Are You Guilty of This?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Writing a note for your child to 'give a pass' on late homework because of sports or family event getting in the way? Not a good idea, as won't work in latter years of school, much less employment.

Ask yourself, would my boss let me be late or not on task because my kid was playing a level ball last night? Why should we give that kid, or siblings a bye for it?

Since I don't have any kids I guess I'm not guilty as well.

I will say this though...
There are many parents who place sports and other activities above the education of their children. While I do believe that those who work hard do deserve a break every now and then (ie- "mental health" absence from school), parents should prioritize appropriately. How many kids in recreational basketball grow up to be NBA stars? Not many. Education and the work ethic that should be attained with it, are essential tools that we need to foster our growth into adulthood and "the real world." Any parent who compromises his/her child's education should be ashamed of him/herself.

I can't say my mom's guilty and I don't see myself ever doing that, but it does happen a lot in my school, but with different things.

Pretty much the great sports players here don't get expelled from school until they reach 100+ demerits (supposedly, if you have 60 demerits, you get expelled). Also, paying more money to the school keeps you in longer. They also can get away with a few things extra, but that part I believe just refers to the demerit bit.

Kathianne said:
Writing a note for your child to 'give a pass' on late homework because of sports or family event getting in the way? Not a good idea, as won't work in latter years of school, much less employment.

Ask yourself, would my boss let me be late or not on task because my kid was playing a level ball last night? Why should we give that kid, or siblings a bye for it?
Never did that.

My folks only ever did that if the teacher explicitly stated that they would accept such notes, and only for school sponsored functions, so if my little brother has a school basketball game and his teacher offers to give them one day breaks on due dates with a parents note then yes my folks are guilty.

Never did it with me though, I did not do any extracurricular activities.

Forum List

Back