Why am I a liberal?

The liberals have changed over the years. Their thinking and their beliefs are so different. The average hard working person should not have to give half his money to anyone. You work for it, its yours. I think the Liberals have become very communistic and I am totally against it.

Liberals labor under a number of delusions. One of which is that there is a finite amount of wealth and rich people are preventing everyone else from getting rich. Liberals would rather live in a state of shared misery than live in a state of economic liberty where they would have to take risks.

As a young man in college I was not always the most diligent student. One weekend, near the end of term, was particularly eventful and I found myself on Monday morning sitting, looking at a Dynamics final and no memory of any of the fine formulas we had studied that semester. Then I remembered F=ma. From that kernel I was able to derive all of the formulas I needed and ended up doing pretty well. More importantly, I realized the importance of fundamental concepts; I found that if one has a good understanding of core principles the smaller details are easier to work out. This led me a few years ago to ask myself, aside from the individual policies which align my thinking with “liberals”; why am I a liberal?

After some consideration I arrived on four succinct statements, which I believe also gave me some insight to what motivates the “other” side.

I am a parent.
As a parent I will do anything within my power to advantage my child.
I am a citizen.
As a citizen I believe it is vitally important that we write rules that prevent that.

It is only natural that parents do all they can for their children, however as wealth accumulates this presents a threat to democracy. This is the threat that concerned Jefferson when he spoke of the need for inheritance taxes, not as a form of revenue but a means to protect the democracy from citizens that might become too powerful, and then threaten the will of the people. It is easy to see how this has become the case in America today.

The dangers of inherited wealth to our economy are not unlike monarchy to the health of any nation, when power is derived from birthright rather than one’s labor it is more often foolishly applied. As more and more of our economy becomes “inherited wealth” it becomes more of a target for con men and less a tool for innovators. The world’s financial power has been diverted from improving the human condition into money making schemes designed to enrich those who create them.

I do have some specific suggestions that I feel would be helpful long term:

Public financing for public elections
Flat rate Social Security Tax, first dollar to last all forms of income
Index minimum wage to the average increase in CEO pay for the S&P 500

That’s about it, that shouldn’t be too hard to do, right?

This has got to be one of the lamest posts I've ever read. You start off with Engineering course Dynamics and the formula F=ma which gave you the ability to derive all of the formulas you needed. Nice. But then you took a completely different turn. You said you'd "do anything within my power to advantage my child" and linked that to inheritance taxes. What the what? Seriously, were you drunk when you posted this because you're not making much sense here.

Interesting, becoming a Father has made me even more conservative than I was before. I want to preserve liberty and the Republic so my daughter can be free. I want to teach her and fulfill my responsibilities, not outsource them to the government. I want to be her hero, not some politician.

Interesting, becoming a Father has made me even more conservative than I was before. I want to preserve liberty and the Republic so my daughter can be free. I want to teach her and fulfill my responsibilities, not outsource them to the government. I want to be her hero, not some politician.

That is exactly what i said in my post, I too would do all I could for my son, I just know that is how Monarchies are born and I don't think we should allow that to occur.

So it becomes necessary to do together what none of us would do on our own, we have to agree that no one's child should rule (or own) the Land.

damn chicken cons....

Chicken of what??? You???

Seriously???

Fearful of free men.

THAT is what those in power most fear.

People who are no longer buying into their bullshit.

Some of those people are thinking like conservatives, but they KNOW the plan is bullshit.

Some of those people are thinking like liberals, but they too KNOW the plan is bullshit.

But as long as the MASTERS can convince the conservatives that the problems are caused by liberalisms, and the liberals, that the problems are caused by conservativism, they know that they will always be able to keep the people at each other throats, thus they know that they will stay in power.

YOu partisans are damned fools.

Forget labels, look at the facts.

You neighbors are NOT you enemies.

Your master most definitely ARE.

As a young man in college I was not always the most diligent student. One weekend, near the end of term, was particularly eventful and I found myself on Monday morning sitting, looking at a Dynamics final and no memory of any of the fine formulas we had studied that semester. Then I remembered F=ma. From that kernel I was able to derive all of the formulas I needed and ended up doing pretty well. More importantly, I realized the importance of fundamental concepts; I found that if one has a good understanding of core principles the smaller details are easier to work out. This led me a few years ago to ask myself, aside from the individual policies which align my thinking with “liberals”; why am I a liberal?

After some consideration I arrived on four succinct statements, which I believe also gave me some insight to what motivates the “other” side.

I am a parent.
I am a citizen.
As a citizen I believe it is vitally important that we write rules that prevent that.

It is only natural that parents do all they can for their children, however as wealth accumulates this presents a threat to democracy. This is the threat that concerned Jefferson when he spoke of the need for inheritance taxes, not as a form of revenue but a means to protect the democracy from citizens that might become too powerful, and then threaten the will of the people. It is easy to see how this has become the case in America today.

The dangers of inherited wealth to our economy are not unlike monarchy to the health of any nation, when power is derived from birthright rather than one’s labor it is more often foolishly applied. As more and more of our economy becomes “inherited wealth” it becomes more of a target for con men and less a tool for innovators. The world’s financial power has been diverted from improving the human condition into money making schemes designed to enrich those who create them.

This has got to be one of the lamest posts I've ever read. You start off with Engineering course Dynamics and the formula F=ma which gave you the ability to derive all of the formulas you needed. Nice. But then you took a completely different turn. You said you'd "do anything within my power to advantage my child" and linked that to inheritance taxes. What the what? Seriously, were you drunk when you posted this because you're not making much sense here.

I agree with you completely, X. So one of the biggest things that a parent can do for their children...making enough money that those children are financially secure...Great Day thinks we should get rid of because it's going to bring back the Monarchy? LOL Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. How does your being able to build wealth and leave it to your family instead of having the government seize it upon your death bring a "King" back to America? If anything the idea that the government has the right to seize a citizen's property from that citizen's child upon their death is conferring King like powers to the government that we formed to escape such tyranny.

Death taxes are simply one more way that the government attempts to steal money from those who worked hard for it. That isn't "their" money...it isn't "the people's" money...it belongs to the individual who earned it and they should be able to bequeath that money as they see fit.

I am a parent.
I am a citizen.

I agree with you completely, X. So one of the biggest things that a parent can do for their children...making enough money that those children are financially secure...Great Day thinks we should get rid of because it's going to bring back the Monarchy? LOL Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. How does your being able to build wealth and leave it to your family instead of having the government seize it upon your death bring a "King" back to America? If anything the idea that the government has the right to seize a citizen's property from that citizen's child upon their death is conferring King like powers to the government that we formed to escape such tyranny.

Death taxes are simply one more way that the government attempts to steal money from those who worked hard for it. That isn't "their" money...it isn't "the people's" money...it belongs to the individual who earned it and they should be able to bequeath that money as they see fit.

With a name like "oldstyle" one would think you would have more knowledge of the "old ways" where did you think Kingdoms come from? Were you buying that "hand of God" crap? How naive can you be?

What I am saying is that more and more of the economy falls into weaker and weaker hands through inheritances it naturally makes America weaker overall, may not be what people want to hear, but it's the truth.

Tell me what limits would you put on money and it's ability to purchase things?

How does that differ from Monarchy?

I am a parent.
I am a citizen.

Sorry didn't know the short buss had pulled up I will slow it down for you if you like.

First off, wouldn't you also do all you could for your child?

It's an adult's world, comrade...You want things better for your children, then raise them right and quit shoving that responsibility off onto society.

Yeah we should just "know our place" and let the Royals, those born to "good" families run things, but you know when see so many incompetent fools holding on to all the job creating capital while willing workers sit hat in hand, makes you think maybe we should shake things up every generation and make sure the smartest people are running the job engine....

It may sound hard hearted but we got to do what works, not just what makes us "feel good".

It's an adult's world, comrade...You want things better for your children, then raise them right and quit shoving that responsibility off onto society.

Yeah we should just "know our place" and let the Royals, those born to "good" families run things, but you know when see so many incompetent fools holding on to all the job creating capital while willing workers sit hat in hand, makes you think maybe we should shake things up every generation and make sure the smartest people are running the job engine....

It may sound hard hearted but we got to do what works, not just what makes us "feel good".

Gotcha, freedom isn't when people compete to accumulate wealth, it's when we accumulate wealth in our political leaders. I think I know why oddball is calling you "comrade"....

Gotcha, freedom isn't when people compete to accumulate wealth, it's when we accumulate wealth in our political leaders. I think I know why oddball is calling you "comrade"....

Freedom is a lot of things, and money isn't "freedom" , how about the freedom to see a doctor when you're sick or the freedom to go to any school you work hard enough to get into? Freedom can be a lot of things, those that would place their children in place to rule the land and strip the rest of any freedom would have you believe that the only freedom that matters is the freedom to use your wealth in any way you wish to serve whatever purpose you choose even if that deigns others of freedom.

They like Romney, treat any who have nothing but their lives to offer as if they are dependent on the good will of "job creators" that the little people live only due to the benevolence of the wealthy.

If you know nothing of the zeal with which they guard their ranks you are naive indeed:

Class Matters - Social Class in the United States of America - The New York Times

how about the freedom to see a doctor when you're sick or the freedom to go to any school you work hard enough to get into?

Spending your own money is not freedom, spending other people's money is. You're a wealth of useful information, thanks comrade...

Goddamn, are you one bitter and envious little wretch! :lol:

P.S...Don't teach that to your chilluns. ;)

And stop wanting to deny others what you can't do on your own.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back