Why Christmas Party but No Bonus?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
This always annoyed me. Instead of throwing a $20,000 Christmas Party, how about just giving people bonuses? Or even family picnics and/or other "expenses".

I'm sure there must be some sort of "tax" reason for it (e.g. a party is a pure business expense to write off vs. having to pay taxes on payroll) - but seriously.... it's not THAT much money, and people would be much happier to get the cash!

This always annoyed me. Instead of throwing a $20,000 Christmas Party, how about just giving people bonuses? Or even family picnics and/or other "expenses".

I'm sure there must be some sort of "tax" reason for it (e.g. a party is a pure business expense to write off vs. having to pay taxes on payroll) - but seriously.... it's not THAT much money, and people would be much happier to get the cash!

Another good reason to have the tax code changed.

$20K for the xmas party?????

Good fucking gawd, who do you work for?

No, don't answer that but that's a LOT of little weenies wrapped in bread dough. For that kinda money, they better be serving lobster.

You could always take home a big bag of leftovers and steal paper clips.

Or get a different job.

$20K for the xmas party?????

Good fucking gawd, who do you work for?

No, don't answer that but that's a LOT of little weenies wrapped in bread dough. For that kinda money, they better be serving lobster.

You could always take home a big bag of leftovers and steal paper clips.

Or get a different job.

Trust me! The spend a LOT! Mostly though on food and travel (needless....) I figured all companies were like this. It's like pulling teeth to get increased wages or bonuses, but, anything else goes! $20k might have been an exaggeration, but there was one meal I saw that cost $4,000 (most of it was alcohol).....

When you look at renting a place to have the party, hiring a caterer ect, $20 is not a huge amount for a decent sized party.

When you look at renting a place to have the party, hiring a caterer ect, $20 is not a huge amount for a decent sized party.

I'd rather have even a small bonus. But I understand why they do it.... waste..... (or wasted!)

start your own company and you can give bonuses to anyone you want to, any time you like.

That's how the real world works.

start your own company and you can give bonuses to anyone you want to, any time you like.

I wish! I need someone with capital!

Everybody "needs someone with capital". I wouldn't wait around hoping someone magically appears and wants to give money to you.

Try a bank. They loan money if you have collateral of SOME kind.

Otherwise your only option is to work and save and do it yourself.

I wish! I need someone with capital!

Everybody "needs someone with capital". I wouldn't wait around hoping someone magically appears and wants to give money to you.

Try a bank. They loan money if you have collateral of SOME kind.

Otherwise your only option is to work and save and do it yourself.

Yeah I know, I have the work ethic and interest, but, not very much drive :)

When you move out and get your own place and have a mortgage and bills, the "drive" may kick in.

When you move out and get your own place and have a mortgage and bills, the "drive" may kick in.

I already have that... trust me, drives my husband nuts - he says you have all these brains and ZERO initiative! To be honest, I'm pretty content. But it would be fun to run a business, I'm pretty sure it would be a success...

I already have that... trust me, drives my husband nuts - he says you have all these brains and ZERO initiative! To be honest, I'm pretty content. But it would be fun to run a business, I'm pretty sure it would be a success...

well, then..your life is good...maybe some kind of a hobby or community service work would give you focus and a purpose.

well, then..your life is good...maybe some kind of a hobby or community service work would give you focus and a purpose.

I have a job. It's beneath me, but I love it (most of it anyway!) - plus I get to work from home.... thanks for the kind words and helpful comments :)

I agree. I would much rather have a Christmas bonus than a stupid party any day! Office parties usually suck anyways. Who wants to hang out with the people they have to work with day in and day out.

This is not really an issue at all for me though. I am considered a "subcontractor" and work at home. Therefore, I don't get a holiday party or a bonus check.

One of the BEST things about working from home? No office politics. :)

I agree. I would much rather have a Christmas bonus than a stupid party any day! Office parties usually suck anyways. Who wants to hang out with the people they have to work with day in and day out.

This is not really an issue at all for me though. I am considered a "subcontractor" and work at home. Therefore, I don't get a holiday party or a bonus check.

I work from home too, but, they still have Christmas parties, and an annual "Kick Off" event which is the BIGGEST waste of $ and time!

You can write off bonuses.

You can write off bonuses.

But you have to pay taxes on wages that you don't on just a normal business expense, right?
There has to be a reason they are stingy about giving folks $.

I work from home too, but, they still have Christmas parties, and an annual "Kick Off" event which is the BIGGEST waste of $ and time!

Well, my company is a little different in that it is international, so getting together for any Christmas party for employees would be literally impossible. I don't know if the executives who work in the offices might have a Christmas party or something. Anyway, I don't see why anyone would prefer some crappy Christmas party over a bonus check. Lol.

Forum List

Back