Which was the best heavy bomber of WWII

No question, B-29 Superfortress. In ceiling, speed, range, payload, crew safety ... it is the WWII heavyweight champ

e1c33d3a743968d84bd3d22c1fef6b47.jpg

Here is a good one. And there are many really good bombers to choose from from the Flying Fortress to the Lancaster. Let's hear it on this one.

Not even close- the B-29 Super Fortress.

There just weren't very many types of operational heavy bombers in WW2- and the B-29- though late model- was by far the best.

Here is a good one. And there are many really good bombers to choose from from the Flying Fortress to the Lancaster. Let's hear it on this one.

The B-25. That was the plane my Grandfather was over the production of in WWII.

Not everyone who served their country did it in uniform.

b-25_mitchell_hero_crop_1280x436.jpg

B 29 was by far, the best

But I have always been partial to the B17...... It was a workhorse

B-17 #1 Heavy Bomber OF WWII , #2 All Time

2. Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

The biggest, fastest, most heavily armed bomber when first introduced, the B-17 is what people picture when told to think of a World War II bomber. A dozen .50 caliber machine guns gave this plane its name. Incredibly rugged, this aerial battleship was the mainstay of the bombing campaign against Germany and the star of movies such as Memphis Belle and 12 O’Clock High. The B-17 was the first of the line of legendary Boeing built bombers, followed by the B-29, the B-47 and the B-52. Boeing apparently knows how to make bombers!
1. Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

First flown in 1952, this massive 8 engined jet bomber was the backbone of America’s nuclear deterrent during the Cold War and has dropped untold thousands of tons of conventional bombs on Viet Nam, the Persian Gulf and Afghanistan. Incredibly, this workhorse will be on active duty until at least 2040 (barring the Apocalypse…)! Older than the people who fly them, the B-52 remains one of the most intimidating weapons of any type.

10 Greatest Bombers in Military History - History and Headlines

View attachment 108712

My father-in-law was a gunner on a B-25 and flew many sorties out of New Guinea as the war in the Pacific Marched toward Japan. I had the pleasure of boarding one of the last Billy Mitchell's still flying with my two sons and their granddad, of course we never left the ground, it was on tour with other vintage planes at the general aviation airport near our home. A great memory for me and my boys, not so much my wife's father, it brought back memories of those they left behind.

View attachment 108712
The Mitchell was a medium bomber, one of the most versatile American medium bombers ever made. From high(er) level to low level bombing, strafing runs and even as a transport.

The best overall light bomber was the DeHavilland Mosquito (my personal favorite).

p_mosquito3.jpg

The Germans awarded two kills for anyone who shot down a Mosquito that's how hard they were to shoot down let alone catch.

View attachment 108712

My father-in-law was a gunner on a B-25 and flew many sorties out of New Guinea as the war in the Pacific Marched toward Japan. I had the pleasure of boarding one of the last Billy Mitchell's still flying with my two sons and their granddad, of course we never left the ground, it was on tour with other vintage planes at the general aviation airport near our home. A great memory for me and my boys, not so much my wife's father, it brought back memories of those they left behind.

I have been lucky enough to watch a B-25 fly- and a B-17 and a B-29.

The Evergreen Museum in Oregon has a B-17 that you can get guided tours by former WW2 bomber crew- ours was actually a B-24 gunner, but his guiding us through the plane was a great experience.

Forum List

Back