While possible, it's simply not probable.

One of the first threads I started when I joined here over a year ago was whether or not it's possible to be an atheist without also being arrogant and condescending about it. The point was debated vigorously and I distinctly recall the rebuttal most often offered by atheists was that bible thumpers are equally arrogant and condescending which, of course, is no rebuttal at all. After observing the behavior of USMB's acknowledged atheists over the past year I can safely conclude that yes, it is possible. But so highly improbable as to make the sliver of possibility entirely moot.

My thanks to everyone for clearing up his vitally important matter.

Here you go, http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...-should-believe-in-god-or-a-higher-power.html

One of the first threads I started when I joined here over a year ago was whether or not it's possible to be an atheist without also being arrogant and condescending about it. The point was debated vigorously and I distinctly recall the rebuttal most often offered by atheists was that bible thumpers are equally arrogant and condescending which, of course, is no rebuttal at all. After observing the behavior of USMB's acknowledged atheists over the past year I can safely conclude that yes, it is possible. But so highly improbable as to make the sliver of possibility entirely moot.

My Father-in-law was an atheist at the time of his death and presumably long before. He never brought the topic up, but as he was ill in the closing times of his life, I mentioned once that I would include him in my prayers. It was then that he said words to the effect that I could if it made ME feel better, but he was pretty sure that when "things ended" for him, they ended.

The way he said this was rather like discussing a bus schedule or whether it might rain. No real passion there. Just a notation that there would soon be a release from the pain and the ever more imposing reduction of capability. He had been a barrel chested, hard drinking, two-pack smoking, loud, opinionated and verbose presenter of his life's experiences and an exposer of those that he found to be hollow. This last thing, as I recall from earlier years, brought him the most joy and brought forth the most most colorful language.

When he told a story, his posture, his expressions and volumes would present as a one man play. He was in his glory when, aided by the lubicant of strong drink, he would command the family gathering with a tale of daring in which his turn of the phrase or intentional withholding of help would undo the reputation and effectiveness of a usually younger and always impudent authority figure in the workplace.

At the end, the years had taken their toll. He was introspective and observant and would opine only when drawn out. When he spoke, it was worth a listen. He was an opinionated man, but no longer arrogant or imposing and no longer needed to be heard. He was at peace and ready to rest.

So yes, I believe atheists need not be arrogant, and those I know of in my own “real” (as distinguished from cyber) “community” assume nothing much differently than I do about the religious, or at least don't show it with arrogance. But then it seems that a lot of people who are irreligious want the whole world to know that they are too smart by half.

I think it is wrong to look at atheists on a board like this and then conclude that because many, most or all atheists here "argue" their beliefs here so arrogantly or adamantly that atheists are arrogant. The formats of a board like this promote discussion and that leads to some people feeling that others are trying to push their beliefs on others, when that may or may not be the case. I may think one of the atheists on this board is arrogant by the way he posts, and he may feel the same about me, but if I were to sit down face to face with him and converse about anything even religion or faith, we might see each other in completely different lights, in fact we might even become friends.

Immie

The formats of a board like this promote discussion and that leads to some people feeling that others are trying to push their beliefs on others

Aren't most people on here interested in convincing/converting others to their causes and position?

I know that "converting" religionites to see the absurdity of their books and gods is futile, I'm just here for a good laugh.:lol:
... like finding out that mormons believe that their god is an alien from another planet who was given earth to rule. That's SO fucking hilarious that anyone could be THAT dumb and still remeber to breathe!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Religion, organized religions, ultimately are about politics: i.e., who can make who do what. Prophetic, dogmatic belief systems, especially, have as their aim the control of others.

Since 9/11 and the outspokenly Christian Bush administration, as Christian and Muslim conservatives alike have demonstrated the malign impact their beliefs have on the world, many nonbelievers have been prompted to take on the religious parties in our politics. And politics - especially when it concerns matters of fundamental importance - is a serious contest. If the comments get sharp, it's mainly because the stakes are high.

I think of myself as an atheist that can have a civil discussion with a believer, but I certainly have had those exchanges where the religious party was blitzing me; and in that kind of situation, believe me, I let them have it.

So yes, I believe atheists need not be arrogant, and those I know of in my own “real” (as distinguished from cyber) “community” assume nothing much differently than I do about the religious, or at least don't show it with arrogance. But then it seems that a lot of people who are irreligious want the whole world to know that they are too smart by half.

I think it is wrong to look at atheists on a board like this and then conclude that because many, most or all atheists here "argue" their beliefs here so arrogantly or adamantly that atheists are arrogant. The formats of a board like this promote discussion and that leads to some people feeling that others are trying to push their beliefs on others, when that may or may not be the case. I may think one of the atheists on this board is arrogant by the way he posts, and he may feel the same about me, but if I were to sit down face to face with him and converse about anything even religion or faith, we might see each other in completely different lights, in fact we might even become friends.

Immie

I would hope so. What I was stating was that in my real life experience I know lots of athiests as well as religious people, and I do not see a great deal of arrogance in athiests nor do I see a lot of arrogance from the religious ones. Where what appears to be arrogance shows up more dramatically is in places like this one where possibly the insecurity coming out of the posters age (mental or chronological) or their presumed anonymity plays a role allowing them to stimulate argument they would never launch into or take similar tacks in real life situations.

The formats of a board like this promote discussion and that leads to some people feeling that others are trying to push their beliefs on others

Aren't most people on here interested in convincing/converting others to their causes and position?

Guilty.

However, my only cause is to convince people to question the legitimacy their cause(s).

Guilty.

However, my only cause is to convince people to question the legitimacy their cause(s).

How oft do you sit down and truly consider the legitimacy of and reasons for your cause?

No.
Some of us can converse with the intent of exchanging ideas and opinions.

You contradict yourself. I said 'most'; and you said 'no'. Then you said that (only) some seek to exchange ideas with no conscious or unconscious desire to convince (which may or may not even be possible), implying that most do have such an intent, as I said..

Forum List

Back