Who Would You Like To See Run For President In 2008?

Kathianne said:
Today it looks like Hillary has a 'lock' on Democrat nomination, but that is not a sure thing. Regardless of your politics, who would you like to see run in 2008? What issues are the most important to you?

Newt. With illegal immigration number one.

I like Tim Kaine of Virginia. It won't happen of course, because he is a moderate in the Democratic Party, but I like him nonetheless. A Kaine/Biden ticket could be dangerous. An experienced executive matched with a senior statesman. As for my beloved GOP, I like Mitt Romney. He has the balls to get things done. Pair him up with Sec. Rice and look out.

onthefence said:
I like Tim Kaine of Virginia. It won't happen of course, because he is a moderate in the Democratic Party, but I like him nonetheless. A Kaine/Biden ticket could be dangerous. An experienced executive matched with a senior statesman. As for my beloved GOP, I like Mitt Romney. He has the balls to get things done. Pair him up with Sec. Rice and look out.

I like Romney. I know he has character and knows how to get things done. What he did with the Olympics a few years ago was amazing and the fact that he has been fighting the libs so hard in Massachusetts, especially on family values, impresses me.

Of course, id rather see who is going to run before i make any final decisions on anything. But i think he has potential if people give him a chance.

I like Romney. I know he has character and knows how to get things done. What he did with the Olympics a few years ago was amazing and the fact that he has been fighting the libs so hard in Massachusetts, especially on family values, impresses me.

Of course, id rather see who is going to run before i make any final decisions on anything. But i think he has potential if people give him a chance.

I'm pretty sure he's going to run. He obviously hasn't announced, because it's far too early, but every time he's asked about it he smiles reals big and says something like, "You never know what the future holds."

Nuc said:
Seems like that's the case nowadays. Hate (or at least dislike) seems to motivate voters more than excitement over anybody's ideas.

I agree. It's just not often you actually hear someone say it. Or read someone say it, as it were.

My candidate says he is not running--period--so I will have to wait and see who runs and what the issues turn out to be. I do like Condi, Rudy and Mitt Romney because of the experience they would bring to the job. I would like to see Romney in the second spot. The libs must see him as a threat; they've already begun their campaign on him.

As for as issues go--where to start? No scarcity there: Immigration, WOT, alternative energy, national debt, globalization, ethics........

jillian said:
I know the right would LOVE Hillary to have the nomination, but she's far too divisive a candidate and the right's biggest fantasy.

You are so right, Jillian. We would love nothing better. "Shillary" would not carry a single red state. With Hillary as the Dem candidate, I can guarantee you that no Republican will stay home on election day.

...he didn't win the popular vote in 2000, remember?

Does not matter at all since presidents are elected in the Electoral College. And George W. was not the first president who did not win the popular vote, so he is not unique in that regard.

More people voted against thim in 2004 than ever voted against a presidential candidate.

Moot point since 3-1/2 million more people voted for George W. than "Skerry,"
making for an easy victory in the Electoral College.

Well maybe thats the problem. you are looking for eloquence. im looking for substance. Liberalism in a nice sounding package is still liberalism and still going to fail.

Yes - being able to speak without a strictly rehearsed speech and teams of handlers to keep you from misspeaking is much better. JFK wasn’t much of a leader and really never inspired anyone to do anything of consequence. Churchill was certainly a hack too - and had to have people tell him what to say to Hitler.

(shoot me - shoot me now).

The Senator from Arizona is the kind of character I’d gladly vote for as president, but I think Ol’ McNasty’s a bit too honest for 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and might hurt quite a few people’s delicate feelings.

:salute:

Adam's Apple said:
You are so right, Jillian. We would love nothing better. "Shillary" would not carry a single red state. With Hillary as the Dem candidate, I can guarantee you that no Republican will stay home on election day.

I know... already said that. :)

Which is why if it were up to me, that wouldn't ever be an issue.

Does not matter at all since presidents are elected in the Electoral College. And George W. was not the first president who did not win the popular vote, so he is not unique in that regard.

True. But nor did it give him a "mandate" of any kind for the type of radical positions he takes.

Moot point since 3-1/2 million more people voted for George W. than "Skerry," making for an easy victory in the Electoral College.

The name was Kerry (or I could call Bush "shrub"... but kinda destroys reasonable discussion to do that type of thing, IMO).... and it wasn't such an "easy" victory as it came down to one state -- Ohio. A second term president, if he were any good, should have won by the kind of victory that Clinton had during his second run or, ideally for the incumbant, a win like Reagan or Nixon had. Your guy came thisclose to being just like his daddy. Again, a win's a win, but nothing to crow over and certainly nothing giving him a mandate of any type.

Darwins Friend said:
The Senator from Arizona is the kind of character I’d gladly vote for as president, but I think Ol’ McNasty’s a bit too honest for 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and might hurt quite a few people’s delicate feelings.

McCain's utter contempt for freedom of political speech is more than enough reason not to vote for him. A vote for McCain is a vote against freedom of speech.

gop_jeff said:
McCain's utter contempt for freedom of political speech is more than enough reason not to vote for him. A vote for McCain is a vote against freedom of speech.

Can you sight a direct example of when he’s expressed (not just somehow implied) that?

Darwins Friend said:

We finally agree on something. McCain has the cojones needed for the job these days. I would gladly vote for McCain/Romney ticket.

Adam's Apple said:
My candidate says he is not running--period--so I will have to wait and see who runs and what the issues turn out to be. I do like Condi, Rudy and Mitt Romney because of the experience they would bring to the job. I would like to see Romney in the second spot. The libs must see him as a threat; they've already begun their campaign on him.

As for as issues go--where to start? No scarcity there: Immigration, WOT, alternative energy, national debt, globalization, ethics........

I think Rudy would be a better running mate than actual candidate. I think his pro choice position would prevent him from ever becoming the nominee, but his experience would be valuable and i think having him on the ticket would have a strong effect in New York, perhaps enough to make it a swing state.

Like I said I think Romney is my top choice right now. And i know he will run. And of the people that im confident would be running, he seems to be one with strong executive experience. The problem when legislators try to run for President is they get too bogged down in details, have no ability to delegate and basically the weight of their egos tend to stall the efficiency of the campaign. Sort of like what happened with Kerry.

Darwins Friend said:

Yeah I am sure any of us really want to the guy who is single handedly waging a war on the first amendment and the fact that he seems to think that because he served in the military he is character is unimpeachable kind of irks me. I respect alot of people who served, but that doesnt immunize them from criticism when i think they are wrong about something.

Not only that but I have serious problems when the man who says "Im corrupt we are all corrupt so we need to change the system so that im not tempted to be corrupt" If you are corrupt, step down and let someone who isnt serve the people instead. Like im expected to believe the Corrupt politicians (I know a redundancy) are going to charitably change the laws so they will no longer be corrupted by power and money? Thats like leaving the fox in charge of the hen house. And the Incumbant proteciton act. AKA McCain Fiengold is a perfect example of that. The fact that politicians have gotten away with making it illegal to criticize them on tv before an election is an outrage.

Yeah ill vote for this guy, when hell freezes over. Or when the devil herself is running against him.

Darwins Friend said:
Can you sight a direct example of when he’s expressed (not just somehow implied) that?

Read the bolded parts. Or did you forget about events that occurred four years ago?

Major provisions of the McCain-Feingold Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 (BCRA):

* A wholesale prohibition on soft money contributions and expenditure to national political parties -- unlimited donations nominally made for non-campaign purposes, but potentially used to influence federal elections.
* A prohibition on soft money contributions and expenditure to state and local political parties, with a few limited exceptions.
* Federal candidates and officeholders prohibited from accepting or spending soft money.
* A ban on supposedly non-partisan "issue ads" funded by soft money from corporations and labor unions - those referring to candidates for federal election without expressly advocating their election or defeat -- in the 60 days prior to a general election, or 30 days prior to a primary election.

* Disclosure of sources of finance for "electioneering communications" in excess of $10,000 per year.
* A political party spending money in a general election campaign must choose between making coordinated expenditures on behalf of its candidate, or independent expenditures on behalf of its candidate, but not both. (Ruled unconstitutional in McConnell v. FEC, but later upheld by the Supreme Court)
* Minors are prohibited from making contributions to candidates and political parties. (Ruled unconstitutional in McConnell v. FEC, but later upheld by the Supreme Court)
* Hard money legal limits raised:
o Limit for individual contributions per candidate per election increased from $1,000 to $2,000.
o Limit for individual contributions to National Party Committees increased from $20,000 to $25,000 per year.
o Limit for individual contributions to state and local party committees increased from $5,000 to $10,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCain-Feingold

Darwins Friend said:
Yes - being able to speak without a strictly rehearsed speech and teams of handlers to keep you from misspeaking is much better.

Uh huh.

"If the...if he...if is means is and never has been, that is not - that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement." - President Bill Clinton stumbling on the definition of the word "is" during grand jury testimony.

See what happens when even the used car salesman is pushed? He didn't have the safety of reporters letting him get away with not answering a question, he couldn't just walk away, he didn't have his team of handlers or his polished speech, and when he was pushed he came off looking like an idiot.

In fact, we haven't had a round of Democrats Say Stupid Things Too in awhile. Of course, we haven't had anybody dense enough to dig up those bones in awhile either. So, a short version...

Democrats Say Stupid Things Too

Some are stupid, some are ironic, and some are just pretty damn funny.

"I think the president can claim executive privilege, but when it comes to an appointment to the Supreme Court, you can't be playing hide the salami, or whatever it is." - Howard Dean on Hardball commenting on the nomination of Harreit Miers to the Supreme Court

"As women and as lawyers, we must never again shy from raising our voices against sexual harassment." - Hillary Clinton at a 1992 American Bar Association luncheon honoring Anita Hill

"My husband may have his faults, but he has never lied to me." - from page 465 of Hillary Clinton's book "Living History"

"The American people are tired of liars and people who pretend to be something they're not." - Hillary Clinton in a 1992 "60 Minutes" interview

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees." - Bill Clinton in an August 12, 1993 speech

"No question that an admission of making false statements to government officials and interfering with the FBI is an impeachable offense." - Congressional candidate Bill Clinton in a 1974 Arkansas Gazette interview

"An innocent bureaucratic snafu." - President Clinton attempting to explain what 900 Republican FBI files were doing in the White House

"If the...if he...if is means is and never has been, that is not - that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement." - So funny, it's worth repeating

"Just keep the cockpit door closed. You can put up a sign in Arab - this is, say, type-casting, but say 'Try to hijack, go to jail.' " - Senator Fritz Hollings on preventing another 9/11 type terrorist attack

"I tell you, that Michael Jackson is unbelievable! Isn't he? He's just unbelievable. Three plays in twenty seconds." - Al Gore commenting on basketball star Michael Jordan

"An incomplete success." - President Jimmy Carter in 1980 describing the disastrous attempt to rescue American hostages in Iran

Yeah I am sure any of us really want to the guy who is single handedly waging a war on the first amendment and the fact that he seems to think that because he served in the military he is character is unimpeachable kind of irks me. I respect alot of people who served, but that doesnt immunize them from criticism when i think they are wrong about something.

Not only that but I have serious problems when the man who says "Im corrupt we are all corrupt so we need to change the system so that im not tempted to be corrupt" If you are corrupt, step down and let someone who isnt serve the people instead. Like im expected to believe the Corrupt politicians (I know a redundancy) are going to charitably change the laws so they will no longer be corrupted by power and money? Thats like leaving the fox in charge of the hen house. And the Incumbant proteciton act. AKA McCain Fiengold is a perfect example of that. The fact that politicians have gotten away with making it illegal to criticize them on tv before an election is an outrage.

Yeah ill vote for this guy, when hell freezes over. Or when the devil herself is running against him.

Having only served with the man - I wouldn’t know, but at least I know how to quote him correctly and not out of context in a slight-of-hand and chickenshit way:

"In truth, we are all shortchanged by soft money, liberal and conservative alike. All of our ideals are sacrificed. We are all corrupted. I know that is a harsh judgment. But it is, I am sorry to say, a fair judgment. And even if our own consciences were to allow us to hide from it, the people we are privileged to serve will not."

Forum List

Back