Which character trait...

Which character trait do you believe is at the root of most of the world’s evils?

• Selfishness

• Hate

• Indifference / lack of empathy

• Ignorance

• Dishonesty

• Other (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Great answer, I can’t believe I forgot to add that to the list! As you know that was the sin that caused the devil to rebel / fall in the first place. And it’s still at the root of a lot of other things, especially unbelief.

I agree with Buttercup that of those listed, selfishness is the character trait most likely to be at the root of evil. After all, you aren't going to Love your Neighbor as yourself, treat others as you want to be treated, or even strive to do no harm if you are only thinking of yourself.

Ignorance was my first pick, then selfishness. Wanted to also choose dishonesty but that ties into ignorance—as ignorance from dishonesty gets corrupt people elected. Really I could have checked them all off.

Other: Religiosity.
Since religiosity is different than faith, anyone can be overly “religious” about something. You certainly are, in your hate for God.
ramadan-bomb-athon-day-01-attacks-kills-terror-in-the-22895944.png

Which character trait do you believe is at the root of most of the world’s evils?

any that are used to cause harm to others, which implies it is the recipients spirit and not their traits that is responsible for evil behavior - someone selfish that does not cause harm to others is not evil and is why simplistic religions themselves become evil through exacting unfounded accusations, harm on otherwise innocent individuals. history repeating itself.

When you say “the recipient’s spirit”, what do you mean by that? That sounds very general and vague. While I agree that a person can have bad qualities yet not act on it… Nearly all bad actions stem from bad qualities on the inside. Did that make sense?
When you say “the recipient’s spirit”, what do you mean by that? That sounds very general and vague. While I agree that a person can have bad qualities yet not act on it… Nearly all bad actions stem from bad qualities on the inside. Did that make sense?

- a person can have bad qualities yet not act on it…

a person can have bad qualities, act on them and not be evil as well the opposite. no trait in of itself is evil - scrooge as a charter can chose not to be evil the same as everyone else. deliberately choosing to be misunderstood is also a trait. such is the unfortunate reality of an indistinguishable delineation between good and evil, having to learn the difference to become one or the other without becoming overwhelmed and out of control.

Nearly all bad actions stem from bad qualities on the inside.

what is vague and general about a persons spirit ... their ability to distinguish correctly right from wrong.

I'd say that the root of all evil is the love of money, which is rooted in selfishness.

Vanity.
It is what got Lucifer shot out of Heaven like a lightening bolt and is rampant today:

And the afflicted people thou wilt save: but thine eyes are upon the haughty, that thou mayest bring them down.

Before destruction, the heart of man is haughty, and before honor is humility.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

And today:
For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.” (2 Timothy 3:3–5)

Vanity.
It is what got Lucifer shot out of Heaven like a lightening bolt and is rampant today:

And the afflicted people thou wilt save: but thine eyes are upon the haughty, that thou mayest bring them down.

And today:
For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.” (2 Timothy 3:3–5)
Timothy 3:3–5

there you go with your 4th century book, ram ... they like you have abandoned the original religion, the proper Triumph would not even require the return of the deity - only yours will insure their return and you christians will be the first to go.

Vanity.

And today:

Yeah, it might very well be the worst one… because it leads to a lot of the other vices. And in addition to all that, I think pride prevents people from learning new things or discovering truth, because they think they’re so intelligent, and it causes a form of blindness. Thanks for chiming in!

Forum List

Back