White photographer beaten by Baltimore PD during protests

pillars

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2014
UNC
City Paper photo editor J.M. Giordano beaten by police at Freddie Gray protest - citypaper.com

City Paper Photo Editor J.M. Giordano was tackled and beaten by Baltimore City police outside of Western District headquarters last night while covering protests over the death of Freddie Gray in police custody.

In a video shot by City Paper Managing Editor Baynard Woods you can see Giordano, wearing a green jacket, and a protester, both of whom had just been knocked to the ground by police, being beaten as Woods yells, "He's a photographer! He's press!"

Giordano says he was standing next to the protester in the video, facing the police line, at about 12:30 when someone threw a rock which hit a police officer’s shield.

“They mobilized,” he says. The police line moved forward and Giordano did not move fast enough for them. “I always move at the last second,” he says. Five or six police officers in riot gear hit Giordano and the other protester with their shields, knocking them to the ground.

“They just swarmed over me,” he says. “I got hit. My head hit the ground. They were hitting me, then someone pulled me out.”

“I kept shooting it,” he says. “As soon as I got up I started taking pictures.” He says the guy who was next to him (who did not throw anything, he is sure) got arrested and was loaded into a van. Joe was not. He thinks it is because police recognized him as a local reporter and figured arresting him would cause a backlash.

“They [police] tried to block me from shooting.”

He says Reuters photographer Sait Serkan Gurbuz, who was standing nearby, did get arrested and taken away in the police van, and was later released and cited for disorderly conduct.

I decided it was fruitless for me to wait for Publius to post about this, so I went ahead and posted it myself.

City Paper photo editor J.M. Giordano beaten by police at Freddie Gray protest - citypaper.com

City Paper Photo Editor J.M. Giordano was tackled and beaten by Baltimore City police outside of Western District headquarters last night while covering protests over the death of Freddie Gray in police custody.

In a video shot by City Paper Managing Editor Baynard Woods you can see Giordano, wearing a green jacket, and a protester, both of whom had just been knocked to the ground by police, being beaten as Woods yells, "He's a photographer! He's press!"

Giordano says he was standing next to the protester in the video, facing the police line, at about 12:30 when someone threw a rock which hit a police officer’s shield.

“They mobilized,” he says. The police line moved forward and Giordano did not move fast enough for them. “I always move at the last second,” he says. Five or six police officers in riot gear hit Giordano and the other protester with their shields, knocking them to the ground.

“They just swarmed over me,” he says. “I got hit. My head hit the ground. They were hitting me, then someone pulled me out.”

“I kept shooting it,” he says. “As soon as I got up I started taking pictures.” He says the guy who was next to him (who did not throw anything, he is sure) got arrested and was loaded into a van. Joe was not. He thinks it is because police recognized him as a local reporter and figured arresting him would cause a backlash.

He says Reuters photographer Sait Serkan Gurbuz, who was standing nearby, did get arrested and taken away in the police van, and was later released and cited for disorderly conduct.

I decided it was fruitless for me to wait for Publius to post about this, so I went ahead and posted it myself.

The video is already posted in the op here The Obligatory Feral Blacks Run Rampant Through Baltimore Thread US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Freddie G Yo! Look at all the poor victims of police brutality and white racism. These are fine upstanding citizens of Baltimore!!

The video is already posted in the op here The Obligatory Feral Blacks Run Rampant Through Baltimore Thread US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
You are a good subservient white boi...

• Banned

Yeah, but who wants to comment on a disgusting racist rant :rolleyes:

• Banned
Why would the video of a white photographer being beaten by police officers be posted under the title of "feral blacks run rampant through baltimore."

Perhaps because the video demonstrates feral blacks running through Baltimore.

There are no feral blacks in the video here: City Paper photo editor J.M. Giordano beaten by police at Freddie Gray protest - citypaper.com

There are quite a few feral officers dressed in black. But, it's really hard to say what race they are because of their helmets.

Yeah, but who wants to comment on a disgusting racist rant :rolleyes:

The facts aren't racist.

I guess when police don't respect the rest of the Bill of Rights, we can't be surprised that they have no regard for the freedom of the press. Those pigs belong in Gitmo.

Anyone who defends police who abuse the press belong there too.

I guess when police don't respect the rest of the Bill of Rights, we can't be surprised that they have no regard for the freedom of the press. Those pigs belong in Gitmo.

Wouldn't respecting the Bill of Rights entail innocent until proven guilty? No no no, Bill of Rights for thee but not for me? In the mean time lets burn down a city, loot some convenience stores, and vandalize public/private property while ignoring it all as you speak of the Bill of Rights.

But but but what of the thugs presumption of innocence as he resisted arrest you say? Yeah, saw that coming a mile away. He was going to trial, but then he resisted arrest. Now the only question is what lead to his death.

Last edited:

Wouldn't respecting the Bill of Rights entail innocent until proven guilty? No no no, Bill of Rights for thee but not for me? In the mean time lets burn down a city, loot some convenience stores, and vandalize public/private property while ignoring it all as you speak of the Bill of Rights.

But but but what of the thugs presumption of innocence as he resisted arrest you say? Yeah, saw that coming a mile away.

Members of the press performing their press function need not submit to arrest. Because it is always illegal to arrest members of the press performing a press function. Police on the other hand have no special rights under the constitution.

But but but what of the thugs presumption of innocence as he resisted arrest you say? Yeah, saw that coming a mile away.

Members of the press performing their press function need not submit to arrest. Because it is always illegal to arrest members of the press performing a press function. Police on the other hand have no special rights under the constitution.

I don't think you are aware of whats gong on in the video. It was the press who was being robbed and assaulted. It was the police who arrested the thug who assaulted her. It was not the police who were arresting the reporter. Perhaps I'm mistaken on where you're going with this?

Forum List

Back