Which one of these was the worst president ever?

Which President Was the Worst

• Richard Milhous Nixon

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Barack Hussein Obama

Votes: 38 37.6%
  • George Walker Bush

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • James Earl "Jimmy" Carter

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Thomas Woodrow Wilson

Votes: 18 17.8%

• Total voters
Reagan is the worst even though it is almost by accident. I do give Reagan credit for his many tax increases and bipartisan support of social security.

Bush Jr is almost too incompetent to be the worst, but he sure screwed up when even his own people abandoned him - single exception is the rich.

"....there's a growing realization that the starting point for many of the catastrophes confronting the United States today can be traced to Reagan's presidency. There's also a grudging reassessment that the "failed"- presidents of the 1970s--Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter--may deserve more credit for trying to grapple with the problems that now beset the country." OpEdNews - Article: Ronald Reagan: Worst President Ever?

"Since 1982, the Siena Research Institute has polled presidential scholars on whom they view to be best and worst presidents in American history, based on a variety of issues from “integrity” to economic stewardship. This year’s poll of 238 scholars found that President Franklin Roosevelt was once again ranked on top, joined by Presidents Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, and Teddy Roosevelt to complete the top five. However, President George W. Bush did not fare well since the last poll was conducted in 2002. He dropped 16 places to 39th, making him the worst president since Warren Harding died in office in 1923, and one of the bottom five of all time, according to the experts:

"Today, just one year after leaving office, the former president has found himself in the bottom five at 39th rated especially poorly in handling the economy, communication, ability to compromise, foreign policy accomplishments and intelligence. Rounding out the bottom five are four presidents that have held that dubious distinction each time the survey has been conducted: Andrew Johnson, James Buchanan, Warren G. Harding, and Franklin Pierce." 238 presidential scholars: Bush worst president of modern era, fifth worst in US history | Raw Story

None of the above.

Reagan for me.

is it something specific? Would you like to elaborate on what you didn't like.

Im just asking out of curiosity.

I'm not her, but I could see why she'd pick him. I wouldn't, as I think anyone from Nixon forward it's too soon to crown them "worst", but Reagan is probably going to answer for some stuff 50 years or so down the line.

Lots of Conservatives like to hold up Reagan as the paragon of Conservatism, but once you weed out the rhetoric from the actual actions, you see a lot of the seeds of the issues we're facing today firmly rooted in Reagan's time in office.

what is the worst thing that you think he decided to do?

Wilson easily, though I'm kinda sad you missed Buchanon, as he could have been the only one to make me pause on hitting the "wilson" button.

Wilson's complete @#*$#@($&#@(&$ up of the end of WWI and the Spanish Flu Pandemic should assure him a spot in the bottom 5 for the rest of time. The fact he was actively pursuing becoming President of the World (tm) via the League of Nations while on the US Taxpayer dime was pretty crappy too. Between assuring us a future war with Germany, a future war with Japan (botched that one too Woody), actively blocking attempts to fight the Flu Pandemic, and setting the wheels of the Great Depression in motion I'm not sure how he had time to actually do anything Progressive, and yet, he did.

sorry man. I wanted to pick a few recent, the one that was impeached, one that has been conistently labelled (worst president in modern history), and then wanted to list the one I would pick (wilson)

I think "Other" is being added to the poll.

It's ok. Buchanon and Wilson are a toss up for me. I think that Wilson did more active damage to the World, capital "W", and Buchanon did a lot of active damage to the US itself through sheer inaction. So which is worse, active idiocy, or sheer laziness?

It's a toss up between the massive debt he incurred, which is the root of a great many economic issues today, or his "ends justify the means" method of ending the Cold War. A great many of the issues we're seeing all over the world now have roots in Reagan's willingness (and those before him too, to be fair) to embrace any enemy of Communism, no matter how vile or how likely they were to turn on us.

Like I said, give it 50 years to shake out and we'll see. Reagan could end up in the top 5 depending on things turn out, or he could end up in the bottom 5. It's going to come down to how we end up paying for the debt and the deals made at the end of the Cold War.

I said Obama because the country really didn't need a third Bush term. Many liberals here claim Obama saved the country yet it is still going downhill when you look at the country without the partisan blinders. The fact that Obama plans on spending over a billion to get re elected is also dangerous, now he is out of the closet about being the absolute most bought politician in history and yet still some cheer him on.

Over this last year I admit that I have seen an “awakening” on these boards from many on the left about just how bad of a President Obama is.

The stimulus is great if you don’t compare it to anything (get that, anything) that it claimed it would do at the start.

I would say FDR was the worst tho.

The real answer is FDR. That sumbitch was a dictator for 12 years. No other POTUS has wielded that kind of power, although the last 2 idiots have tried.

It's a toss up between the massive debt he incurred, which is the root of a great many economic issues today, or his "ends justify the means" method of ending the Cold War. A great many of the issues we're seeing all over the world now have roots in Reagan's willingness (and those before him too, to be fair) to embrace any enemy of Communism, no matter how vile or how likely they were to turn on us.

Like I said, give it 50 years to shake out and we'll see. Reagan could end up in the top 5 depending on things turn out, or he could end up in the bottom 5. It's going to come down to how we end up paying for the debt and the deals made at the end of the Cold War.

thanks for answering my question.

I appreciate your opinion.

Woodrow Wilson. Among those listed, his policies, so far, were the most damaging to our country. Obama, having resurrected Keynesianism at the worst of all possible times in recent history, is a close second, followed by Carter and Nixon in that order.

The Worst Since 1900
Woodrow Wilson
Barak Obama
Lyndon Johnson
Jimmy Carter
Richard Nixon

The Best Since 1900
Ronald Reagan
Dwight Eisenhower
Teddy Roosevelt
Howard Taft
Herbert Hoover

F.D.R. resides in a class of his own. He was indisputably a great war leader who understood, like Churchill, the nature and extent of the danger that fascism posed to the world long before most. On the other hand, he bungled the peace with sad and dangerous concessions to the Soviet Union, and his domestic policies prolonged the Depression. So why is he not regarded by me to be the worst? Well, because he did love America in spite of his policies and was not a Pollyannaish, self-righteous, mean little prick like Wilson who actually admired the putative efficiency of fascism to get "those things done that needed doing" over the heads of the nitwits, you know, the average benighted American.

Last edited:
NONE OF THE ABOVE...

Warren Harding. I am not sure it is even possible to be any worse. C'mon, he gambled, drank and allowed his friends to outright steal money out of the treasury...no one is even close to the corruption of Harding.

Obama and Bush...for God's sake...really?

NONE OF THE ABOVE...

Warren Harding. I am not sure it is even possible to be any worse. C'mon, he gambled, drank and allowed his friends to outright steal money out of the treasury...no one is even close to the corruption of Harding.

Obama and Bush...for God's sake...really?

well i picked wilson but people on this forum love to debate whether obama or bush are the worst ever so for discussion value they have to be there.

Without them this thread wouldn't have traction ;)

Out of those 5 I went with Bush. I think it's really too early to accurately compared Bush and Obama to the others. I think you have to analyze things from a historical context-sometimes people are ahead of their time, and the people of the time would say they were terrible (such as Lincoln-MANY would have said he was the worst ever while he was in office, and right after). So it could change-but for now, I think Bush takes the cake between these 5.

The real answer is FDR. That sumbitch was a dictator for 12 years. No other POTUS has wielded that kind of power, although the last 2 idiots have tried.

i was going to add him to the poll, but i went with wilson instead.

If gone by policy you could have lumped Obama/Bush as 1 and then added FDR in their place. =D

LOL, I can't argue with that at this point in Obama's presidency.

Obama is like everything bad about bush on speed.

And whom enabled him?

the american voters.

Yep...and through the depression (because of Govenment policies, a war footing) were contributors to it...nevermind that FDR caused the depression to go on longer than it should...which brings us up to date with Obama, and HIS policies...what we endure NOW.

Out of those choices, I voted Bush, but Carter was a close second, and there are several other presidents that I would rate worse than any of them.

James Buchanan comes to mind. Hoover Also.

W. -Hands down, now and forever...Wilson, the Treaty, and the League were ruined by myopic Pubs who started the great depression...very similar to Neocons, a disaster. Carter was unlucky -now we're paying the price still. Not Teddy's best years...Reagun's legacy is today's ideogical Pub mess...Obamahhhhh! The best is coming- Health Care and global competitiveness.

Forum List

Back