Who Pays for Tariffs? You do.

Chinese goods need to cost more so they will pay Americans to make them here. Then more Americans can afford them because they'll have jobs that pay living wages.

Nice dream, but who is going to build the factories that we currently don't have to make those things that China does?
Americans.

So, what do we do for goods in the two to several years it would take for the factory to get built? Yeah, it's nice to say that Americans would build factories and staff them with Americans, but who is really going to make that kind of investment? Most of the CEO's have been too busy moving jobs overseas, what makes you think they will build factories and bring them back?
If we don't go through the pain now the pain will be worse when we go through it later.

All you are offering is platitudes, with no real solution. Yes, it is easy to say "just make it here in America", but it is quite another thing to make it happen. How are you going to convince the big money investors to get the factories built? They won't see a return on their money for several years after things get running, and I don't really know of too many investors willing to do that.

That's one of the things that has been happening in this country since the early 80's. How do I know? Because my Grandparents were strong "buy American" people, and after a while, the only place my Grandfather could get his shoes was by mail order from some place in the central part of the country.

I noticed it myself. And, it's one of the main reasons that I rode Trek bicycles for so long, and still own a Lemond Zurich (which is made by Trek, an American company).
I'm not the one that needs to convince them to manufacture here. I'm an Unemployed wage slave. Trump, on the other hand will and can. Raise tariffs to make it cheaper to make what you sell here, here. Less regulatory bullshit you have to go through to setup your business. And a good reasonable tax structure for everyone. The goal is make employing Americans paying a living wage as profitable as employing slaves in China for pennies on the dollar. At least for those items you sell in America.

Well, next Monday, if Trump hasn't gotten a trade deal with China, they are going to raise tariffs on products coming into their country. That will result in Trump raising tariffs again on Chinese goods, resulting in higher prices across the country. I expect to see it's effect by mid June if Trump and China can't come to some agreement.

I took a friend to buy a new Bike. He bought a cheap one. Oh,, it's nice but the derailers are going to need to be upgraded quickly. A few months ago, the price on the same bike was 83 bucks. He paid 108. I asked why the price jump and was told it was because of the Tariff increase.

Then I watch the news and Trump says that China will pay for Tariff. And then he goes on bragging about all that extra money this is coming into the Federal Coffers from China. Newsflash, it didn't come from China, it came from the US Citizens when we buy the goods. This is right up there with, "And Mexico will pay for.....". China isn't paying a friggin dime of it. In fact, even if it does have an effect, it will be a decade before the US Manufacturing will be able to recover enough to get those products back onto our shores. China has absolutely nothing to lose on this one and can just bide it's time. China is already going with alternative options. The US doesn't have that many alternative options other than paying more at the checkout. It's not a Tariff, it's a TAX on Us.

Well, next Monday, if Trump hasn't gotten a trade deal with China, they are going to raise tariffs on products coming into their country. That will result in Trump raising tariffs again on Chinese goods, resulting in higher prices across the country. I expect to see it's effect by mid June if Trump and China can't come to some agreement.

I took a friend to buy a new Bike. He bought a cheap one. Oh,, it's nice but the derailers are going to need to be upgraded quickly. A few months ago, the price on the same bike was 83 bucks. He paid 108. I asked why the price jump and was told it was because of the Tariff increase.

Then I watch the news and Trump says that China will pay for Tariff. And then he goes on bragging about all that extra money this is coming into the Federal Coffers from China. Newsflash, it didn't come from China, it came from the US Citizens when we buy the goods. This is right up there with, "And Mexico will pay for.....". China isn't paying a friggin dime of it. In fact, even if it does have an effect, it will be a decade before the US Manufacturing will be able to recover enough to get those products back onto our shores. China has absolutely nothing to lose on this one and can just bide it's time. China is already going with alternative options. The US doesn't have that many alternative options other than paying more at the checkout. It's not a Tariff, it's a TAX on Us.
Have to stop the unfair trade practices of China somehow. Can't continue this lopsided trade forever. Either we do this now or we do it later.

Have to stop the unfair trade practices of China somehow. Can't continue this lopsided trade forever. Either we do this now or we do it later.

I am not saying that it doesn't need to be done but there are other methods that also need to be done that aren't.

1. Put the tariff at 25% on most things NOT agriculture. The reason you leave agriculture alone is, there are other countries standing in line with the same goods.

Brazil picked up the Soybean, for instance. We will NEVER see that come back at the rate it once was.

With the virus in the Chinese Hogs, the US missed a huge market there. Other countries benefited.

Trump seems to believe that the US is the only country that produces all this. We aren't. It hurt China for awhile but as they find alternate sources, they go back to business as usual and still sell to the US since the Tariffs are a percentage rather than a numbers cap and paid for at the Registers.

2. Hit the Chinese manufactured goods for 25% tariff but take that money and give it as tax breaks to companies that are expanding in the US. Reward those companies that return to the US Shores in form of Tax Breaks. Those same tax breaks that were given that only the 1% really showed huge benefits should have been given to those companies that were really creating jobs. Not GM and others that cut jobs. And certainly not Trump Industries and Walmart as well as Amazon.

There are more to it but that's a good start. And stop with the crap of saying "China is going to pay the Tariffs" and bragging about how much money it brings into the Federal Government. China isn't paying for it, we are. And I see it as a Taxation without Representation.

Easy. Read the label. Don't buy anything with a "Made in China" on it.
99% of the stuff. Check your house, clothes, your conman MAGA hats, etc...

Indeed. We have permitted ourselves to become addicted.

Prior to 1980, this would not have been tolerated. But by "Relaxing" of regulations it allowed the greedy corporations to move their operations overseas. In the 90s, they moved them in Caravans led by Walmart forcing many to relocate because Walmart dictated pricing. Yes, Dorathy, that's illegal but when Walmart owns the Politicians who's going to stop them.

Forum List

Back