Zone1 Who are your favorite minor Bible Characters?

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
Who are some minor Bible characters you admire or have had an effect on your life? In Acts, 5:34, Gamaliel advised the Sanhedrin to let Jesus’ Apostles be. He noted after the death of a couple of major persons, their followers scattered soon enough. He also noted that if the Apostles’ work was of God, the Sanhedrin wouldn’t want to fight against this anyway. This has taught me it is okay to adopt a wait and watch attitude to see if some good might come from things I do not favor.

In 1 Chronicles 4:9 the Prayer of Jabez came to my attention at a time I was in great need of it. Jabez prayed, “Expand my territory…” I certainly didn’t need any more land to take care of, my yard was large enough, and thank you very much. What I needed desperately was to expand on classroom ability and influence. After God, I credit Jabez for his example to pray for more.

These above two are barely mentioned in the Bible, yet none-the-less have had great influence on how I have lived my life. This is not to downplay the major characters of the Bible who have had even more influence, but in this thread, can we remember some of the more minor characters? Who are some of the more minor characters you best remember?

(Minor characters of any Holy Book are also welcome, for example the Book of Mormon, Koran, etc.)

Is Joseph (OT) a minor character? He's mine. Then King David and then Simon Peter.

I've always liked Gabriel, who's a friend of Jesus, and owns the auto muffler shop on the corner of Figueroa and Amabel in north LA.

Jesus owns the upholstery shop down the street...

Who are some minor Bible characters you admire or have had an effect on your life? In Acts, 5:34, Gamaliel advised the Sanhedrin to let Jesus’ Apostles be. He noted after the death of a couple of major persons, their followers scattered soon enough. He also noted that if the Apostles’ work was of God, the Sanhedrin wouldn’t want to fight against this anyway. This has taught me it is okay to adopt a wait and watch attitude to see if some good might come from things I do not favor.

In 1 Chronicles 4:9 the Prayer of Jabez came to my attention at a time I was in great need of it. Jabez prayed, “Expand my territory…” I certainly didn’t need any more land to take care of, my yard was large enough, and thank you very much. What I needed desperately was to expand on classroom ability and influence. After God, I credit Jabez for his example to pray for more.

These above two are barely mentioned in the Bible, yet none-the-less have had great influence on how I have lived my life. This is not to downplay the major characters of the Bible who have had even more influence, but in this thread, can we remember some of the more minor characters? Who are some of the more minor characters you best remember?

(Minor characters of any Holy Book are also welcome, for example the Book of Mormon, Koran, etc.)

My favorite religious character of them all is Parashurama—an avatar of Vishnu who slew all of the Kshatriyas. Parashurama was perhaps the ultimate earthly badass.

GAMLIEL is a very very major character in
jewish history----a pharisee exemplar on
the level of Hillel He carries the honorific
title of "RABBAN" and was a super-duper
talmudist. Jabez wrote a prayer that
made it to the books

I am kinda fond of Balaam's.......ass

Gideon, IMO
Challenged God for proof after proof, and God kept giving him proof.
Showed me that not only did God have a sense of humor, but
made a warrior out of a weak person. Just the presence of Gideon and
his army won the fight without a battle.

Is Joseph (OT) a minor character? He's mine. Then King David and then Simon Peter.
Joseph is major-----jacob was nuts about him because he looked like Rachel. King David is poet laureate

Is Joseph (OT) a minor character? He's mine.
For this thread, minor enough. Wish we had a drawing of that coat of many colors. He kept making the best of bad situations. No wonder he is a favorite.

Caleb. (Of the 12 spies)
"Who has a heart like Caleb?"

Sure David kills ONE giant named Goliath and becomes king.
Caleb killed an entire city of them. Didn't want the city even though he was entitled to it....he took a farm that even today is known as Caleb's Valley.

Today that same city is named Hebron.

Amazing man....annoying guy, but still amazing.

For this thread, minor enough. Wish we had a drawing of that coat of many colors. He kept making the best of bad situations. No wonder he is a favorite.
I can relate to all three. Joseph was the most objective and pragmatic. David was a bull in a china closet and Peter was unsure of himself. At least that's my cliff note version.

My favorite religious character of them all is Parashurama—an avatar of Vishnu who slew all of the Kshatriyas.
I had to look him up. It said he was the eighth reincarnation of Vishnu, yet was immoral himself? Am I understanding that correctly?

Peter was unsure of himself. At least that's my cliff note version.
I have had a few students who reminded me of Peter, whose uncertainties did not stop them from charging full steam ahead into a situation where the intentions were great, but it blew up anyway. Gave me an understanding of why Jesus chose Peter. :)

probably joseph since I have 9 brothers and 2 sisters I did not know about until was 68 years old

I have had a few students who reminded me of Peter, whose uncertainties did not stop them from charging full steam ahead into a situation where the intentions were great, but it blew up anyway. Gave me an understanding of why Jesus chose Peter. :)
I believe Peter represents the journey most of us take. Although I characterized him as unsure of himself (which may not be the exact description I was going for), you are correct in that he ultimately became very sure of himself which is also how I can relate to Peter.

Methuselah
One legend/tradition regarding Methuselah is that God delayed the flood for seven days so the people could mourn Methuselah, and that Shiva (Jewish mourning rituals/practices) date back to Methuselah.

Forum List

Back