Who's Heard of the Military Sealift Command?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Ships manned mostly by civilians.

My first introduction to this little-known military group was in 1958 when I made a luxury cruise from Brooklyn Navy Yard to Bremerhaven, Germany. I don't remember whether is was the USNS Patch or USNS Rose. In either case, all these years later I clearly remember the stink of too many bodies too close together mixed with oil and salt water. I had the thrill of one more trip, returning from Europe to CONUS some years later. I doubt either ship is still in service. (I wrote a piece about this on my blog @ A Soldier's Stories: An Army Ocean Cruise)

But, the MSC is still there providing fuel and supplies to combat sips of the navy.

image.jpg

MSC last year transported twice the ordnance, three times the critical parts and one-third more cargo in Europe and Africa than in 2016, according to data from the command, which operates about 110 noncombatant ships worldwide.

page1-600px-Military_Sealift_Command_ships_2018.pdf.jpg

A bit more about them can be found @ With Navy strained, Sealift Command crews eye greater military role

This article is @ Navy’s civilian-run ships playing bigger supply role amid Russia tensions

Been aboard a few MSC ships in port.... back in the '70s.

..much cheaper to pay for the civilians?
..I think they went to civilian guards on some of the naval bases that used to be guarded by the USMC--saving $$$$
--110 ships--that's a lot!--but they are not full time...?..that's good for the taxpayer

Forum List

Back