Why Big Business is more evil than Big Government in the U.S.

When I think of Big Government in the U.S., the only thing that comes to mind is the NSA scandal. It was certainly eye opening what the agency has done in terms of surveillance and was worth digging into for the sake of legality, but it really doesn't bother me in comparison to the evils of Big Business. This is for two reasons: 1) the surveillance programs were implemented for the sake of national security and let's face it: it exposes terrorism. 2) no one working at the NSA is above its programs. The people who implemented these programs were just as exposed as anyone else.

Beyond the NSA, I just don't understand the rightwing outrage over this concept. There is not any existing government agency that I feel, conceptually, is "big".

What concerns me is Big Business. Doesn't it bother the rightwing how much the private industries have corrupted our government? Citizens United is atrocious. Because of lobbying, the large majority of corporate crime goes unpunished. Corporations seek to silence consumer advocacy. The 1% has acquired obscene amounts of wealth as child poverty is the worst out of any other developed nation. The healthcare industry charges ridiculous amounts of money for their products because they know all the money is in the middle class and wealthy class. This leaves basic cancer treatment virtually out of reach for poor patients.

Beyond the injustices, let's talk about advertising. It is fucking everywhere. You can't escape it. We are bombarded with advertising. It's sickening. Don't get me wrong. The idea of advertising doesn't bother me. I just wish it didn't fucking follow me everywhere I go.

Yeah it's all depressing

Yes...well....big government murdered close to 100 million innocent men, women and children around the world.......there is that.....

Citizen's United is free speech......

Greece ranks 27th in the world in child mortality rates.

So explain why your "greatest society thus far created on this planet" only ranks 34th?

How come Greece is so much better at keeping their children alive than the USA?

Could it be that they don't allow corporations to sell junk food to their children?

Different metrics between nations as to what qualifies as a live birth is a major factor.

The researchers compared data on infant health and mortality in the U.S.; Austria, whose rate of 3.8 is roughly average among European nations; and Finland, whose rate of 2.3 is one of the lowest in the world. One of the biggest differences, they found, was in the definition of what could be considered a live birth. “Extremely preterm births recorded in some places may be considered a miscarriage or still birth in other countries,” they wrote. Although the chance of survival for babies born before 23 weeks is low (the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that doctors don’t resuscitate babies born before that point), they’re recorded as live births in the U.S.

Why American Babies Die - The Atlantic

There is no way just counting premature births at 23 weeks accounts for the disparity.

I said it's a factor, not THE factor, and that is but one example of skewed metrics.

For example, babies who are not viable and who die quickly after birth are more likely to be classified as stillbirths in countries outside the United States, especially in Japan, Sweden, Norway, Ireland, the Netherlands, and France. This is especially likely for babies who die before their birth is legally registered.[9] In the United States, however, nonviable births are often recorded as live births, making the US infant mortality rate appear misleadingly high. In a detailed study of medical records and birth and death certificates in Philadelphia, Gibson and colleagues found that infant mortality had been overstated by 40 percent, merely as a result of these nonviable births that were recorded as live births.[10]

There is another problem with using infant mortality to represent health care efficacy. US physicians often go to great efforts—at the prenatal and postnatal stages—to save a baby with poor survival chances. The additional prenatal care an American doctor provides may improve the odds of the live birth of a baby with poor survival chances, who is then likely to require extensive neonatal care. Accordingly, the US uses substantially more neonatal intensive care units (NICU) than other industrialized countries. In this case, the additional health care may actually worsen reported infant mortality rates and misleadingly suggest poor care in the United States. Similarly, US physicians are more likely to resuscitate very small premature babies, many of whom nevertheless die and many others of whom live with serious and expensive medical problems. This practice also raises measured infant mortality rates for the United States.

The combination of higher delivery costs because of greater NICU use and the unique way the United States counts live births could lead one to erroneously conclude that the United States is highly inefficient compared to other industrialized nations. Furthermore, infant mortality is strongly and immediately affected by external influences such as the mother’s age, behavior, and lifestyle (meaning factors such as obesity and use of tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs).[11] Infant mortality is strongly linked to birth weight and gestational age, which are highly, but not perfectly, correlated. Indeed, the correlation is high enough that researchers will often use one or the other measure according to conveniences. In any case, both measures are largely a result of parental lifestyles.

Teenage mothers are more likely to have preterm, low-birth-weight babies. The mortality rate for infants born to US teenage mothers is 1.5 to 3.5 times as high as the rate for infants born to mothers ages twenty-five to twenty-nine.[12] The US rate of births for teenage mothers is very high—2.8 times that of Canada and 7.0 times that of Sweden and Japan. If the United States had the same birth weights as Canada, its infant mortality rate—adjusting for this variable alone—would be slightly lower than Canada’s (5.4 versus 5.5 per one thousand births).[13]

Turning to gestational age, MacDorman and Mathews calculate that if the United States had the same distribution of gestational ages as Sweden, its recorded infant mortality rate would drop by 33 percent, tying it with France as the fifth lowest rate out of twenty-one developed countries.[14]Moreover, in the United States, mortality rates for infants born to unwed mothers were about twice as high as for infants born to married women.[15]

Overall, these lifestyle and socioeconomic factors may reflect poorly on some aspects of society in the United States in comparison to other countries. It is inappropriate, however, to conclude that the root cause is the US health care system rather than societal factors in a dynamic heterogeneous society. Infant mortality is a particularly misleading metric by which to grade country-specific health system performance and to make international comparisons.

“A further limitation of using potential years of life lost as a mortality measurement is that many deaths are caused by other external factors–such as obesity and pollution–which are disguised by the disease they cause.”

US health care A reality check on cross-country comparisons

Thank you...I get tired of having to look that up and post it.....

When I think of Big Government in the U.S., the only thing that comes to mind is the NSA scandal. It was certainly eye opening what the agency has done in terms of surveillance and was worth digging into for the sake of legality, but it really doesn't bother me in comparison to the evils of Big Business. This is for two reasons: 1) the surveillance programs were implemented for the sake of national security and let's face it: it exposes terrorism. 2) no one working at the NSA is above its programs. The people who implemented these programs were just as exposed as anyone else.

Beyond the NSA, I just don't understand the rightwing outrage over this concept. There is not any existing government agency that I feel, conceptually, is "big".

What concerns me is Big Business. Doesn't it bother the rightwing how much the private industries have corrupted our government? Citizens United is atrocious. Because of lobbying, the large majority of corporate crime goes unpunished. Corporations seek to silence consumer advocacy. The 1% has acquired obscene amounts of wealth as child poverty is the worst out of any other developed nation. The healthcare industry charges ridiculous amounts of money for their products because they know all the money is in the middle class and wealthy class. This leaves basic cancer treatment virtually out of reach for poor patients.

Beyond the injustices, let's talk about advertising. It is fucking everywhere. You can't escape it. We are bombarded with advertising. It's sickening. Don't get me wrong. The idea of advertising doesn't bother me. I just wish it didn't fucking follow me everywhere I go.

Yeah it's all depressing

Free Cancer treatment is available from St Judes, the American Cancer Society and there are a number of charitable organizations that provide free housing for the families while their child is being treated. They are supported by contributions, millions of dollars coming from those hateful corporations. They are not affiliated with the government and have a superb survival and cure rate.

A young family member went to St. Jude's Children's hospital.....didn't need the financial aid but that hospital charge nothing to it's young patients.....and that money doesn't come from trees.............

Yeah it's all depressing

Yes...well....big government murdered close to 100 million innocent men, women and children around the world.......there is that.....

No Citizen's United is free speech inequality.

Yeah it's all depressing

When you can buy the outcome of an election free speech is meaningless.

Yeah it's all depressing

No it isn't.....anyone should be able to donate as much money as they want....it is their money, and any attempt to limit donations only benefits those already in office.......the government saying how much you can spend, and when in order to get your message out is not free speech......money buys access to media.....otherwise you can talk all day long in your closet...it does no good...and just because someone has lots of money, that doesn't deny them access to their first amendment rights.....

Yeah it's all depressing

Yes...tell that to Mitt Romney, all the money in the world....didn't win....many elections run by extremely wealthy people are lost......

Also....by limiting donations, you keep the little guy out of the race........if you limit donations, only the super rich, who can fund their own campaigns have the advantages, but if a good guy, with a good message can get a few wealthy supporters...then he can compete.....donation limits make that impossible....and that guy can't run against the incumbent or the independently wealthy...if you want to make elections fair, you can't support donation limits....

Yeah it's all depressing

No it isn't.....anyone should be able to donate as much money as they want....it is their money, and any attempt to limit donations only benefits those already in office.......the government saying how much you can spend, and when in order to get your message out is not free speech......money buys access to media.....otherwise you can talk all day long in your closet...it does no good...and just because someone has lots of money, that doesn't deny them access to their first amendment rights.....
It matters when it completely distorts democracy. The Koch brothers donated close to a billion to the 2016 campaign which is twice as much as what was raised in total for the 2012 GOP campaign.

Yeah it's all depressing

And of course as in all things you are completely wrong........

Self-financing candidates can t buy love wealthy challengers rarely win the elections - Washington Times

Of 1,752 self-funded candidates in federal elections since 1990, only 42 have been elected — a success rate of just 2.4 percent.

“There are always some people that think they’ll beat those odds, and some will. But very, very few do,” said Sheila Krumholz of the Center for Responsive Politics.

Last year saw prominent self-funder Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst lose his state’s Republican Senate primary to Ted Cruz, and saw beer heir Joseph Coors Jr. run as the GOP’s nominee for a Colorado House seat, though the $3.5 million he spent from his own funds didn’t carry him to victory in November.

Coal mining magnate Tom Smith secured the Republican nomination for the Senate in Pennsylvania last year but lost to incumbent Democrat Robert P. Casey Jr. despite spending $16 million of his fortune.

And Linda McMahon, a pro wrestling executive, suffered her second straight defeat in a bid for Connecticut’s Senate seats, plunging $8.4 million of her own money into the two unsuccessful runs.

“Whether you have a billion dollars or 20, if the message you’re driving doesn’t resonate with the general electorate, you’re not going to win,” said Phil Singer, a former Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee official.

So....a 2.4% success rate for "buying" elections...wow....you really are smart aren't you moron.....

Yeah it's all depressing

It matters when it completely distorts democracy. The Koch brothers donated close to a billion to the 2016 campaign which is twice as much as what was raised in total for the 2012 GOP campaign.

George Soros did the same for the Democrats through his shadow organizations.

Yeah it's all depressing

And of course you ignore all the union money given to democrats and all the money from lefty billionaires given to democrats.......

Yeah it's all depressing

Koch industries is 48 on the list of donors....look at all the unions, and soros before that.......

Top Organization Contributors OpenSecrets

Yeah it's all depressing

I don't care about the source. Big money in politics is wrong.

No it's not....it's called freedom.....if you want real polticial corruption put a limit on donations and see how hard it is for new people to get elected against long term politicians...that is where you will see the corruption of the system...why the fuck do you think politicians want donation limits........

No it's not....it's called freedom.....if you want real polticial corruption put a limit on donations and see how hard it is for new people to get elected against long term politicians...that is where you will see the corruption of the system...why the fuck do you think politicians want donation limits........
If a hobo wants to put up an ad in Times Square, should we let him? It is his right. Big money means his speech is weak in comparison.

Yeah it's all depressing

When a corporation advertises something you do not want what do you do?

When the government charges you for services you do not want what do you do?

The stupidity of people who are ok with government but against business is astonishing.

No business or corporation steals your money or forces you to trade with them. Government DOES force you to pay.

Yeah it's all depressing

The stupidity of people who are ok with government but against business is astonishing.

No business or corporation steals your money or forces you to trade with them. Government DOES force you to pay.
Oh sure I'm against corporate welfare but who do we have to blame for that?

Corporations and republicans push to minimize regulations. There are thousands of chemicals in our food and the large majority have not been tested. Credit card companies push to have hidden fees in their contracts.

Shallow, binary arguments such as "big business vs. big government" give ideologues an excuse to simplistically forgive their "side".

I do wish there were more people out there thinking clearly enough to see the big picture.

Is equilibrium really all that complicated a concept?

Last edited:

Yeah it's all depressing

Lol!!!! "The only thing that comes to mind is the NSA scandal......." The landscape is scattered with scandals and corruption. Ignorance really is bliss I guess. Just remember, its government that is forcing you to buy a product.........not private enterprise.

Yeah it's all depressing

Oh sure I'm against corporate welfare but who do we have to blame for that?

Corporations and republicans push to minimize regulations. There are thousands of chemicals in our food and the large majority have not been tested. Credit card companies push to have hidden fees in their contracts.

There are no such untested chemicals and fees are not hidden if you read the contract

Forum List

Back