Who Pays for Tariffs? You do.

Unless the product you want to buy is not imported from a tariffed country. ;)

I bet China lowers tariffs on imported pork soon, if they haven't already.

There's always the "middleman" countries that can make a few bucks by getting around the tariffs.

Unless there are components within the product that are sourced from tariff imposed countries.
Whatever the case, the tariffs are not causing consumer price inflation as was predicted; instead, inflation is well below even the Fed's target of 2%.

Except for food and energy which off-set any gains in your pay.

You know, just wait until around the second week of June, and then tell me that the tariffs on Chinese goods aren't being passed on to the American consumer.

Why do I say that? Because China said they won't raise tariffs until after June 1st, because they were hoping for a decent deal.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

China announced that it will increase tariffs imposed on about $60 billion of U.S. goods in retaliation for President Donald Trump’s latest escalation of the trade war.

The tariffs will take effect on June 1, according to a statement on the Ministry of Finance’s website on Monday. The charges will thereby be raised on most of the goods listed on a previous retaliation list effective last September.

There's always the "middleman" countries that can make a few bucks by getting around the tariffs.

Unless there are components within the product that are sourced from tariff imposed countries.
Whatever the case, the tariffs are not causing consumer price inflation as was predicted; instead, inflation is well below even the Fed's target of 2%.

Except for food and energy which off-set any gains in your pay.
PCE includes food and energy. Tariffs simply have NOT resulted in the consumer price hikes predicted by the "experts".
fredgraph.png

Well, mostly you. It depends on price elasticity.

As you can see, prices are rising for goods that have been affected by Trump's higher taxes on trade, and falling for those that have not.

The Daily Shot: The Cost of Inadequate Infrastructure
Who Pays the Trump Tariffs? We Do, These Americans Say
The CPI that includes all goods looks just fine. Inflation is so tame that the Fed is no longer raising rates.

Keep in mind that China is one of the filthiest polluters and for every step that Trump weans us from their filthy crap, Gaia breathes a sigh of relief and appreciation toward the US.

I don't mind paying more to support my neighbors job and the Planet, but so far, I'm not even paying more.

BUT DON’T WORRY, WE CAN TRUST THEM TO CUT CO2 EMISSIONS ANY DECADE NOW: China is pumping tons of banned chemicals into the air.
Don't be fooled, inflation ISN'T "so tame." Food and energy prices continue to rise, and both effect/affect the middle class and poor MUCH MORE than the rich/wealthy...
That's an easily checked claim, and it's false. We aren't in an price inflation spiral.

fredgraph.png

..."Weaning us from their filthy crap" is impossible...
Then why has the First Quarter trade deficit with China shrunk by over 12% compared to first quarter 2018?

Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with China

Last edited:

They are having a swine virus wiping out their stock...

Aporkalypse now!

Hitting Chinese Pork.

20190525_CNP001_0.jpg

While the Chinese zodiac celebrated the year of the pig, swine fever, harmless to humans but fatal to porkers, spread across the country. It has walloped the tens of millions of Chinese who depend on pig-rearing for their livelihood. There is no effective vaccine. Experts say that it may take years for China to control the disease.

The virus spreads easily between pigs, especially Chinese pigs, as the cheap animal feed in China often contains pork. It causes hemorrhaging and kills in less than a week with a 90+% death rate.

Aporkalypse now

Aporkalypse now!

Hitting Chinese Pork.

20190525_CNP001_0.jpg

While the Chinese zodiac celebrated the year of the pig, swine fever, harmless to humans but fatal to porkers, spread across the country. It has walloped the tens of millions of Chinese who depend on pig-rearing for their livelihood. There is no effective vaccine. Experts say that it may take years for China to control the disease.

The virus spreads easily between pigs, especially Chinese pigs, as the cheap animal feed in China often contains pork. It causes hemorrhaging and kills in less than a week with a 90+% death rate.

Aporkalypse now
It's either that or their damn chicken viruses...

Aporkalypse now!

Hitting Chinese Pork.

20190525_CNP001_0.jpg

Aporkalypse now
They are a dirty filthy producer. We are doing less business with them and we and the environment are the better for it.

Aporkalypse now!

Hitting Chinese Pork.

20190525_CNP001_0.jpg

Aporkalypse now
They are a dirty filthy producer. We are doing less business with them and we and the environment are the better for it.
See, there is a reason for regulation and environmental controls....

As you can see, prices are rising for goods that have been affected by Trump's higher taxes on trade, and falling for those that have not.

B3-EA599_Dshot_NS_20190517035505.png

So we all can assume from your post that up to this point the fact that consumers have any import tarrifs added to the retail price they pay was news to you? Can we also assume that you were equally as ignorant of the fact that it works exactly the same way on their side of the pond? Also that the parties that suffers the effects of tariffs the most are the makers and exporters of those products as they lose just that much more business and their countries lose just that many more jobs from their economies.

Let us know when you finally get the rest of the balance of trade figured out, dummy.

Aporkalypse now!

Hitting Chinese Pork.

20190525_CNP001_0.jpg

Aporkalypse now
See, there is a reason for regulation and environmental controls....
That's right. We The People grant Congress the power to regulate commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.

So we all can assume from your post that up to this point the fact that consumers have any import tarrifs added to the retail price they pay was news to you?
Do you think tariffs are excluded from PCE? Shall we all assume from your post that their inclusion is news to you? If a tariff hikes the price, but the price is compressed to cover the cost of the tariff, what the hell do I care? In fact, I prefer this, as not only am I enjoying plenty of merchandise available and stable prices, but a fresh flow of billions in revenue is flowing to the US treasury without raising my costs. In fact, what the hell are you complaining about? Are you long-faced that trading with America is now less profitable for the Chinese?
...Can we also assume that you were equally as ignorant of the fact that it works exactly the same way on their side of the pond? Also that the parties that suffers the effects of tariffs the most are the makers and exporters of those products as they lose just that much more business and their countries lose just that many more jobs from their economies...
Trump's job isn't to manage the economy of foreign exporters, his job is to manage the American Position of Trade negotiations. Our GDP is strong, prices are stable, unemployment is low and wages are rising. Despite your baseless claims, we aren't "suffering" and the claims that tariffs would cause us to "suffer" are disconfirmed by the firm facts of our economic data.

If you want to buy dirty Chinese crap and their diseased pork and poultry, you are free to do so.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back