Who's to Blame

signelect

Rookie
Dec 10, 2010
Houston, TX
This is my first attempt at starting a new thread. I read over and over about whose fault it is that something in going wrong in Washington. I never see anybody who seems to feel that the fault lies with those of us who vote. These guys can't get there if we don't elect them so if Obama is too blame so is everyone who voted for him. The same goes for Bush. We "the voters" need to step up and quit blaming the other guy, we are the ones at fault.

This is my first attempt at starting a new thread. I read over and over about whose fault it is that something in going wrong in Washington. I never see anybody who seems to feel that the fault lies with those of us who vote. These guys can't get there if we don't elect them so if Obama is too blame so is everyone who voted for him. The same goes for Bush. We "the voters" need to step up and quit blaming the other guy, we are the ones at fault.

We get the government we deserve.

Nearly all our problems stem from letting our reactionaries control our politics.

We have met the enemy and he is us.

If people would vote with their brains instead of their hearts, we'd all be better off.

Right. We need at least a three party system instead of two.

I know that technically there are usually more than two parties on a ballot but it doesn't matter.

Democrats and Republicans always have it locked up so it always boils down to "Conservatives" vs. "Liberals" when really there's no difference between the two once they get into office.

Romney did the same thing Obama has done with healthcare in Massachussets and if elected president he will simply dissapoint his supporters when he realizes it's going to be in his best interest to leave the Affordable Care Act alone!

Just watch.

I know that technically there are usually more than two parties on a ballot but it doesn't matter.

Democrats and Republicans always have it locked up so it always boils down to "Conservatives" vs. "Liberals" when really there's no difference between the two once they get into office.

Romney did the same thing Obama has done with healthcare in Massachussets and if elected president he will simply dissapoint his supporters when he realizes it's going to be in his best interest to leave the Affordable Care Act alone!

Just watch.

Bingo. The repubs can use Obamacare as a campaign issue but they have no intention of repealing it (if they repeal it then why would you vote for them?). It's a variation of the old "pro life" scam.

Just watch.

Yes, campaign finance reform is a big issue that needs implementation but lets say that you get rid of the money needed to run campaigns. The money just goes into issue ads at that point and those people will expect payback.

The large problem is with the Constitution (here I go again). There are no rules for the Congress laid out in the Constitution and since there are 535 political animals staffing the Congress; politics shapes nearly every decision. You mentioned Romney. If Romney does pull off a miracle and wins; the debt ceiling will be another choice in the Congressional elevators; push a button and it rises. If Obama wins, the debt ceiling may as well be stricken from the dictionaries since none will speak it's name again on the right side of the aisle.

We need, desperately, a more-perfect Constitution to set the rules. It is, very truthfully, the ONLY document that is respected by all sides and it's respect is fleeting. I'm really surprised that the party that doesn't control the White House hasn't opened up a third house of the legislature yet. The CBO isn't trusted any longer. Conservatives (for the time being) hate the Supreme Court. The left doesn't trust the Pentagon and it's requests for this program or that program. Etc...

So we need to write rules into the Constitution that requires one house to have an up or down vote on the business of the other house within 60-90 days. We need to write rules into the Constitution that prohibits these very liberal vacations these representatives of ours get. We need to make all elections publicly financed as to where if you get X number of names on a petition, you get X amounts of dollars to advertise and the local TV/Radio/Newspapers must air/print them. We need to find a formula that ties the budgets agreed to by the House/Senate/President to the GDP.

Just watch.

Perhaps if we had three viable candidates, people would stop voting party and look at which has the resume, talent and integrity to lead this nation.

But the way our system is set up, it would be hard for that to work. We would need decades of establishing a viable, say independent or "other" party so voters wouldn't think they were merely throwing their vote away.

And that wuld take a great deal of money and the other two parties would scream that special interest, even if it was a ground roots movement.

I don't understand why people bitch so much about the idiots in Washington but continually re-elect them to Congress. Throw the bums out. Don't vote for anybody that's been a career politician for ages. Break the cycle of stupidity.

I don't understand why people bitch so much about the idiots in Washington but continually re-elect them to Congress. Throw the bums out. Don't vote for anybody that's been a career politician for ages. Break the cycle of stupidity.

There is a downside to that, freshman congressmen are nothing until they win a second term, by then they are career politicians. It takes a certain narcissistic mindset to even run for office that almost precludes any chance of getting anyone that will put the people first before their party and position. Your average ex athlete, soldier, car dealer, lawyer that runs for their first national office is a clueless easily corruptible newb. Reform the lobbying industry and get much better results than sending a bunch of new lambs to confront the Machiavellian influence buyers and entrenched bureaucrats.

Forum List

Back