Why can't TV show producers make anything "New" and "Original" with space travel in it?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
There is now so much "Wars" or "Trek" stuff on TV!

I wish this type of space adventure was more mainstream.

Both "Mass Effect"

and "The Expanse"

have

-A lovable spaceship crew
-Exciting space battles
-Political and interpersonal conflicts with an intergalactic mystery in the background
-Nothing "Trek" or "Wars"

Why aren't they making new and refreshing things set in space?

Has society become too cynical to dream of an interstellar future?

Were today's TV show producers not inspired by the space program the way older TV show producers were?

Last edited:
Typical TV pitch:

So, we'll have a hero who is a detective, but only as a hobby; really they're a doctor... (Diagnosis Murder)
So, we'll have a hero who is a detective, but only as a hobby; really they're a writer... (Murder She Wrote)
So, we'll have a hero who is a detective, but only as a hobby; really they're a schizophrenic... (Monk)
So, we'll have a hero who is a detective, but only as a hobby; really they're a millionaire... (Hart to Hart)
So, we'll have a hero who is a detective, but only as a hobby; really they're a Preist... (Father Dowling)
So, we'll have a hero who is a detective, but only as a hobby; really they're the Devil... (Lucifer)

And on and on and on and on and on....

There is ZERO originality in TV.

I've seen some awesome space scifi that was cancelled after one or two seasons in favor of some absolute garbage.

I'm a big "tech" scifi fan. I love the Star Trek kind of space scifi. But the last really great scifi space show was The Orville. And I don't even know if Hulu is paying for another season of it. Before that it was Dark Matter. A fucking AWESOME space scifi show that was cancelled after 3 seasons, and ended on a cliffhanger no less!!!

I've been trying to find a dvd set of Space Island One, which is a really good space soap opera set in a space station. Only lasted 2 seasons though.
Want it on dvd, but is very difficult to find.

I was happy when a scifi channel was created........but alas, it's mostly all been garbage.

Woke Hollywood has no imagination. They are reduced to rehashing the success that has gone before, only making everyone trans, gay or black.

“Outer Range”gets a Season 2 while “ “Night Skies “ does not there is a crapshoot on renewals of Series . Shows like “ Resident Alien “ survive and “ GHOSTS” get acclaim and Renewal , I was glad “ Lucifer” was picked up by NETFLIX for 2 extra Seasons from Fox but realize if it resurfaced a third time it most likely would be a Spin-off or Feature Film .

I've seen some awesome space scifi that was cancelled after one or two seasons in favor of some absolute garbage.

I'm a big "tech" scifi fan. I love the Star Trek kind of space scifi. But the last really great scifi space show was The Orville. And I don't even know if Hulu is paying for another season of it. Before that it was Dark Matter. A fucking AWESOME space scifi show that was cancelled after 3 seasons, and ended on a cliffhanger no less!!!

I've been trying to find a dvd set of Space Island One, which is a really good space soap opera set in a space station. Only lasted 2 seasons though.
Want it on dvd, but is very difficult to find.

I was happy when a scifi channel was created........but alas, it's mostly all been garbage.

I know, right? My favorite show about space was a "space western" called "Firefly". Was a GREAT show, but alas, they cancelled it after only a couple of seasons. When it first came out, that was "must watch tv" for me, as I really enjoyed the storyline, as well as the different situations they got into. Capt. Mal had to be one of the best anti-heros in a long time.

I know, right? My favorite show about space was a "space western" called "Firefly". Was a GREAT show, but alas, they cancelled it after only a couple of seasons. When it first came out, that was "must watch tv" for me, as I really enjoyed the storyline, as well as the different situations they got into. Capt. Mal had to be one of the best anti-heros in a long time.

I got into one that was a scifi space comedy back in the 90's I think, called "Space Precinct". It was extremely entertaining and fun to watch, but didn't last long at all.

Because space travel shit is for nerdz.

If you ever have the chance, I recommend watching the series "Firefly" (usually shows up on the SyFy channel). Yes, it's a show with spaceships and people traveling between planets, but it AIN'T your average space show. It's actually more like a western, and it's a lot of fun to watch.

My favorite episode they ever did was "Heart of Gold", and my second favorite was "Outta Gas". Outta Gas told the backstory of how they all came together as a group on the ship Firefly.

“Outer Range”gets a Season 2 while “ “Night Skies “ does not there is a crapshoot on renewals of Series . Shows like “ Resident Alien “ survive and “ GHOSTS” get acclaim and Renewal , I was glad “ Lucifer” was picked up by NETFLIX for 2 extra Seasons from Fox but realize if it resurfaced a third time it most likely would be a Spin-off or Feature Film .

Lucifer..

See, he's a DETECTIVE - but he's the DEVIL....

I KNOW, how about a show about a house plant that solves murders?

So, we'll have a hero who is a detective, but only as a hobby; really they're a house plant - we'll call is "Aphids she wrote..."

There is now so much "Wars" or "Trek" stuff on TV!

I wish this type of space adventure was more mainstream.

Both "Mass Effect"

and "The Expanse"

have

-A lovable spaceship crew
-Exciting space battles
-Political and interpersonal conflicts with an intergalactic mystery in the background
-Nothing "Trek" or "Wars"

Why aren't they making new and refreshing things set in space?

Has society become too cynical to dream of an interstellar future?

Were today's TV show producers not inspired by the space program the way older TV show producers were?

My problem with sci-fi is that, for me, there has to be a tether to reality. I have no idea what subspace is, dilithium crystals, or much of what I see on Star Trek TNG. I just know I like the stories.

The more creative you get with the rules, the less tether there is.

Forum List

Back