Who is your favourite despot?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Sodafin, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    One theory of despotism suggests that despotism is unique in that whilst most systems of government produce an actual government, with despotism it is the other way around. Think of it as a chicken and egg situation - Stalin came first, the functions of the Stalinist state followed. Stalin created the state around him, and it existed only as an extension of him as a person. For within a truly despotic state, it is the personality of the leader which defines the functions of the state.

This is true of Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Stroessner, Ceaucescu, Tito and Xoxha, amongst others. Without their leadership, the state could no longer exist, or at least not on its existing form. From the time these leaders died, their states began to wither and corrode, because they lacked the force that had called them into existence.

Despotism requires paranoia and fear in order to build a sense of belonging and community. Within a despotic society - it is us against the world, and you are either for us or against us. There is no neutrality, no third option.

For my money, Stalin created a more perfect despotic state than Hitler, who was driven by rage and personal doubt where Stalin was more calculating, more controlled and more brutally psychotic.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    I have always thought this too, given the horrible choice I would rather have lived under Hitler, just yell out the expected anti Jewish crap, wear the right uniform, and hope no one looks too hard at your family history and you are ok, (until you are sent to the Russian front) but under Stalin no one was safe.

Stalin created the perfect storm of fear, everyone was afraid of him. Even his own family.

Still, my favorite despot is Papa Doc Duvalier.

I know he was a bastard, but I just like the name.

3. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Idi Amin Dada comes in a close second on the clown town name that despot list.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    And Robert Mugabe’s face always gives me a good laugh, he looks like a human-prune hybrid from the Isle of Doctor Moreau.

5. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I agree - under most despots you can make yourself safe by playing the game.

Under Stalin, you were never safe. There was no loyalty strong enough, to bond close enough.

One has to admire the calculation of the violence and insanity that creates that kind of world. Hitler couldn't stop shrieking long enough to actually plan a strategy that could be sustained beyond 3 or 4 years.

6. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    I credit a typical Georgian mother and a quick sojourn in the Orthodox Russian priesthood training program.

7. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,009
    My favorite wannabe despot..

Cheney.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    With that evil grin, he would have made a good despot - but was he really quite in the same class as Mao?

I think not.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Bush.

10. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Good topic, Soda.

The watermelon scheme right now is giving ALL the old despots a run for the money.