderstanding of geopolitical realities.

1. You see, the South believed that they ruled the world.
Really. Ruled!

Whether or not they imagined that they could defeat the North militarily, they fervently believed that they could oblige....compel... the greatest military power in the world to back them.

2. "TheUnion blockadein theAmerican Civil War was a naval tactic by the Northern government to prevent the Confederacy from trading. The blockade was proclaimed by President Abraham Lincoln in April 1861, and required the closure of 3,500 miles (5,600 km) of Atlantic and Gulf coastline, ..."
Union blockade - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

a. "In January, 1861, De Bow’s Reviewcontained an article declaring that “the first demonstration of blockade of the Southern ports would be swept away by the English fleets of observation hovering on the Southern coasts,..."
Great Britain and the American Civil War eBook

3. Why? Certainly, the English disgust with the practice of slavery wouldn't allow them to run....or sail....to the Confederacy's side?

So what made the Southerners believe that the had Britain in their pocket?

a. "Like all educated Southerners in the summer of 1861, [they] hoped one morning to hear the news that Great Britain had recognized the independence of the Confederate States. In May a delegation of rebel commissioners, headed by William Lowndes Yancey, had arrived in London for an audience with the British foreign secretary, Lord John Russell. The rebels took great heart from what was said. Russell had discussed the constitutional rights of secession, and Yancey had pledged the South's desire for free trade, reminding the British minister of the importance to his people of Southern cotton. Russell's principal concern, however, was the issue of the African slave trade. He had heard that the Confederate government was keen to restore this abomination. Was this true? Yancey reassured Russell that the South "had prohibited the slave-trade, and did not mean to revive it."

Lord Russell was in a tricky position, as were all the members of the British government. Though they opposed slavery, three wasn't a true democrat among them, not in the mold of Abraham Lincoln [who] could never have risen to become a British minister; to be that, one had to have been born into privilege, with wealth and property the only prerequisites. The members of the British government believed in "aristocratic government," and anyone who challenged them was crushed mercilessly......therefore, ministers such as Lord Russell and the prime minister, seventy-seven-year-old Lord Palmerston, had more in common with the Confederate government than they did with the Federal. Lincoln's administration believed in equal rights and espoused the cause of the workingman, themes that were anathema to the British government."
"Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy,"byGavin Mortimer, p.70-71

What was the hold that the Confederacy mistakenly believed would bring Britain to their cause?
The answer is in the section above.

I thanked you for the collage of bullshit, just because it humored my day.

You are very good at cut and paste. Congrats.

Very true..... The idea that a black man would someday become president is more than enough reason to secede. Especially, a mixed race black

It was stated in the first line, please get the fog of propaganda away from you and you can see better, being able to comprehend is quite another matter....

The day you become disabled will not be a banner day in your life...

A truly stupid post.

It was not a banner day in my life and one day it will happen to you..It's not stupid but to the blind and short sighted, which you are a leader...

I never have wished tragedy on another.
But it was the implication of your post that you are doing exactly that.

Saying it was stupid was being kind.
I am not the one mentioning retirement or my desires to be a productive person yet again...Even at the level of making a fool of myself...

It's the 21st century, and some RWNJ wants to relitigate WHY the Civil War began?

Really?

My Gawd, Righties are more rabid than I realized.

Newsflash: the VAST majority, the OVERWHELMING majority of it was about BLACK SLAVERY.

The Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the grotesquely delayed admissions of states into the Union between 1820 and 1860, due to blockage from the South, wanting to make sure that the electoral college was stacked with pro-slavery people, proves the point quite exquisitely.

Any attempt to whitewash this history is nothing short of complete idiocy.

Don't worry!

Your remedial education will follow!

1. A mixing of the races

Thanks for dropping by.

I congratulate you on your unique spin on history and tying President Obama to the reasons for the Civil War

A mixed race black President was the souths worst nightmare. A well educated black man with political power.

That is what the south fought against. Blacks who thought they were the equal of whites, blacks and whites marrying and producing children. Blacks in a political position to tell whites what to do

Very true

If Obamas father had attempted to marry his mother in the South in 1961 he would have been lynched

And of course, as usual, you are missing the point that at that time the Democratic Party was the CONSERVATIVE party and the fledgling GOP was the LIBERAL party of the day. When the parties swapped ideologies, they also swapped membership.

See: 1948 to 1972. Learn something. Like Nixon's SOUTHERN STATE STRATEGY.

Thank you.

It's the 21st century, and some RWNJ wants to relitigate WHY the Civil War began?

Really?

Newsflash: the VAST majority, the OVERWHELMING majority of it was about BLACK SLAVERY.

The Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the grotesquely delayed admissions of states into the Union between 1820 and 1860, due to blockage from the South, wanting to make sure that the electoral college was stacked with pro-slavery people, proves the point quite exquisitely.

Don't worry!

Not with you. Your two brain cells are already worn out like a whore on nickel-night.

1. A mixing of the races

Thanks for dropping by.

Very true

It is proper to call them the democratic party...

PC's blathering reveals she has little clue to anything outside of her extremely limited view of reality.
If I wrote thesis papers like that when I was in college I would have not been on the Deans List..

Forgive me if I find your suggestion hard to believe....

One of us has both Dean's List and Valedictorian on their resume, and the other is you.

You were valedictorian at Columbia?

I, for one, am impressed

Did you cut and paste your valedictory speech and number it?

Really?

Don't worry!

Not with you. Your two brain cells are already worn out like a whore on nickel-night.

Damn I missed that night!?,,,son of a..........

Really?

Don't worry!

Be sure you have a tissue so that you can wipe the egg off your face at the end of the thread.

The South felt it was threatened by it's way of life..And rejected the proposal by Lincoln to buy the slaves and set them free..
The war over slavery was a festering boil that was decades in the making.It just didn't occur with one president, it was an issue over states rights and the balance of power by the pro and anti crowd in federal legislation...
Oblama has not a damn thing to do with the reasons for the Civil war...The Bible does since it advocated slavery and how to treat them as slaves. So if God said it was ok, why not do it?

"The war over slavery...."

The question was why the South seceded.

Stay with this thread.....and I provide the answer.
You provided conservative propaganda.

"...conservative propaganda..."

Is that your definition of truth? Fine.

Well no.

Since you have engaged in that time honored conservative lie that the South didn't start a war over slavery.

"Since you have engaged in that time honored conservative lie that the South didn't start a war over slavery."

The glaring error in you post is that I never lie.

Second....if you have any honor, you will retract that when I end the thread, and prove my premise.

I await your penitential prostration.

Actually you do.

And alot.

You should stop. The baby jesus weeps.

May this thread come to an early death. The op is severely flawed. It doesn't come up to either standard, revisionist, or neoconfederate versions of events - all of which have some historic basis for their pov. This poorly cobbled together nonsense may just as well blame southern secession on the failure of Alexander in India.

As you Liberals are limited in education, you may not know of the American philosopher George Santayana, who wrote (in The Life of Reason, 1905): “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Another good quote is "history is written by the victors." So if Confederates wanted to be remembered as anything other than a bunch of dirty slaver yokels, well, it seems to me they should have fought a little better :badgrin:

The number one cause of death was diarrhea. They literally died shitting their pants.

1. A mixing of the races

Thanks for dropping by.

Very true

Trying to prevent a system that would allow Barack Obama to be our president is the reason the South fought the Civil War

They could have eventually accepted an end to slavery....but they NEVER would have accepted a mixed race black man as their president

"TheUnion blockadein theAmerican Civil War was a naval tactic by the Northern government to prevent the Confederacy from trading. The blockade was proclaimed by President Abraham Lincoln in April 1861, and required the closure of 3,500 miles (5,600 km) of Atlantic and Gulf coastline, ..." blah blah blah.....

Okay Okay, you've got in your clip and pastes, you've established the era and the setting and set forth your grand analysis for the historical blunder, "a misunderstanding of geopolitical realities". Now tell us what we're all waiting to hear. Which liberal malefactor is to blame for one of the worst strategic decisions in world history? It won't be a real PC post if there isn't a liberal blackguard awaiting conviction and the noose. Don't keep us in suspense.

1. A mixing of the races

Thanks for dropping by.

Very true

Trying to prevent a system that would allow Barack Obama to be our president is the reason the South fought the Civil War

They could have eventually accepted an end to slavery....but they NEVER would have accepted a mixed race black man as their president

...until the Democrats recognized that they would lose every election without the black vote.....and LBJ held his nose and offered the civil rights act.

"TheUnion blockadein theAmerican Civil War was a naval tactic by the Northern government to prevent the Confederacy from trading. The blockade was proclaimed by President Abraham Lincoln in April 1861, and required the closure of 3,500 miles (5,600 km) of Atlantic and Gulf coastline, ..." blah blah blah.....

Okay Okay, you've got in your clip and pastes, you've established the era and the setting and set forth your grand analysis for the historical blunder, "a misunderstanding of geopolitical realities". Now tell us what we're all waiting to hear. Which liberal malefactor is to blame for one of the worst strategic decisions in world history? It won't be a real PC post if there isn't a liberal blackguard awaiting conviction and the noose. Don't keep us in suspense.

Know how to keep an idiot in suspense?
Tell 'ya later.

1. A mixing of the races

Thanks for dropping by.

Very true

...until the Democrats recognized that they would lose every election without the black vote.....and LBJ held his nose and offered the civil rights act.

Actually, they gave up more votes in losing the once "Solid South" than they gained in the black vote

But it was just another case of Democrats choosing to do the right thing over what is most popular

Forum List

Back