White House claims ObamaCare fine a 'penalty,' despite court calling it a 'tax'

6/29/12

First it was a penalty. Then it was a tax. Now it's a penalty again.

The war of words over what to call the fine attached to the federal health care overhaul's most controversial provision continued Friday, as the White House took issue with the Supreme Court's argument -- even though that argument alone spared President Obama's law.

The five-justice majority argued that, while the fine imposed by the law for not buying health insurance would otherwise be unconstitutional, the fine is actually legal under Congress' authority to tax.

Ergo, the fine is officially a "tax" in the eyes of the court. The law stands.

But in a case of biting the hand that feeds, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Friday the fine is still just a "penalty."

Calling it a "tax" causes obvious political problems for the White House. Obama fought that label vigorously when selling the bill in 2009.

---

Meanwhile, the Obama administration pressed ahead Friday with implementing the law. The Department of Health and Human Services was announcing a new program to help states set up so-called health insurance exchanges, which were established under the law.

[Bet a lot of states will drag their feet at least to the election]

---
Read more: White House claims ObamaCare fine a 'penalty,' despite court calling it a 'tax' | Fox News

Christ, I thought the word marriage was bad enough. Now we're gonna spend the next 10 years picking apart tax and penalty? Who gives a shit what it's called? What it's called doesn't change what it is.

yeah, who gives a shit your President lied and is still lying to you

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8erePM8V5U]President Obama's Pledge Never to Raise Taxes on Anyone Making Less Than $250,000 a Year - YouTube[/ame]

it was good enough logic for yer boy Mitt!!

539604_555280258080_1960409740_n.jpg

Wait..don't believe the quote?? Hoooooolllllddd on. We need context, right??

Romney: "It's not a tax hike. It is a fee, an assessment." - YouTube

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Except, he was not talking about the 'individual mandate', was he?

Blatant lying is all you boys have.

Do you understand the difference between a 'state' and a 'country'? Need context? Google 'map, United States America'. Hope that helps.

Idiot.

that might actually be true... except that romney said it should be done nationally.

until he didn't.

honesty matters, chica. :)

Do you understand the difference between a 'state' and a 'country'? Need context? Google 'map, United States America'. Hope that helps.

Idiot.

that might actually be true... except that romney said it should be done nationally.

until he didn't.

Lying asshole.

Romney said the Federal government should encourage people to buy their own health insurance.

Each and every time he was asked if the Federal government should mandate people to buy health insurance, he said NO.

6/29/12

First it was a penalty. Then it was a tax. Now it's a penalty again.

The war of words over what to call the fine attached to the federal health care overhaul's most controversial provision continued Friday, as the White House took issue with the Supreme Court's argument -- even though that argument alone spared President Obama's law.

The five-justice majority argued that, while the fine imposed by the law for not buying health insurance would otherwise be unconstitutional, the fine is actually legal under Congress' authority to tax.

Ergo, the fine is officially a "tax" in the eyes of the court. The law stands.

But in a case of biting the hand that feeds, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Friday the fine is still just a "penalty."

Calling it a "tax" causes obvious political problems for the White House. Obama fought that label vigorously when selling the bill in 2009.

---

Meanwhile, the Obama administration pressed ahead Friday with implementing the law. The Department of Health and Human Services was announcing a new program to help states set up so-called health insurance exchanges, which were established under the law.

[Bet a lot of states will drag their feet at least to the election]

---
Read more: White House claims ObamaCare fine a 'penalty,' despite court calling it a 'tax' | Fox News

Christ, I thought the word marriage was bad enough. Now we're gonna spend the next 10 years picking apart tax and penalty? Who gives a shit what it's called? What it's called doesn't change what it is.

If the Supreme Court insists it's a tax in order for ACA to pass the Constitutionality test, the so be it. I don't care. I already have insurance so I won't be paying it whether it's a penalty or a tax or whatever you wingnuts want to cry and whine and boo-hoo about.

If the Supreme Court insists it's a tax in order for ACA to pass the Constitutionality test, the so be it. I don't care. I already have insurance so I won't be paying it whether it's a penalty or a tax or whatever you wingnuts want to cry and whine and boo-hoo about.

yeah we know, typical...it won't affect me so screw the rest of you (right or left) that it will..

Idiot.

until he didn't.

this is why i love the liberals THat MIGHT actually be true" No girl IT IS TRUE.

LOL Liberals love spin because facts are to hard to handle.

Forum List

Back