Why Are Some Kids Always Tardy or Absent?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I just saw this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/education/05reward.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&th&emc=th

and it got me thinking, why is it always the same kids that are tardy and/or absent? For the most part, they are also amongst the poorest performing students, so which came first?

High school is more than a bit different, the parents have much less control over the student's choice to get there or not, but in elementary school the behavior is apparent.

It amazes me the number of parents that will pull their kids out of school to go on vacation. I could understand if they were going to travel to an area that might be 'a once in a lifetime educational experience,' such as seeing the Egyptian or Aztec ruins; a tour of Europe; something like that. We're talking though, a Disney Cruise, or Puerta Vallarta, not something that couldn't be had during the nearly 3 months in the summer, 2+ weeks at Christmas, or week in the Spring.

2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I agree with you...parents can be very irresponsible when it comes to getting their kids to school.

Though that article scared me a bit. Education should be the gift in and of itself, not the monetary reward that comes with it at this school.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Amen! I think a big part of the problem in our entire culture, highlighted here in schools, is the lack of personal responsibility. We live in a nation where everyone can obtain an education. This is an incredible privelege. The same kids who need to be paid to even show up will be the same kids who refuse to take advantage of the education even if they're there, simply bc they feel it is another's responsiblity to motivate them to improve themselves.

4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,884

:lmao:

Parents are not pulling their kids out of school in Chelsea for a Disney Cruise. Kids in Chelsea are absent or tardy because:

A) They don't give a shit

B) They don't give a shit

C) They work full time, on night shifts or early shifts that overlap the start of school
    (When a kid needs to raise $1500 + to make rent and utilities each month, $25 isn't that big a carrot)

D) They are timing their commute to avoid one of several vicious street gangs whose territories they have to traverse to get to school

This ridiculous plan was abandoned before the ink was dry on the story.

5. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    This may not be terribly relevant, but when I was in law school they had a simple policy for weather-related closures: There ain't any. Even if the rest of the university closes, the law school will hold classes. Even if the electricity goes out, the law school will hold classes. Even if the professor dies, the law school will still hold classes. Don't bother to call and ask. Classes will not be cancelled.

I went there (night school) for four years and guess what? Class was never cancelled.

If absences are never excused, and grades suffer, people might be less inclined to pull their kids out for vacation.

Treat education - even public school education - as a privilege, and maybe people will start to think of it as a privilege.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Nia88

Nia88 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I am a teacher and in my experience it is mainly due to parents not taking school seriously enough. I have kids that are late every morning. I taught 2nd grade this past year so of course students rely on their parents to take them to school.

The school would send them letters about the lateness but the parents still bring their kids late to school.

Unfortunately some people do not understand the importance of children coming to school on time and attending school regularly.

I had one student who was extremely bright but he was absent a lot which really affected his grades because he missed lessons. He wasn't a sickly child but his mom didn't see the point of sending him to school everyday.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. depotoo

depotoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,425
    Canuyou imagine when they get a job? They would be a nightmare.

8. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,644
    Hard to say which came first.

They may have started out with learning disabilities.

Or they may have started out with nonsupportive parents.

Or they may have gotten behind and cannot catch up anymore.

Schooling is the most important thing that kids get or do. It's too bad they don't all take it seriously.

9. Conservative65

Conservative65 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,799
    Working for me, they're a nightmare only twice. Once to be told not to be late again. Second time being told if they're late again, they're going. Third time, end of nightmare.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Book of Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,065
    I began working at age 10 at as a dishwasher at night. I had to stand on a milk crate to reach the bottom of the sink. They payed my mother cash so it wasn't on the books. She needed the money for rent because she was going to school. I learned a good work ethic at a young age and put my all into it. But not at school. I went to school during the day but I slept during class a good deal. I didn't do well in school and I never could get past general math. I continued to work at night and go to school during the day but later on I started to skip school. My grades were terrible. I dropped out of school when I was young. Later I got my G.E.D.. If I had it to do over again I would have tried harder. I didn't see the importance of it back then.