Who else thinks "The Who" were an embarrassment at the Super Bowl

We were discussing that too, but after the wardrobe malfunction, the sponsors want guaranteed family viewing. Imagine Adam Lambert and Lady Gaga next year! Yea sure. Bridgestone wanted ad time not controversy.

Did you really expect them to sound like a remastered CD ? I had a great time listening to some great old rock classics.

I agree. They were playing to the live crowd, not the TV audience. My guess is most of the people who attend the SuperBowl are from the Who Generation. I enjoyed it.

Did you really expect them to sound like a remastered CD ? I had a great time listening to some great old rock classics.

I thought whoever was playing the backup was great. Daltry sounded like a lounge act covering Who songs. Townsend? I don't know what he was doing. Some air guitar and scratchy vocals.

Sometimes retirement is a good thing

I thought whoever was playing the backup was great. Daltry sounded like a lounge act covering Who songs. Townsend? I don't know what he was doing. Some air guitar and scratchy vocals.

Maybe next year they can get someone a little more contemporary for ya like Michael Jackson

Not my favorite halftime show ever. It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't chosen to do Teenage Wasteland. The disconnect between the performance and the song pointed it out for me in a way the others didn't. Those guys trying to do a youth anthem? Ouch!

ringer, you are right but the nostalgia of having The Who for the Super Bowl was fantastic.
I saw The Who live twice including a 1973 concert that was unbelievable here in Atlanta.
I grew up in that era and that era is when the Super Bowl came into greatness.
We thought it was great and it was live unlike a Black Eyed Pea concert where 90% of it is piped in crap.
Of course Vodka might have added a little to the nostalgia of it last night.

I thought they sounded very, very rough but hey. . . . they're no spring chickens. It makes me laugh to think that's what's considered 'old people's music'.

My brother told me that Keith Emerson was going to be doing a 20 minute solo for the half time show and I believed him for a second. Bastard.

They looked old. Ancient even.

They sounded old.

But even so, if you listened to their performance in JUST the right frame of mind, you could hear glimmers of the group they used to be. It really was a hint about what their music used to be.

Taking that whole "age" thing into account, and at the risk of being objective, I'd have to say that they weren't half bad, really.

Now, off topic:

The talking E-trade baby stuff is growing cliche.

The David Letterman ad with Oprah Winfrey and Jay Leno was very odd. I liked it. But damn, it was kinda strange.

I agree, they stank

They were excellent. And I preferred them then say Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, or any other crap band of today. Pete can still rock that guitar, and they were playing to the live audience.

Now you understand why Bobby Plant does not want to tour with Led Zeppelin anymore.

Paul McCartney and Billy Joel are the only two vintage performers who can still sing flawlessly.

They were ok. I miss the old Daltrey who could hit the high notes and then some.

My 12 year old liked them. He thought the music was really good (though he didn't quite understand why it was all from CSI shows. lol)

And when I said they didn't sound like they used to, he said:

"well, mom, what can you expect... they're like 90".

:lol:

the half-who did about as well as I thought they would. Roger's voice is shot. Pete can still play. It was better than having p-diddy or something.

What do those who hated it expect? They were singing live from a football stadium, not some recording studio where everything is digital remastered.

It was cool, I say honor the Rock Legends like them while we still can, because soon us "oldsters" won't have them around anymore, and the young'ins will be complaining about Coldplay and Justin Timberlake sounding crotchety! :lol:

I liked it, wish it would have been longer.

Forum List

Back