Let's play, "Cite the attack"

I

Indofred

The rules:

You have to give an example of an attack on the US, it's military or US interests that wasn't the result of US intervention in some area and I have to prove it was caused by US interference.

The American civil war doesn't count as it was American on American.

I'll accept Pearl harbour as a given.

Who would like to go first? :)

The rules:

You have to give an example of an attack on the US, it's military or US interests that wasn't the result of US intervention in some area and I have to prove it was caused by US interference.

I don't know if you can consider Pearl Harbor as a "given", after the things Roosevelt was doing to deliberately piss off the Japanese.

Kaiser Wilhelm's call for unfettered sub warfare leading to the sinking of the Lusitania.
We were arming both sides in WWI up to that point and making serious bank doing it.

Kaiser Wilhelm's call for unfettered sub warfare leading to the sinking of the Lusitania.
We were arming both sides in WWI up to that point and making serious bank doing it.

Wasn't the Lusitania a British ship? The OP was looking for attacks against the US.

Wasn't the Lusitania a British ship? The OP was looking for attacks against the US.

Over 150 Americans were attacked on the Lusitania of which 128 perished.
That was the attack that changed America's views on the war and led to our involvement.
I get what you're saying but I'd consider that an attack on America or at least Americans.

The rules:

How are you defining US interests?

Your fishing for 9/11 so here it is: 9/11.

Not fishing for 9/11 as that's in another thread.
I mean any attacks, say US embassy in Beirut.

What have you got?

That was the attack that changed America's views on the war and led to our involvement.
I get what you're saying but I'd consider that an attack on America or at least Americans.

America was supplying Britain in loans and war materials.
Germany sank as many of those ships as it could to stop those supplied.
Has the US not supplied the UK, no lost ships.

Sinking of the Lusitania

In 2008, divers explored the wreck of the Lusitania, situated eight miles off the coast of Ireland. On board, the divers found approximately four million U.S.-made Remington .303 bullets. The discovery supports the German's long-held belief that the Lusitania was being used to transport war materials. The find also supports the theory that it was the explosion of munitions on board that caused the second explosion on the Lusitania.

The ships was an arms ship, thus, a legitimate target.
The US was supplying arms to Britain. Interference in a foreign war.

That was really easy. Any harder ones?

The rules:

I don't know if you can consider Pearl Harbor as a "given", after the things Roosevelt was doing to deliberately piss off the Japanese.

America was concerned about the Japanese but it's way too complex to mess with.
I'm more interested in "Terrorist" attacks such as the embassy I mentioned.

America was supplying Britain in loans and war materials.
Germany sank as many of those ships as it could to stop those supplied.
Has the US not supplied the UK, no lost ships.

Sinking of the Lusitania

In 2008, divers explored the wreck of the Lusitania, situated eight miles off the coast of Ireland. On board, the divers found approximately four million U.S.-made Remington .303 bullets. The discovery supports the German's long-held belief that the Lusitania was being used to transport war materials. The find also supports the theory that it was the explosion of munitions on board that caused the second explosion on the Lusitania.

The ships was an arms ship, thus, a legitimate target.
The US was supplying arms to Britain. Interference in a foreign war.

That was really easy. Any harder ones?

The Germans had no idea it was carrying arms nor would it have mattered as after a short break from unrestrained sub warfare due to global outrage, they simply started it up again.

That's more like it but I didn't need wiki for such an obvious one.

Baader-Meinhof or the red army faction started out after the demos against the Shah of Iran's visit to Germany. Guess who pulled the Shah's strings.

Baader was born in Munich but studied with al-Fatah in Jordan.
Al-Fatah is a Palestinian group.

The RAF was protesting US imperialism.

I can't say I have any support for what they did and they would have just done it against someone else but the US did put itself in the wrong place as usual.
However, whist it's pretty clear they were misguided idiots, they did attack what they saw as US imperialism or sticking the US's nose into some bugger else's politics.

Cyber attacks on U.S. military computer systems - that presented a genuine threat to the wellbeing of U.S. military personnel - by hackers all over the world, but specifically China.

Cyber attacks on U.S. military computer systems - that presented a genuine threat to the wellbeing of U.S. military personnel - by hackers all over the world, but specifically China.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/w...attacks-against-iran.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

China is in bed with Iran as far as oil goes.
News | Mail Online

nuclear-strike-tensions-rise.html
Russia and China warn America against Iran strike as tensions rise ahead of damning atomic agency report

Read more: Russia and China warn America against Iran nuclear strike as tensions rise | Mail Online

US think tank plans military build-up against China

'America's first Pacific president' - Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

America's first Pacific president
Obama said during the first major address of a four-country Far East swing, which will continue from Japan to Singapore, China and South Korea. “As an Asia Pacific nation, the United States expects to be involved in the discussions that shape the future of this region, and to participate fully in appropriate organizations as they are established and evolve,"

Taiwan.

China warns U.S. over $5.8B Taiwan arms deal - CBS News

China warns U.S. over $5.8B Taiwan arms deal
BEIJING - China's military exchanges with the U.S. will suffer after Washington announced a $5.85 billion arms package for Taiwan, the Defense Ministry said Wednesday, confirming expectations that Beijing would retaliate over the sale.

High-level exchanges, joint drills, and other large-scale activities will be affected "in light of the serious damage" resulting from the sale, ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng said at a news conference open to Chinese reporters only.

Easy as drinking a glass of water. (Iranian expression for those who have no idea)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/w...attacks-against-iran.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

China is in bed with Iran as far as oil goes.
News | Mail Online

nuclear-strike-tensions-rise.html
Russia and China warn America against Iran strike as tensions rise ahead of damning atomic agency report

Read more: Russia and China warn America against Iran nuclear strike as tensions rise | Mail Online

'America's first Pacific president' - Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

America's first Pacific president
Obama said during the first major address of a four-country Far East swing, which will continue from Japan to Singapore, China and South Korea. “As an Asia Pacific nation, the United States expects to be involved in the discussions that shape the future of this region, and to participate fully in appropriate organizations as they are established and evolve,"

Taiwan.

China warns U.S. over $5.8B Taiwan arms deal - CBS News

China warns U.S. over $5.8B Taiwan arms deal
BEIJING - China's military exchanges with the U.S. will suffer after Washington announced a $5.85 billion arms package for Taiwan, the Defense Ministry said Wednesday, confirming expectations that Beijing would retaliate over the sale.

High-level exchanges, joint drills, and other large-scale activities will be affected "in light of the serious damage" resulting from the sale, ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng said at a news conference open to Chinese reporters only.

Easy as drinking a glass of water. (Iranian expression for those who have no idea)

Firstly, you need to read the articles you cite. China hasn't officially sided with Iran, so that blows your "China is in bed with Iran" claim clean out of the water. All the Mail article you've linked to states is that Russia and China have warned the U.S. against military action against Iran. Along the lines of telling someone that the water they're about to jump into is deeper than they think. Neither has made any direct threat against America if she decides to take military action against Iran.

Secondly, the Western Seaboard of America lies along the Pacific Rim. So they do indeed have a vested interest in developments in the Pacific. Indeed, Imperial Japan recognised America's interest/influence in the Pacific, which is why they chose to attack an outpost they believed could threaten their advancing interests in the Pacific.

Thirdly, how do commercial contracts between America and Taiwan (two sovereign nations) translate as "intervention" on behalf of the U.S.? That's nonsense. Otherwise contractual mineral agreements between Australia and Japan - which exist - would be translated as "intervention."

Forum List

Back