Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Extremists didn't like US democracy

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Some other reason - explain in post

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
Not true.
Only Mecca is holy.
There is no problem with US being in Saudi Arabia.
Osama said it was the Highway of Death he wanted revenge for.
Bin Laden never said any such thing moron

He did in fact say he wanted them out of Saudi Arabia

You just make shit up as you go

Not true.
Only Mecca is holy.
There is no problem with US being in Saudi Arabia.
Osama said it was the Highway of Death he wanted revenge for.
Bullshit

With Islam, there are many interpretations.

Osama believed all of Arabia is holy

I can quote a book, later. That makes the point very clear.

Wrong.
Attacking the US would not cause the Saudi government to change.
Bin Laden disliked Turks and did not want a return of the Ottoman Caliphate.

Attacking the US and getting it to leave the ME like it left Somalia after the Blackhawk Down incident would leave Saudi vulnerable and easier to take over.

Bin laden wanted a Saudi led Caliphate, just not led by the existing Saudi government.

Attacking the US and getting it to leave the ME like it left Somalia after the Blackhawk Down incident would leave Saudi vulnerable and easier to take over.

Bin laden wanted a Saudi led Caliphate, just not led by the existing Saudi government.
The Saudis don't want a caliphate and obl wasn't stuck enough to push for that.

Leaving aside tin foil hat jobs, more informed claims of US naughtiness and sticking to the official line of OBL and Islamic extremists murdering thousands.

Why do you think the US was attacked that day?

My humble opinion is, it was a retaliation because of US support for Israel.
At least one posters disagrees with that.

Perhaps posters would like to share their opinions.
Why, because they failed in 1993 when they bombed the World Trade Center.

Leaving aside tin foil hat jobs, more informed claims of US naughtiness and sticking to the official line of OBL and Islamic extremists murdering thousands.

Wow, this thread is 13 years old. Better late than never!

911 happened for many reasons. Some of them are: to precipitate the Global War Of Terror begun by Bush & Co so that the Israeli goal of Greater Israel might be accomplished, to destroy the rule of law in the US by way of the Unpatriot Act and similar illegitimate legislative measures, to enhance the profits of the military industrial complex.

Why did "the plane" strike the particular Office in the Pentagon that handled the budget?
Building 7 imploding on its own
The fucking"Let's Roll" that was heard on an airplane phone in 2001 technology
The whole fucking day was a cluster fuck of schemes and plots.

Why did "the plane" strike the particular Office in the Pentagon that handled the budget?
Building 7 imploding on its own
The fucking"Let's Roll" that was heard on an airplane phone in 2001 technology
The whole fucking day was a cluster fuck of schemes and plots.
It sisd not hit the part of the pentagon which handles " the budget "

Building seven collapsed due to fire and damage it did not implode on its own.

There was no limitation on 2001 tech which would preclude people from calling from airplanes

Because Islam is a theocracy like Nazism. They are totally against freedom. What they want is a world wide Caliphate. The word "Islam" means to submit. There are two types of Muslim. Terrorists or those who cheer for terrorists. They have no tolerance ,they subjugate women ,and their creed demands "Convert or Die".

We will continue to support Israel, thank you very much. Muslims who get angry about that should find something else to get angry about, like the many problems in their societies.

IStandWithIsrael.jpg

There are the stated reasons for why 9/11 happened, and then there are the more likely deeper reasons.

I once read a book by a vagabond who deliberately ventured into many of the world's danger zones and interviewed all sorts of suspicious characters from narco-traffickers to terrorists. He once described terrorists as "rich kids with issues", and that description has stuck with me, because it seems to describe Bin Laden to a tee. OBL was one of something like 40 or 50 children, sired by a super wealthy Saudi construction magnate who was tight with both the Saudi royals and the United States government. He grew up around lots of money, but he probably didn't get a lot of quality time with his biological father and mother and probably had to compete for love and attention (sounds like another rich guy we know).

From what I've read of his early life, Bin Laden was a devoutly religious person and he was attracted to the themes of jihad, which would not necessarily have foreshadowed who he became, but the genesis was there early on. A lonely guy, with more money than affection, seeking to fill that void through other things and connections with other people. He probably harbored resentments toward his family, and perhaps being a religious shit-disturber became his way of getting back at the world, particularly his family and the friends of his family.

By the mid to late 1970s, Bin Laden's looking for some meaning in his life beyond being a husband and father. Given his inherited wealth, he wanted commensurate stature to go along with it. How would he get it? By being an Islamic warrior fighting to defend Muslims in Afghanistan. He and his billions went to Afghanistan initially to join on the front lines, but he also became recognized by Pakistani, Saudi, and US intelligence services as an unofficial but potentially important political figure, someone who could liaise between the Pakistani ISI and the Mujahedeen warriors.

Bin Laden's claim to fame was in the battle of Jaji, which is regarded by some as the battle that pushed the Soviets out of Afghanistan. He became a recognizable hero in the Arab press as a result. He became an idol to many, and I'm sure his ego and his sense of self-importance probably took off.

To understand the reasons behind 9/11 I think we have to go back to why Al Qaeda was formed in the first place. Bin Laden had been supported with millions of dollars in foreign aid from the US, Saudi Arabia, and eve China that, while not directly provided to him, was given indirectly via Pakistan's ISI. He also returned to Saudi Arabia a cult hero and icon, and as a religious radical he posed a clear and present danger to the Saudi regime, and he was involved in numerous opposition protests and/or coup movements in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. He saw his Al Qaeda as his own army of Allah.

The real split between the US and Bin Laden occurred when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait and threatened to do the same to Saudi Arabia, which drew an immediate US response. The US was Saudi Arabia's (and later Kuwait's) protection. Bin Laden insisted that non-Muslims shouldn't be relied upon for protection, particularly on 'holy' land (Arabian peninsula). The House of Saud disagreed and it wasn't long after that Bin Laden became involved in attacking first the US military, which he did for years, before progressively upping the stakes to civilian targets both abroad and in the US. 9/11 was really attempted years earlier in 1993. 9/11 was the bookend.

Forum List

Back