Who Pays for Tariffs? You do.

Well, mostly you. It depends on price elasticity.

As you can see, prices are rising for goods that have been affected by Trump's higher taxes on trade, and falling for those that have not.

The Daily Shot: The Cost of Inadequate Infrastructure
Who Pays the Trump Tariffs? We Do, These Americans Say
And who pays when you tax ‘the rich’?
And who pays gas taxes?
And who pays the taxes on transporting goods?

As you can see, prices are rising for goods that have been affected by Trump's higher taxes on trade, and falling for those that have not.

And who pays gas taxes?
And who pays the taxes on transporting goods?
The answer is us, except the Chinese tariffs, those the Chinese pay (by compressing their margins to cover the tariff).

At lease they did when the tariff was ten percent. It will be interesting to see if they can continue this with 25% tariffs. Looks like Trump just may find out that Chinese goods have a LOT of mark up!

For Trump, trade wars are easy to win!

images

Supply and Demand still triumphs all formulas just have to factor in the new costs. You still can't sell stuff for more than people are willing to pay.
Unless you manufacture gasoline.
Not really. Only 8% of the cost of gasoline is made up of the refiners cost. Taxes are over 2.6 times that.

Gas-Pump-3.jpg

Gas Prices Explained
Chevron in Vegas is charging $3.50 per gallon for regular unleaded. Subtract taxes and jobber costs of $0.57 cents. Is it any wonder they had $14.8B in earnings in 2018?
8% to refine it does not strike me as unreasonable.

21% in taxes though, that does strike me as high.

Yet the "21%" doesn't fully pay for roadways.

Supply and Demand still triumphs all formulas just have to factor in the new costs. You still can't sell stuff for more than people are willing to pay.
Not really. Only 8% of the cost of gasoline is made up of the refiners cost. Taxes are over 2.6 times that.

Gas-Pump-3.jpg

Gas Prices Explained
Chevron in Vegas is charging $3.50 per gallon for regular unleaded. Subtract taxes and jobber costs of $0.57 cents. Is it any wonder they had $14.8B in earnings in 2018?

Of course not.
Too busy paying for bike paths and bullet trains to nowhere.

And who pays gas taxes?

Those that use roadways. Except for me, I drive Tesla's.

Gas-Pump-3.jpg

Gas Prices Explained

Of course not.
Too busy paying for bike paths and bullet trains to nowhere.

Even excusing your elementary argument the 21% still wouldn't.

The Free Rider Myth - Who Really Pays for the Roads?

B3-EA599_Dshot_NS_20190517035505.png

What a great way to illustrate the success and value of these tariffs! Now you have a VERY GOOD REASON to buy goods not from tariffed China and to by other imports unaffected! They will actually SAVE YOU MONEY!

As sales go down, importers will import less from China unable to pass the cost onto anyone.

This is really going to hurt China bad and sooner or later, they are going to have to deal with Trump! Go Trump!

B3-EA599_Dshot_NS_20190517035505.png

The rich.
You really are stupid to think costs are not passed down.

Well, next Monday, if Trump hasn't gotten a trade deal with China, they are going to raise tariffs on products coming into their country. That will result in Trump raising tariffs again on Chinese goods, resulting in higher prices across the country. I expect to see it's effect by mid June if Trump and China can't come to some agreement.

Well, next Monday, if Trump hasn't gotten a trade deal with China, they are going to raise tariffs on products coming into their country. That will result in Trump raising tariffs again on Chinese goods, resulting in higher prices across the country. I expect to see it's effect by mid June if Trump and China can't come to some agreement.
Chinese goods need to cost more so they will pay Americans to make them here. Then more Americans can afford them because they'll have jobs that pay living wages.

Chinese goods need to cost more so they will pay Americans to make them here. Then more Americans can afford them because they'll have jobs that pay living wages.

Nice dream, but who is going to build the factories that we currently don't have to make those things that China does?

Nice dream, but who is going to build the factories that we currently don't have to make those things that China does?
Americans.

Americans.

So, what do we do for goods in the two to several years it would take for the factory to get built? Yeah, it's nice to say that Americans would build factories and staff them with Americans, but who is really going to make that kind of investment? Most of the CEO's have been too busy moving jobs overseas, what makes you think they will build factories and bring them back?

Americans.

So, what do we do for goods in the two to several years it would take for the factory to get built? Yeah, it's nice to say that Americans would build factories and staff them with Americans, but who is really going to make that kind of investment? Most of the CEO's have been too busy moving jobs overseas, what makes you think they will build factories and bring them back?
If we don't go through the pain now the pain will be worse when we go through it later.

Americans.

If we don't go through the pain now the pain will be worse when we go through it later.

All you are offering is platitudes, with no real solution. Yes, it is easy to say "just make it here in America", but it is quite another thing to make it happen. How are you going to convince the big money investors to get the factories built? They won't see a return on their money for several years after things get running, and I don't really know of too many investors willing to do that.

That's one of the things that has been happening in this country since the early 80's. How do I know? Because my Grandparents were strong "buy American" people, and after a while, the only place my Grandfather could get his shoes was by mail order from some place in the central part of the country.

I noticed it myself. And, it's one of the main reasons that I rode Trek bicycles for so long, and still own a Lemond Zurich (which is made by Trek, an American company).

Forum List

Back