While possible, it's simply not probable.

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
One of the first threads I started when I joined here over a year ago was whether or not it's possible to be an atheist without also being arrogant and condescending about it. The point was debated vigorously and I distinctly recall the rebuttal most often offered by atheists was that bible thumpers are equally arrogant and condescending which, of course, is no rebuttal at all. After observing the behavior of USMB's acknowledged atheists over the past year I can safely conclude that yes, it is possible. But so highly improbable as to make the sliver of possibility entirely moot.

My thanks to everyone for clearing up his vitally important matter.

cmon man, agnostics are the ONLY intelligent ones, everyone else is a doofus.

How is telling everyone that you refuse to bother researching and finding out whether there is a God, but rather proclaiming yourself the most intelligent by not making an effort or a choice, at all intelligent or wise?

agnostic atheists or agnostic theists? You're an idiot who clearly fails to understand what the word 'agnosticism' even means

Don't be too hard on him. He doesnt know what a lot of other stuff means too.

One of the first threads I started when I joined here over a year ago was whether or not it's possible to be an atheist without also being arrogant and condescending about it.

I'm an atheist and I am not arrogant or condescending about it because I am busy being arrogant and condescending about other things.

One of the first threads I started when I joined here over a year ago was whether or not it's possible to be an atheist without also being arrogant and condescending about it. The point was debated vigorously and I distinctly recall the rebuttal most often offered by atheists was that bible thumpers are equally arrogant and condescending which, of course, is no rebuttal at all. After observing the behavior of USMB's acknowledged atheists over the past year I can safely conclude that yes, it is possible. But so highly improbable as to make the sliver of possibility entirely moot.

As an atheist I am made uncomfortable in religious circumstances, but I do not fault religious people, nor do I argue religion with them, nor with those who claim to be atheists. It is a matter of and individual's personal faith or lack of faith. I do not feel my position is superior to that of the believer; just that I have only myself and an ever diminishing number of friends and relations on which to rely. All atheists do not hold all the same irreligious beliefs, and a lack of belief is not complicated enough to need the company of others who share a similar lack of belief; I don't need a "church" of non-believers to relate to, and I don't feel a need to proselytize those who already feel happy about their beliefs to adapt what I do or don't believe.

More than religious people of the traditional forms I fear those who believe themselves to be immune from religion, but then foster a new one of their own creation, proselytizing all forms of untested ideas.In that case those they would convert as new adherents are unaware, even, of the true purpose of that True Believer who seeks to “convert” them to their own “style” of religion. They seem to be the most dangerous, because they have no tolerance for ‘non-believers’ as is clearly revealed by their rhetoric, and yet they call themselves athiests or agnostics.

For the most part I find religious people that I know to be unassuming of my need for their belief, but they do believe they have the one true belief, and feel concern for the final disposition of my ‘immortal soul’; which seems a more noble purpose than those who have designs on my ‘mortal soul’. Better a religion that has gone through centuries of development and has been put to the test by its adherents and has matured, than one that operates surreptitiously, or with some new schemata, while working on the frustrations of disaffected people to create fanatics.

Barring the mention of some sordid history, which we always hear about as if it happened yesterday like witchcraft trials, burnings at the stake, the Spanish inquisition, and I’m sure a litany of other complaints which would serve no purpose to itemize, I believe the Christian Church, particularly the Roman Catholic Church to be the greatest force for good that has acted on mankind since the birth of civilization. During the "dark ages" it was the organization of the Catholic Church that kept poor populations in Europe fed and clothed, performed noble acts of charity, and saved and transmitted classical western civilization, including Roman law to create first modern Europe, and then by further extension passing those institutions to the Americas.

The second greatest force for good has been the institution of marriage. It is the cornerstone of the family and the main civilizing force for the human male, which can be brutish if given half a chance.

So yes, I believe atheists need not be arrogant, and those I know of in my own “real” (as distinguished from cyber) “community” assume nothing much differently than I do about the religious, or at least don't show it with arrogance. But then it seems that a lot of people who are irreligious want the whole world to know that they are too smart by half.

Last edited:
i do not see why people make sure an issue of religion...one or the other...as someone on here said..if were born in india we would be hindu....iran ...muslims.....the south southern baptist....just the way you are brought up many times...then the others who find other paths to their peace.

atheists simply do not believe in the "spook in the sky" as one of my friends refers to any god or goddess, including the one i believe in.

cmon man, agnostics are the ONLY intelligent ones, everyone else is a doofus.

How is telling everyone that you refuse to bother researching and finding out whether there is a God, but rather proclaiming yourself the most intelligent by not making an effort or a choice, at all intelligent or wise?

What do you mean by researching? I'm searching all the time. Just don't find shit. Ever. Just a buncha doofusses like you who believe that god is an alien from another planet. Ya, like THAT'S believable! Btw, how did you ever believe that shit yourself? When someone told you: hey, guess what, our god is an alien, you went: Really?:cuckoo:

If by researching you mean read those fucking books, then, well, it's well known that those bibles were written HUNDREDS of years after the events. And nothing is true in them, just speculation.

JB: go buy a dictionary.:lol:

And to think, this was before "We Are They" joined, so your research now has even more valid proof of arrogant and condescending debate!

First if you are posting on this site or any other site about things such as this your are at least a bit arrogant.

2nd The only difference between posting at on line political sites and spitting into the wind is that in the former case you don't get wet.

Forum List

Back