Who are some of your favorite writers, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
I've enjoyed the work of SO many writers over the years since I first learned to read. I thank my mother for instilling a love of books and reading in me. It's one of the many gifts she gave me that I'll never be able to adequately thank her for in my prayers to her spirit. Anyway, here are my five favorites - 1) Ray Bradbury, the first writer that got me really interested in science fiction/fantasy and books for adult reading. I had the great fortune of meeting him a couple times at lectures/book signings he did in Phoenix, Arizona. He was a wonderful speaker and very generous in signing items for his fans. I had only one item each that he signed both times, but one of those times, a person in front of me had at least 20, maybe 30 items for him to sign, and he did so with no complaint. The only comment he had about the guy after he left was, "Boy, he sure had a lot to sign!" The man was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. 2) Harlan Ellison, just a fantastically intelligent, clever, angry, funny, loving, and at times, unbelievably tender in his writing, both fiction and non-fiction. I also had the great fortune of meeting him twice, at lectures/book signings. He was incredibly funny both times and also very generous in signing items. I own 7 or 8 items he was kind enough to sign for me. And like the works of Ray Bradbury, everything Harlan wrote is worthy of reading and highly recommended. 3) Stephen King, THE horror master. He's the one, more than any other writer, that got me interested in reading horror fiction. His first ten books or so are absolutely essential for fans of horror. His non-fiction works have been wonderful, as well, especially his Danse Macabre, I believe first published in 1980. It's a book of his loving and often very funny, memories of horror writings, horror movies, and horror TV shows that left an indelible mark on him. HIGHLY recommended. 4) Peter Guralnick, THE best writer of music and music history I've ever read. He has a love for many genres of music, including blues, classic country (before the 1980's), classic r&b from the 60's and 70's, and rock and roll. His loves shines in all of his work. A brilliant writer. 5) Joe R. Lansdale, a prolific writer of horror and murder/mystery novels. His early stuff from the early to mid 80's is a bit gruesome and violent at times, but always well-written. In recent years he's become quite popular due to his ongoing series of the adventures and misadventures of his two well-meaning, but sometimes hapless private investigators, Hap and Leonard. Every book I've read in the series is funny and action packed. Highly recommended, as well. I, along with my sister, had the great fortune of meeting Mr. Lansdale at a lecture/book signing he did in Scottsdale, Arizona, some years ago. He was entertaining and very generous in signing items, I believe he signed about five items of mine. So, here are some of my favorite writers, who are some of yours?

Last edited:
I give credit to my 3rd grade english teacher.
She talked me into joining the book competition and low and behold I won.
Never really considered that I read far more than the other kids.
As far as favorites go thats a really tough one.
Loved Stephen King back in the day,Tolkien is very high on the list.
There are just so many I dont feel like trying to decipher which ones I enjoyed the most.
You can safely say I like the old SciFi stuff and some of the old westerns.

Ken Follett.

Many and varied works.

Just now I'm re-reading the Kingsbridge trilogy: Pillars of The Earth; World Without End; A Column of Fire. He has a prequel coming out in November - it's already ordered on Amazon. In conjunction with that, I've just red "The Spire" which Follett credits (blames?) for inspiring him to write "Pillars". Also a sort of DIY guide to building a cathedral, "The Stonemasons" is in the stack for reading in all this free time.

He's much more prolific; his topics more varied than Michner and as readily readable.

Some years ago my wife led a tour group of women through England based on "Pillars" with visits to Stonehenge, Winchester Cathedral, Fountains Abbey, Salisbury Cathedral, Ripon Cathedral and, of course (though they didn't like it much) Westminster Abbey. From an architectural perspective though some of the group were extremely religious.

Ken Follett.

Many and varied works.

Just now I'm re-reading the Kingsbridge trilogy: Pillars of The Earth; World Without End; A Column of Fire. He has a prequel coming out in November - it's already ordered on Amazon. In conjunction with that, I've just red "The Spire" which Follett credits (blames?) for inspiring him to write "Pillars". Also a sort of DIY guide to building a cathedral, "The Stonemasons" is in the stack for reading in all this free time.

He's much more prolific; his topics more varied than Michner and as readily readable.

Some years ago my wife led a tour group of women through England based on "Pillars" with visits to Stonehenge, Winchester Cathedral, Fountains Abbey, Salisbury Cathedral, Ripon Cathedral and, of course (though they didn't like it much) Westminster Abbey. From an architectural perspective though some of the group were extremely religious.
Thanks for your post. My sister is a fan of Follet's writing. She has several signed books of his work, and even owns a signed photograph of him. I've never read any of his books, but I plan to sometime in the future. My sister sure has enough of his books to choose from!

1588719807570.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

A few, in no particular order -

Hunter S. Thompson
Jorge Luis Borges
Robert Silverberg
Harlan Ellison
Clark Ashton Smith
Larry Niven
Ray Bradbury
Tom Wolfe
William S. Burroughs
Robert Bloch
Norman Spinrad
Theodore Geisle
Gerald Kersh
H.P. Lovecraft

Harold Robbins was the first to grab my attention - after I had read 1984 (in the 9th grade)- since then I have a laundry list of favorites and a good argument for each as each has great skills-

I suppose James Lee Burke is who I would call a favorite- followed closely by Larry McMurtry-
after those two it's a toss up depending on the book. They both can embody the southerner to a T
I like Robert B. Parker (and one of his stand ins) Ace Atkins in the Spenser series.

Robert Crais, CJ Box, Craig Johnson, Michael Connelly, John Sandford, Greg Iles is really good too and is good about writing about the south- as is John Grisham-

I used to read Westerns and Elmer Kelton was my favorite. In fact his book, The Time It Never Rained, resonated with me a lot as I vaguely remember the time he wrote about and, opened my eyes to just how long, through events that took place in the late 40's and early 50's, the fed gov't has been pushing it's bullshit.

I just started one by Jack Carr called Savage Son- so far so good- what I enjoy about the majority of the books I read are the protagonists situational awareness and self awareness and introspection.

Ray Bradbury is a favorite. I used to date Harlan Ellison back in the day when he was between wives. He died not long ago. It truly hurt. I am glad that he finally found a woman who gave him so many years of happiness.

For westerns I admit to a fondness for old school, Zane Gray.

Ray Bradbury is a favorite. I used to date Harlan Ellison back in the day when he was between wives. He died not long ago. It truly hurt. I am glad that he finally found a woman who gave him so many years of happiness.

For westerns I admit to a fondness for old school, Zane Gray.
Wow, you DATED Harlan Ellison?!? THAT must have been quite interesting. I was saddened by his death, as well. He was a true original, in every sense of the word.

Forum List

Back