Which religion do you follow? Why did you pick that one?

... When you grow up I'll be here to debate.

I don't know where your "here" is - but it seems to me it's a place without Christians.

Thus forum. Here in this forum.

Why is it I've never once encountered a Christian that could debate?

Because you probably don't understand the framework of debate. People who don't understand debate often think they're making points when they aren't, and don't recognize good argument. Nor do they have the sense to admit they are wrong.

I don't know where your "here" is - but it seems to me it's a place without Christians.

Beats the heck out of me. Do you live as a hermit on a desert island? Or in a cave in some remote secluded place. I would be dishonest if I said all Christians can debate, because some really are masters of logical fallacy or are too fixed in their positions to be able to see any other. But those are in a distinct minority.

As for champion debaters--people that I would bet good money that they would win in a formal debate--most that I know are devout Christians. Christians are very often able to think outside the box and see/consider concepts that are not immediately obvious, and that makes them great debaters.

Because you probably don't understand the framework of debate. People who don't understand debate often think they're making points when they aren't, and don't recognize good argument. Nor do they have the sense to admit they are wrong.

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Beats the heck out of me. Do you live as a hermit on a desert island? Or in a cave in some remote secluded place. I would be dishonest if I said all Christians can debate, because some really are masters of logical fallacy or are too fixed in their positions to be able to see any other. But those are in a distinct minority.

As for champion debaters--people that I would bet good money that they would win in a formal debate--most that I know are devout Christians. Christians are very often able to think outside the box and see/consider concepts that are not immediately obvious, and that makes them great debaters.

No, I live in a city.

I haven't come across a single one in the web.

No, I live in a city.

Well I was on very good debate teams both in high school and college and have been a debate coach and judge. But I honestly don't know how good I am against modern day competition, but I probably wouldn't qualify by your standards either. But I am a Christian.

No, I live in a city.

Well I was on very good debate teams both in high school and college and have been a debate coach and judge. But I honestly don't know how good I am against modern day competition, but I probably wouldn't qualify by your standards either. But I am a Christian.

If you have any formal training, I think you would be a all star champion compared to the drek I'm used to. In all honesty I believe in God, and Christ for that matter. So I don't think you and I would disagree on that much. So I doubt a debate between you and I would be very interesting.

No, I live in a city.

If you have any formal training, I think you would be a all star champion compared to the drek I'm used to. In all honesty I believe in God, and Christ for that matter. So I don't think you and I would disagree on that much. So I doubt a debate between you and I would be very interesting.

I love debating other Christians so long as it remains amicable and all parties are enjoying the exercise. I have yet to meet two Christians who are 100% aligned in their point of view or doctrinal beliefs. A Roman Catholic and a Southern Baptist, for example, can both be devout in their faith and love God with all their hearts. But they will have broad differences of opinion on baptism, the Eucharist/Lord's Supper, and to some degree admission into heaven and hell and how somebody merits either place. And among many Christians there are broad differences in opinion on such things as the Rapture and End Times, interpretation of many points of scripture, predestination, what is and is not immoral or required in our practices, observance of various traditions, etc.

For myself, I don't get too concerned about such things as my personal belief is God is not all that interested in our theology but rather looks to the content of our hearts and minds, but I find it all intensely interesting and fascinating.

Its hard to debate them because they have a collection of books and a history they accept as facts and next thing you realize you are talking to someone who believes Mary was a virgin.

And who are you to question? They've asked me that many times as if I'm arrogant for doubting or questioning. But that's a big part of the scientific approach. Question everything and don't accept anything just because someone says so. It all boils down to religion and science don't mix. Religions are scientifically impossible.

... Its hard to debate them because they have a collection of books and a history they accept as facts

History are not thoughts - history are facts. Facts don't ask for acceptance. Facts are what they are.

and next thing you realize you are talking to someone who believes Mary was a virgin.

Mary is a virgin - but that's not very important. Much more important is: Mother Mary said "yes" with all of her existance to the will of god to become the mother of Jesus the Christ. To be able to do this decision she had to be absolutelly free from any form of sin. She was innocent. This is often what we essentially subsumize in the expression of "virgin" for Mother Mary. We don't speak about biology in this context. In the german language "virgin" = "Jungfrau" = "young woman". As far as I heard this is also the same in the aramaic or hebrew language. Take "virgin" just simple as an expression for a young unmarried woman, if you have a problem with this expression. But a perfect free decision needs innocence without any sin. Sins don't allow us to do completly free decisions.

And who are you to question? They've asked me that many times as if I'm arrogant for doubting or questioning. But that's a big part of the scientific approach. Question everything and don't accept anything just because someone says so.

Please - every word came from someone unkown. We may doubt about some important things - but no one is able always to doubt about everything. This would drive everyone crazy,

It all boils down to religion and science don't mix. Religions are scientifically impossible.

Good grieve. In the last days I thought about what are real wonders. It's for example a wonder when particles and antiparticles destroyed each other in the very young universe so 1 billion and 1 particle met only 1 billion antiparticles. It's a wonder - without this wonder we would not exist. I would not know why a scientist should not call a wonder "wonder" or why scientists should always only have to be atheists, who have to ignore that atheism is "only" a religious belief and not scientific knowledge.

Virgo sola
Sola existente
En affuit angelus
Gabriel est
Est appalatus
Atque missus celitus
Clara facieque
Facieque dixit
Ave Maria

: Cuncti simus Ave Maria
Concanentes Ave Maria :

Clara facieque
Facieque dixit
Audite karissimi
En cocipies
Cocipies Maria
Ave Maria

: Cuncti simus... :

Last edited:
... Its hard to debate them because they have a collection of books and a history they accept as facts

History are not thoughts - history are facts. Facts don't ask for acceptance. Facts are what they are.

and next thing you realize you are talking to someone who believes Mary was a virgin.

Mary is a virgin - but that's not very important. Much more important is: Mother Mary said "yes" with all of her existance to the will of god to become the mother of Jesus the Christ. To be able to do this decision she had to be absolutelly free from any form of sin. She was innocent. This is often what we essentially subsumize in the expression of "virgin" for Mother Mary. We don't speak about biology in this context. In the german language "virgin" = "Jungfrau" = "young woman". As far as I heard this is also the same in the aramaic or hebrew language. Take "virgin" just simple as an expression for a young unmarried woman, if you have a problem with this expression. But a perfect free decision needs innocence without any sin. Sins don't allow us to do completly free decisions.

And who are you to question? They've asked me that many times as if I'm arrogant for doubting or questioning. But that's a big part of the scientific approach. Question everything and don't accept anything just because someone says so.

Please - every word came from someone unkown. We may doubt about some important things - but no one is able always to doubt about everything. This would drive everyone crazy,

It all boils down to religion and science don't mix. Religions are scientifically impossible.

Good grieve. In the last days I thought about what are real wonders. It's for example a wonder when particles and antiparticles destroyed each other in the very young universe so 1 billion and 1 particle met only 1 billion antiparticles. It's a wonder - without this wonder we would not exist. I would not know why a scientist should not call a wonder "wonder" or why scientists should always only have to be atheists, who have to ignore that atheism is "only" a religious belief and not scientific knowledge.

Virgo sola
Sola existente
En affuit angelus
Gabriel est
Est appalatus
Atque missus celitus
Clara facieque
Facieque dixit
Ave Maria

: Cuncti simus Ave Maria
Concanentes Ave Maria :

Clara facieque
Facieque dixit
Audite karissimi
En cocipies
Cocipies Maria
Ave Maria

: Cuncti simus... :

I thought Jesus was the only person to ever be sin free. Now you're saying Mary never sinned?

No, I live in a city.

I love debating other Christians so long as it remains amicable and all parties are enjoying the exercise. I have yet to meet two Christians who are 100% aligned in their point of view or doctrinal beliefs. A Roman Catholic and a Southern Baptist, for example, can both be devout in their faith and love God with all their hearts. But they will have broad differences of opinion on baptism, the Eucharist/Lord's Supper, and to some degree admission into heaven and hell and how somebody merits either place. And among many Christians there are broad differences in opinion on such things as the Rapture and End Times, interpretation of many points of scripture, predestination, what is and is not immoral or required in our practices, observance of various traditions, etc.

For myself, I don't get too concerned about such things as my personal belief is God is not all that interested in our theology but rather looks to the content of our hearts and minds, but I find it all intensely interesting and fascinating.
I've never come across a person that could have a friendly debate about religion.

No, I live in a city.

I've never come across a person that could have a friendly debate about religion.
You're basically either gonna pretend to agree or you're telling them they've wasted all their time worshipping something that isnt even there.

I met a christian girl. Boss thinks I should have told her I don't believe in god. I don't think its so important that I should have that debate with a girl who clearly believes. Maybe I'll hint at it and ask her a few questions first. Best first question I like to ask is what do you think about non christians go to hell for not believing. Find out what kind of crazy I'm dealing with first. There are believers and then there are BELIEVE ERS.

... I thought Jesus was the only person to ever be sin free. Now you're saying Mary never sinned?

To confuse you a little more: I'm not even absolutelly sure, wether Jesus himselve was without sin. But I'm sure: God did not force Mary - so she was without sin. She was free.

... I thought Jesus was the only person to ever be sin free. Now you're saying Mary never sinned?

To confuse you a little more: I'm not even absolutelly sure, wether Jesus himselve was without sin. But I'm sure: God did not force Mary - so she was without sin. She was free.

And Jesus the same guy who fed 5000 people with 5 loaves of bread and 3 fish rose from the dead after being dead 3 days? Just like Jonah did after being in the whales belly for 3 days? Did that happen to? Jesus said it did. And did god really talk to moses and tell him slavery was OK? Did Noah actually exist?

I give your religion 200 years before it is a small cult once again.

Islam is more controlling so I give it another 400 years. A lot harder to reject a religion when its being forced on your society. America and Europe will never go back to that.

... And Jesus the same guy who fed 5000 people with 5 loaves of bread and 3 fish rose from the dead after being dead 3 days? Just like Jonah did after being in the whales belly for 3 days? Did that happen to? Jesus said it did. And did god really talk to moses and tell him slavery was OK? Did Noah actually exist?

Astonishing hate

Last edited:

And Jesus the same guy who fed 5000 people with 5 loaves of bread and 3 fish rose from the dead after being dead 3 days? Just like Jonah did after being in the whales belly for 3 days? Did that happen to? Jesus said it did. And did god really talk to moses and tell him slavery was OK? Did Noah actually exist?

Some believe that Jesus fed the people with a few loaves and fishes. And some speculate that when he demonstrated the sharing of the loaves and fishes everybody brought the food they had out of hiding and shared with all so that all were fed. Either way it was a pretty neat thing. As with most scripture, the original texts were originally first part of oral tradition and finally laboriously carved or written on animal skins, rocks, parchment, wooden tablets or whatever was available at the time. Nobody was following anybody around taking dictation or recording the exact words. And because writing was so tedious, they almost certainly left out a ton of detail that might have otherwise been included, but they trusted the people to be so familiar with the stories that the detail was unnecessary. Of course we would very much like to have the detail now.

Did Jesus say the story of Noah and Jonah were actual events? Or did he allude to the message contained in the stories? Jesus himself utilized a lot of parables or allegorical tales to illustrate the point he intended to make. That was a long standing Jewish tradition spanning millenia.

Did Jesus rise from the dead as the Bible says? The record is pretty specific that he was crucified and nobody has ever been able to present evidence that the basic story is untrue or unlikely to be true. There are minor differences in detail in multiple tellings of the story, but to somebody like me, it is those differences that make them much more credible. You won't find any two eye witnesses who remember every detail absolutely the same about any traumatic event. Had they all agreed on every detail I would think that suspect.

Did Jesus rise from the dead? My experience with the Christ gives me every confidence that he did.

And after all the efforts to destroy it, discredit it, and corrupt it, the fact that Christianity remains strong and has so many adherents willing to speak for it at great personal risk and cost, I have to believe the fact that it has endured for more than 2000 years suggests that it will be around as long as God wants it to be around. If it is gone in 200 years, then so will all of humankind be gone.

It is because I believe these things that I am a Christian.

Forum List

Back