White House: BP to pay for cleanup

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration says the cost of cleaning up a giant oil spill off the Gulf of Mexico will fall on BP PLC, the company that operated the rig.
White House spokesman Nick Shapiro says President Barack Obama has directed his administration to aggressively confront the oil spill. The military is working to determine how its array of aircraft, ships and equipment might be able to assist the cleanup operation.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/04/29/us/politics/AP-US-Oil-Rig-Explosion-Obama.html?_r=2

Why does Obama hate big business?

I think BP should pay for the cleanup.

I also think US law should require remote operated valves on oil-rigs that operate in US waters.....but it doesn't.

Excellent suggestion. Why do you think that is? Did Obama deny us this protection?

You can blame Bush for a lot of things, Huggy, but blaming him for the condition of the levies prior to the onslaught of Katrina... Well, that just makes you look foolish.

I agree that the condition of the levies and the funding of the Army Corps of Engineers is debatable. What cannot be debated is that the worst flooding was caused by the intentional release of water to protect the underfunded levies. That was a choice.

All things being equal, I gather some here believed the owner's of the World Trade Center should have paid to clean the streets of NYC after 911.

Yo stupid.........apples and oranges idiot. The WTC was brought down by a terrorist who intentionally committed the act.

The BP spill was due to cutting corners and not paying attention, which is why the rig blew up. Additionally, because they wanted to cut corners, the cutoff valve they installed was the only measure for their failsafe. Brazil has much more stringent restrictions for off shore oil drilling, which is the kind of things we should have been doing.

Drill baby drill? More like spill baby spill, and it's gonna last for a WHILE.

Wonder how willing BP is going to be about paying for the cleanup after the first hurricane sucks up all the oil and deposits it up to 50 miles inland?

You know.......Pensacola and it's white beaches were nice. Too bad they won't be around anymore.

Well, the President will make political points over this disaster if the agencies involved do a good job. Just the contrast from the last administrations handling of Katrina wil insure that.

Not after the GOPers convince the public that LA is the new land-O the opertunity with the FREE OILl on the beaches provided by Boibby Jindal and BP!!!!!

Drill...Spin...Rinse..

bush was heavily criticized for a mere 3 days, called a racist, but the governor and mayor, barely a whisper of complaint....how many days has it been here and nothing but praise from the left for the way obama is handling it? if this was still bush, i guarantee each and every one of you would be heavily criticizing him, pointing out his ties to big oil etc....

and really, this thread makes no sense

Let's get this straight. You're comparing the response to a hurricane that devastated parts of three states, to the response to a foreign company's oil righ blowing up in international waters. Actually, I don't think we have any responsibilty to help a British company with it's oil spill. Our responsibility is to protect the shores of the gulf states. And there may be precious litte we can do about that.

You wingnuts simply don't like taking responsibility for your FU's. You continually made invalid comparisions simply in an attempt to avoid responsibility.

bush was heavily criticized for a mere 3 days, called a racist, but the governor and mayor, barely a whisper of complaint....how many days has it been here and nothing but praise from the left for the way obama is handling it? if this was still bush, i guarantee each and every one of you would be heavily criticizing him, pointing out his ties to big oil etc....

and really, this thread makes no sense

Let's get this straight. You're comparing the response to a hurricane that devastated parts of three states, to the response to a foreign company's oil righ blowing up in international waters. Actually, I don't think we have any responsibilty to help a British company with it's oil spill. Our responsibility is to protect the shores of the gulf states. And there may be precious litte we can do about that.

You wingnuts simply don't like taking responsibility for your FU's. You continually made invalid comparisions simply in an attempt to avoid responsibility.

International waters? You are an idiot. Go check some maps and charts sparky and the oil lease charts while you are at it.

Did I mention that you are an idiot?

Forum List

Back