Who Would You Like To See Run For President In 2008?

jillian said:
Thank you. ;)

Besides, I thought this thread was about who we'd like to see run in 2008. But we digress. :cheers2:
He's wrong and it was you that digressed.

Gem said:
Ed Rendell, Jillian???!!!???

The man tried to disenfranchise military voters in his state by trying to throw out every single absentee military ballot in the state of Pennsylvania in the last election!! The man is a thug.

I don't live in PA, so wasn't aware of that. Did he try to throw out the absentee ballot for no reason or was there a procedural defect? Just curious. Thanks for the info, though. I'd like to know more about it.

I just figure he's a moderate dem who knows how to talk straight.

Jillian,

The ballots were to be thrown out because they had been sent out early and had included Nader as a 3rd party option. When the actual election came around he had already been removed from local ballots, but because the absentee ballots had to be sent in advance (you know...to reach places like Iraq and Afganistan, where young American citizens were fighting to bring people the right to vote) they included Naders name.

Rather than simply not count the absentee ballots that voted for Nader, Rendell made a somewhat quick and quiet decision to simply not count any absentee ballots send before Nader's name was removed...which would have affected all military ballots sent overseas.

Luckily, the media got ahold of it, and for a week or so, Rendell had to hem and haw his way through trying to disenfranchise military members who lived in his state but were serving out of state and/or overseas.

He eventually allowed that the ballots that had a vote for Nader would not be counted and all others would be.

As a military spouse who was living outside of PA at the time because my husband was serving his country in the USAF...I can tell you he and I were more than a little pissed at Rendell for trying to discount our votes. And considering that approximately 90-95% of the military ballots in PA were statistically going to Bush/Cheney...it was more than a little suspicious.

Rendell isn't a straight-shooting moderate. If you are truly interested I'll try to dig up some local articles on him for you. Outside of Philly, he is generally thought of as a sleazy union thug...not someone worth voting for again for govenor, let alone Prez.

jillian said:
Not really. It emphasizes the point Nuc just made, which is that this is an extraordinarily divided electorate. But I can see where you might not like the stat.

Just the same as you don't like the stat that more people voted for George W. Bush than any other president in history, which in turn makes your stat irrelevant. :thup:

I do find it interesting, however, that you say people voted against President Bush and not for John Kerry.

I'm liking Mitt Romney more and more. I don't agree with him on everything, but I gave up trying to find someone I agree with on everything a long time ago. One of the main things that first caught my eye about Romney is his stance on education. Looks like a good guy. He hasn't said he will run yet, but also avoids saying that he won't run.

mom4 said:
Alan Keyes
Mom4, he was a loser for governor here in Illinois. He played the race card in the end. Why do you choose him?

Nuc said:
He was a sacrificial lamb in that election.
Actually I think he was a suicide candidate, he just didn't recognize Illinois politics.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I do find it interesting, however, that you say people voted against President Bush and not for John Kerry.

Seems like that's the case nowadays. Hate (or at least dislike) seems to motivate voters more than excitement over anybody's ideas.

Kathianne said:
Mom4, he was a loser for governor here in Illinois. He played the race card in the end. Why do you choose him?
I guess my opinion of him was based on older info.

Obama for pres - Hillary for V.P. Scare the living shit out of the Neo-Cons. :p:

Nuc said:
Don't you think it would have to be a winning ticket to scare the neo-cons?

Well, between them and Bush’s self-sabotage, it should be a piece of cake. 12 million more citizens by then, that we don’t have now - and they’re sure as Hell not going to be voting Republican. It could happen.

If ‘McNasty’ runs - I’m voting for the Republican ticket (holding my nose with a clothespin).

Forum List

Back