Who Is Susan Backlinie? No Googling Allowed.

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Does anyone know who Susan Backlinie was/is? This is a trivia question. No fair Googling her name! We are on the honor system here.

I am interested to see if anyone can come up with what she is famous for, off the top of their heads. She was in a movie which was made in the 1970's.

Remember - NO GOOGLING!

Yes I do know who she is. She was the first victim in a movie that changed the face of summer movies. In fact, the movie set the standard and was, in my opinion, the first "summer blockbuster."

Does anyone know who Susan Backlinie was/is? This is a trivia question. No fair Googling her name! We are on the honor system here.

I am interested to see if anyone can come up with what she is famous for, off the top of their heads. She was in a movie which was made in the 1970's.

Remember - NO GOOGLING!

The Honor System?

You do realize that George cheated on "The Contest".

Remember - NO GOOGLING!

The Honor System?

No. I saw a recent television treatment of the movie she was in.

George Costanza does not cheat! ("Remember, Jerry, it's not a lie if you believe it.")

Last edited:
Yes I do know who she is. She was the first victim in a movie that changed the face of summer movies. In fact, the movie set the standard and was, in my opinion, the first "summer blockbuster."

You are onto it. Let's keep hush hush, and see if anyone else can come up with it.

Remember - NO GOOGLING!!!

70's, first victim. summer blockbuster. GREAT CLUES!

No "first" (which indicates more then one) victims in exorcist or star wars.

Leaves me with the one in the middle. Want to go swimming naked in the dark? :)

Remember - NO GOOGLING!

The Honor System?

No. I saw a recent television treatment of the movie she was in.

George Costanza does not cheat! ("Remember, Jerry, it's not a lie if you believe it.")

Uh oh! George is getting upset!

Google says she is most famous for her role in bad boy Paulie

70's, first victim. summer blockbuster. GREAT CLUES!

No "first" (which indicates more then one) victims in exorcist or star wars.

Leaves me with the one in the middle. Want to go swimming naked in the dark? :)

With you? Absolutely... Just let me drop a few lbs. first...

Halloween? Was she Freddy Cruger's or Mike Meyers girlfriend?

Good guesses, Frank - but, no. Others have hit it. She was the so-called "first victim" (as opposed to the others who followed) of "Bruce," which is the name Steven Speielberg gave to the shark in "Jaws." (He gave the shark that name because that was the name of his lawyer. Hmmmmm . . . . )

Anyway, I saw a two-hour documentary on the Biography Channel last week on the making of "Jaws." In it, they showed several shots of Susan Backlinie taken when she was younger. Let's just say she had quite a body on her. They also showed a recent interview of Susan. Susan has not aged well, sad to say. But I digress . . .

Spielberg said the scene they filmed with her was the most dangeous one in the entire movie. In the first place, she played the scene herself, they did not use a stunt double. Remember how they show her moving from right to left in the water as if she was being moved about by the shark? The way they achieved that was by attaching ropes to her legs and torso with 10 men on each rope. They would pull her first one way and then the other with the ropes under the water. She could have incurred serious back injury from all of this but, fortunately, did not.

OK - I'm sure you know who Benny Lom was, right?

Good guesses, Frank - but, no. Others have hit it. She was the so-called "first victim" (as opposed to the others who followed) of "Bruce," which is the name Steven Speielberg gave to the shark in "Jaws." (He gave the shark that name because that was the name of his lawyer. Hmmmmm . . . . )

Anyway, I saw a two-hour documentary on the Biography Channel last week on the making of "Jaws." In it, they showed several shots of Susan Backlinie taken when she was younger. Let's just say she had quite a body on her. They also showed a recent interview of Susan. Susan has not aged well, sad to say. But I digress . . .

Spielberg said the scene they filmed with her was the most dangeous one in the entire movie. In the first place, she played the scene herself, they did not use a stunt double. Remember how they show her moving from right to left in the water as if she was being moved about by the shark? The way they achieved that was by attaching ropes to her legs and torso with 10 men on each rope. They would pull her first one way and then the other with the ropes under the water. She could have incurred serious back injury from all of this but, fortunately, did not.

Benny Lom, was the missing "Fifth Hobbit"

Supposedly Sam Gangee killed him and buried him in Fatty Lumpkins carrot patch because Frodo originally picked Benny, Merry and Pippin, leaving Sam to pull weeds and comb Bilbo's feet.

Last edited:

Remember - NO GOOGLING!

I just looked it up on Yahoo.

Benny Lom, was the missing "Fifth Hobbit"

Supposedly Sam Gangee killed him and buried him in Fatty Lumpkins carrot patch because Fordo originally picked Benny, Merry and Pippin, leaving Sam to pull weeds and comb Bilbo's feet.

Gosh, that's close, but not on the nosey.

In the 1929 Rose Bowl game, the California Bears were pitted against Georgia Tech. Benny Lom played for Cal, along with another player who became a bit more famous for what was about to happen - Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels.

In the second quarter, Lom forced a fumble out of the Georgia Tech ball carrier and Riegels picked it up. He became confused, and ran the wrong way with the ball.
Lom chased him all the way to the Cal one yard line, screaming for him to stop and turn around the entire way. When Lom finally caught him, Riegels was on the one-foot line. Lom grabbed Riegels by the shoulder and caused him to stop, whereupon Riegels was promptly tacked by two Georgia Tech players, who threw him over the goal line. The ref gave the ball to Cal on its own one yard line. Cal tried a punt on first down. Lom was the punter. The punt was blocked and recovered by Ga Tech for a safety, making the score 2-0 at that point.

Tech added a touchdown later in the game to make it 8-0. Cal scored a touchdown, with Lom kicking the extra point. That's how it ended. As it turned out, the second quarter safety proved to be the winning margin for Georgia Tech.

Roy Riegels became a football immortal. Lom faded into obscurity - but to trivia fans all over the world, he will always be known as the man who stopped "Wrong Way" Riegels on the one-yard line.

I knew who Bennie Lom was without having to resort to Google. I must confess, however, that some of the finer details of the Bennie Lom saga had to be provided to me only moments ago by Wiki.

Anyway, that's the story of Bennie Lom.

Last edited:
how did this

jaws-susan-backlinie1.jpg

turn into this

Susan_Backlinie_300.jpg

Forum List

Back