Where is our party going? A young republicans views on the world. Agree or disagree.

YoungRepublican

Dec 21, 2012
New Jersey
Where is our party going?

As a college senior about to enter his final semester certain realities start to sink in. As these problems begin to creep into my mind I have been left with an epiphany about the Republican Party. I am a registered Republican, President of my College Young Republican chapter and believe I have a decent hold on the Republican platform. The question of our parties’ future came to me while discussing politics with some friends over drinks at our local bar. The girl to the left of me asked “Why can’t the Republicans seem to get any support from youth?” Her question came after our group of mixed political sentiments was able to reach a solid middle ground. Yes, that is correct Democrats and Republicans were able to agree on something as volatile as The Affordable Care Act. Why should that be something to celebrate over? Because it is a rarity in today’s political world. But why is it so unheard of? Considering my Republican roots I will address what I believe is our problem.
Our problem is the fringe movement within our party that refers to themselves as the “Tea Party”. I am hesitant to describe these groups as “within our party”, mostly due to a mixture within myself of denial and hope. These people are unable to conjure up enough common sense to realize that there is more than one way to accomplish a goal. Perhaps the most complex part about this to me is, the goals that they seem most fervent about are the ones that have little to no implications on their lives. I have come to this realization because, while I worry about finding a job, getting in to Law School or establishing a 401 (K) to supplement the non-existent pension I won’t receive, they are busy telling homosexuals they cannot marry. I envy those with the free time to worry about something so petty. We have entered a period in our history that cannot be compromised by concerning ourselves on whether a person arrested with a gram of pot goes away to jail.
The platform I have found that resonates best with potential Republican’s is a simple one. We do not care if gays get married; they deserve every right heterosexuals do. We do not care if a person with a few grams of marijuana doesn’t go to jail; they are overpopulated anyway and I don’t want to pay because a person got high at the wrong place. And as controversial as this sounds, we would rather see a life begin at the right time, than one be brought into this world to a parent that is not ready to care for it. if you call abortion murder, than we will call bringing that child into this world as a slow form of torture. Both analogies are equally ridiculous. Obviously opinions differ and are much more complex than I can write at this time, but the point remains that social issues aren’t even on the back-burners of our political thoughts.
If citizens in these great states wish to continue to elect politicians that hold hearings on steroids over our ever impending fiscal apocalypse, then we deserve what is coming to us. Blame the media, blame the schools, hell, blame the parents, but at the end of the day it is our current elected officials that will decide my generations future. I can no longer sit back and accept the fact that some will just accept whatever Glen Beck has said on last night’s radio show as undeniable truth. They claim that my generation is one that will ruin our country, but I strongly contend that notion with the exact opposite. If you are reading this and are steaming mad at me, yelling epiphytes at your computer screen, it is you that are hurting this country. I am a Republican; I believe is fiscal responsibility over anything else, but the conviction I hold just as close to that is social freedoms. Make no mistake, social freedom is one of the core components in which this party was founded upon and because of that I can say with all honesty those who tell others what they can or cannot do with their lives have no business calling themselves Republicans.

You people need to ditch the religious fanatics and end your love affair with the well healed and powerful if you want to get anywhere in the future.

As a Young Republican, instead of being disheartened, make an effort to either participate yourself or find others of a like mind to run for local elections. The ONLY way to clean up the GOP 'establishment" is to oust the old timers who do nothing but work to retain their own seats of power. Start with the local GOP organizations. Find ways to replace the old, set in their way, aparechetets with those of a like mind to you and your friends.

2013 will present great opportunities as more and more become totally disenchanted with the Democrat efforts and programs.

Thats the problem i think. Anyone who disagrees with that thinks im either one of those two. Im the exact opposite. Anyone who knows me, knows I am a devout Republican. Thats why I am trying to warn people what is going on, I am trying to save our party. In 20 years these fanatics will be either dead or irrellevant and we need to attract people my age and the only way we can do this is by stop acting crazy. Call me what you guys want to, I dont really care, but I am just trying to warn you what our party will become if we allow the Tea Party to become a prominent voice.

You're in college?

Republicans feel education is for snobs.

Romney ran on a platform vowing to cut the number of teachers and increasing class size and bringing over immigrants who already have degrees.

The Republican Party platform in Texas wants to outlaw teaching "critical thinking" to children.

Many Republicans feel the earth is only thousands of years old and want that taught as science.

Now, why are you a "Republican"?

You're in college?

Romney ran on a platform vowing to cut the number of teachers and increasing class size and bringing over immigrants who already have degrees.

The Republican Party platform in Texas wants to outlaw teaching "critical thinking" to children.

Many Republicans feel the earth is only thousands of years old and want that taught as science.

I am a Republican becuase I believe in our core values, the valuse that I am trying to return to the party. I believe in fiscal responsibility and social freedoms. You have me confused with a tea partier, which is exactly the point I am trying to make. You automatically look at me and think, that guy wants to cut education because he is a Republican. I am at an automatic disadvantage. I believe in limiting union power, not eliminating critical thinking. Education is EVERYTHING! I want to have a legitamite discussion about this and to do that you need to realize that there are sane Republican out there, even though our numbers are taking a hit. I believe we can fix this, but I cant do it alone and I cant do it with someone questioning my values due to the actions of others.

In general, the Tea Parties are all about fiscal discipline, limited gov't, less spending, and lower taxes. The social conservatives attached themselves to various TP groups and suborned their message to include the issues you describe, such as gay rights and abortion. If the GOP is ever to right it's own ship so to speak, they're going to have to move towards the center on many of those social issues, and be a little more flexible in their approach to the fiscal side. The problem is, the democrats also have their crazies who will not bend at all on their agenda, and the rest of us are caught in the middle.

Look at the last election; out of the 50 states only 6 or 8 of 'em were in play. I suspect that sooner or later the democratic approach to raise taxes and increase spending will fail. The republicans need to be the voice of economic reason without the social baggage. We need better candidates with more moderate positions. I'm not sure they're ready to do that yet, maybe they need a shellacking oin 2014 to realize they better change their policies.

You're in college?

I am a Republican becuase I believe in our core values, the valuse that I am trying to return to the party. I believe in fiscal responsibility and social freedoms. You have me confused with a tea partier, which is exactly the point I am trying to make. You automatically look at me and think, that guy wants to cut education because he is a Republican. I am at an automatic disadvantage. I believe in limiting union power, not eliminating critical thinking. Education is EVERYTHING! I want to have a legitamite discussion about this and to do that you need to realize that there are sane Republican out there, even though our numbers are taking a hit. I believe we can fix this, but I cant do it alone and I cant do it with someone questioning my values due to the actions of others.

I haven't confused you with anyone. I merely pointed out what passes for "core values" for today's Republican Party. I did question your insistence on an "attachment" to a political party that is determined to harm this country.

Data proves that since Reagan, "fiscal responsibility" is nothing Republicans believe in. Under Democrats, deficits shrink and the economy improves and the number of jobs have grown. The only similarity between the country and a company his how each improves and grows with "investment". Republicans don't believe in investing in this country. At least not since Eisenhower. Under Eisenhower, NASA was started. One of the greatest centers of scientific advancement ever created. Also, the interstate highway system, the lifeblood of the country.

In the middle 60's, Conservatives fled the Democratic Party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party because many African Americans joined the Democratic Party. Today's Republicans try to take credit for what Republicans did BEFORE conservatives took it over. Today's Republican party is 90% white.

Unions represent a measly 10% or so of all American workers. Republicans want to end the minimum wage. Right wing colleges and universities, like Bob Jones and Liberty, are rated at no more than tier four. The Chinese funded Chamber of Commerce, who gives to Republicans 10 to 1 over Democrats, has helped move millions of jobs to China and close thousands of US factories under George Bush.

The last 40 years has seen a Republican Party that has lied to the American people, caused the deaths and maiming of tens of thousands of Americans, grew our deficit, wrecked our economy and neglected our infrastructure.

And if you think Republicans value education, you need to do a little research. Short answer is: They don't.

And finally, this a a complex world. The US has been the leaders in science and technology. We have the greatest variety of people that has ever existed. You can't name a country in the world that doesn't have sizable representation in this country. And yet, we want a "simple, small, ineffective government"? That's crazy. We need a government that works. One that is advanced with smart people in charge. Bush shows us what happens when people in charge of the government are stupid. Scientists who worked for Bush quit in droves because of his policies. Bush fired the qualified at the Justice Department and replaced them with Bible College students. Bush tried to get his secretary confirmed on the Supreme Court.

If anyone wants a discussion, come up with a Republican idea or policy in the last 40 years that is something worth talking about. Not these scripted sound bytes like, "Unions are bad" and "shrink government".

The goal can't be "shrink government". It has to be "good government" but as small as possible. But it has to work. If it doesn't work, who cares what the size is?

And finally, other country see "government, business and Universities" as working together. Republicans hate government, say universities are hotbeds of liberalism and want to turn over the country to corporations. al Qaeda hasn't been able to inflict a tenth the damage the Republicans have caused since 2000.

At least Democrats are a coalition party made up of everyone. Even conservatives (called Blue Dawgs). Republicans are 90% white. They have zero liberals.

You're in college?

I haven't confused you with anyone. I merely pointed out what passes for "core values" for today's Republican Party. I did question your insistence on an "attachment" to a political party that is determined to harm this country.

Data proves that since Reagan, "fiscal responsibility" is nothing Republicans believe in. Under Democrats, deficits shrink and the economy improves and the number of jobs have grown. The only similarity between the country and a company his how each improves and grows with "investment". Republicans don't believe in investing in this country. At least not since Eisenhower. Under Eisenhower, NASA was started. One of the greatest centers of scientific advancement ever created. Also, the interstate highway system, the lifeblood of the country.

In the middle 60's, Conservatives fled the Democratic Party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party because many African Americans joined the Democratic Party. Today's Republicans try to take credit for what Republicans did BEFORE conservatives took it over. Today's Republican party is 90% white.

Unions represent a measly 10% or so of all American workers. Republicans want to end the minimum wage. Right wing colleges and universities, like Bob Jones and Liberty, are rated at no more than tier four. The Chinese funded Chamber of Commerce, who gives to Republicans 10 to 1 over Democrats, has helped move millions of jobs to China and close thousands of US factories under George Bush.

The last 40 years has seen a Republican Party that has lied to the American people, caused the deaths and maiming of tens of thousands of Americans, grew our deficit, wrecked our economy and neglected our infrastructure.

And if you think Republicans value education, you need to do a little research. Short answer is: They don't.

And finally, this a a complex world. The US has been the leaders in science and technology. We have the greatest variety of people that has ever existed. You can't name a country in the world that doesn't have sizable representation in this country. And yet, we want a "simple, small, ineffective government"? That's crazy. We need a government that works. One that is advanced with smart people in charge. Bush shows us what happens when people in charge of the government are stupid. Scientists who worked for Bush quit in droves because of his policies. Bush fired the qualified at the Justice Department and replaced them with Bible College students. Bush tried to get his secretary confirmed on the Supreme Court.

If anyone wants a discussion, come up with a Republican idea or policy in the last 40 years that is something worth talking about. Not these scripted sound bytes like, "Unions are bad" and "shrink government".

The goal can't be "shrink government". It has to be "good government" but as small as possible. But it has to work. If it doesn't work, who cares what the size is?

And finally, other country see "government, business and Universities" as working together. Republicans hate government, say universities are hotbeds of liberalism and want to turn over the country to corporations. al Qaeda hasn't been able to inflict a tenth the damage the Republicans have caused since 2000.

At least Democrats are a coalition party made up of everyone. Even conservatives (called Blue Dawgs). Republicans are 90% white. They have zero liberals.

I'm not sure if you have been viewing liberal policy in European countries lately or if you need a refresher course in economics. Here’s my problem with you. I present my position that most would see as reasonable, and you aren’t even able to acknowledge my willingness to compromise with you. I do not want a smaller govt, I want a government that does not pass a 700 trillion dollar stimulus package loaded with pork belly spending. Before you go and say "we needed that!" no shit we needed a stimulus, want to be Chris Matthews, but we needed it to spend such a large amount of tax payer money (you know those people that work in offices, schools and small business) more responsibly. You know what I’m talking about so don’t waste either of our times with asking for me to post the multiple sources I would have to, to prove a point everyone who knows anything is already aware of. When did I ever say I attended a right wing university, now your just throwing out insults to pad your self-ingenious rant about how the party ruined America, we get it Michael Moore we are evil people. Has it ever crossed your mind that I am in full support of Nasa and infrastructure that can be paid for from money that isnt borrowed? Simple and small is not what I believe our country needs, we need one that is effective and understands it role. Hey man if you want to go off on your elitist, I’m better than you because I am a democrat rant go ahead, but you are just being as unproductive as the republicans you claim to crusade against. I really don’t get it. You keep waiting for everyone to see the light and become a democrat where ponies run free and everyone loves each other, I’m going to continue to have rational conservative opinions on fiscal responsibility and social freedoms from an effective government and hope to work with those with opposing opinions. You see that is the difference between you and I, when you talk politics people groan and say oh there he goes again, but when I talk politics to others no matter what that persons views are, we are usually able to have an adult debate where some result can be reached. Unless I am talking to a person like you, and the sad part is, both Republican and Democrat, there are plenty of “yous”. People who think that their opinion is God’s gift to politics. Until you realize what your type of person is doing to this country please don’t respond, if you want to have a big boy conversataion then come back to me with some actual substance.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if you have been viewing liberal policy in European countries lately or if you need a refresher course in economics. Here’s my problem with you. I present my position that most would see as reasonable, and you aren’t even able to acknowledge my willingness to compromise with you. I do not want a smaller govt, I want a government that does not pass a 700 trillion dollar stimulus package loaded with pork belly spending. Before you go and say "we needed that!" no shit we needed a stimulus, want to be Chris Matthews, but we needed it to spend such a large amount of tax payer money (you know those people that work in offices, schools and small business) more responsibly. You know what I’m talking about so don’t waste either of our times with asking for me to post the multiple sources I would have to, to prove a point everyone who knows anything is already aware of. When did I ever say I attended a right wing university, now your just throwing out insults to pad your self-ingenious rant about how the party ruined America, we get it Michael Moore we are evil people. Has it ever crossed your mind that I am in full support of Nasa and infrastructure that can be paid for from money that isnt borrowed? Simple and small is not what I believe our country needs, we need one that is effective and understands it role. Hey man if you want to go off on your elitist, I’m better than you because I am a democrat rant go ahead, but you are just being as unproductive as the republicans you claim to crusade against. I really don’t get it. You keep waiting for everyone to see the light and become a democrat where ponies run free and everyone loves each other, I’m going to continue to have rational conservative opinions on fiscal responsibility and social freedoms from an effective government and hope to work with those with opposing opinions. You see that is the difference between you and I, when you talk politics people groan and say oh there he goes again, but when I talk politics to others no matter what that persons views are, we are usually able to have an adult debate where some result can be reached. Unless I am talking to a person like you, and the sad part is, both Republican and Democrat, there are plenty of “yous”. People who think that their opinion is God’s gift to politics. Until you realize what your type of person is doing to this country please don’t respond, if you want to have a big boy conversataion then come back to me with some actual substance.

And you need a refresher course in paragraphs.

Well thought out OP.

I have a very close friend who is a firm republican, your thoughts mirror his. He was a volunteer for the Romney campaign, and was heart sick for our country when Obama won reelection.

He reminds me that Republican values are winnable values, and not everyone, or even most republicans are social moonbats ;)

And you need a refresher course in paragraphs.

Could you teach me to paragraph or can i find it on the interweb? If lack of knowledge is keeping you from posting anything in the political discussion please continue with your grammer help. Youre just showing insecurities.

Do yourself a favor kid, ignore politics. Focus on things that you can control, like your own life and your actions. Politics is a waste of time.

Well thought out OP.

I have a very close friend who is a firm republican, your thoughts mirror his. He was a volunteer for the Romney campaign, and was heart sick for our country when Obama won reelection.

He reminds me that Republican values are winnable values, and not everyone, or even most republicans are social moonbats ;)

Thank you. I interned with the Victory center and it was one of the most fulfilling things I have ever done academically, despite the loss. I hope to restore faith in any person I can talk to!

Do yourself a favor kid, ignore politics. Focus on things that you can control, like your own life and your actions. Politics is a waste of time.
Ive felt that way plenty of times. I just feel that maybe one day I can make a difference. I cant give up on this country. I hope people can get along with my ideas and one day we can make a change for the better! dont lose faith in the youth, no matter how many reasons we give you.

Last edited:
Our problem is the fringe movement within our party that refers to themselves as the “Tea Party”.

Your problem is multiple fringe movements in the GOP: social conservatives (anti-privacy rights with regard to abortion, anti-equal protection rights with regard to same-sex couples), Christian fundamentalists (anti-separation of church and State), and the radical fiscal right, aka ‘tea party’ (opposed to sensible tax policy, mindless obsession with the myth of ‘big government’).

The easy part was identifying the problem.

The hard part will be finding a solution, as the extremists will relentlessly attack you and other sane republicans every step of the way.

Our problem is the fringe movement within our party that refers to themselves as the “Tea Party”.

Your problem is multiple fringe movements in the GOP: social conservatives (anti-privacy rights with regard to abortion, anti-equal protection rights with regard to same-sex couples), Christian fundamentalists (anti-separation of church and State), and the radical fiscal right, aka ‘tea party’ (opposed to sensible tax policy, mindless obsession with the myth of ‘big government’).

The hard part will be finding a solution, as the extremists will relentlessly attack you and other sane republicans every step of the way.

Now we're getting somewhere. I didnt mean to attack you the way I did, but its very frustrating when groups like those place an identity on my opinions just because we allegedly share the same party. We could find middle ground Mr. Jones and not just you and I, there are plenty of repubs out there who feel the same way I do. You just have to look for us and not attack anyone who says they are Republican. Lets work together my man!

Where is our party going?

As a college senior about to enter his final semester certain realities start to sink in. As these problems begin to creep into my mind I have been left with an epiphany about the Republican Party. I am a registered Republican, President of my College Young Republican chapter and believe I have a decent hold on the Republican platform. The question of our parties’ future came to me while discussing politics with some friends over drinks at our local bar. The girl to the left of me asked “Why can’t the Republicans seem to get any support from youth?” Her question came after our group of mixed political sentiments was able to reach a solid middle ground. Yes, that is correct Democrats and Republicans were able to agree on something as volatile as The Affordable Care Act. Why should that be something to celebrate over? Because it is a rarity in today’s political world. But why is it so unheard of? Considering my Republican roots I will address what I believe is our problem.
Our problem is the fringe movement within our party that refers to themselves as the “Tea Party”. I am hesitant to describe these groups as “within our party”, mostly due to a mixture within myself of denial and hope. These people are unable to conjure up enough common sense to realize that there is more than one way to accomplish a goal. Perhaps the most complex part about this to me is, the goals that they seem most fervent about are the ones that have little to no implications on their lives. I have come to this realization because, while I worry about finding a job, getting in to Law School or establishing a 401 (K) to supplement the non-existent pension I won’t receive, they are busy telling homosexuals they cannot marry. I envy those with the free time to worry about something so petty. We have entered a period in our history that cannot be compromised by concerning ourselves on whether a person arrested with a gram of pot goes away to jail.
The platform I have found that resonates best with potential Republican’s is a simple one. We do not care if gays get married; they deserve every right heterosexuals do. We do not care if a person with a few grams of marijuana doesn’t go to jail; they are overpopulated anyway and I don’t want to pay because a person got high at the wrong place. And as controversial as this sounds, we would rather see a life begin at the right time, than one be brought into this world to a parent that is not ready to care for it. if you call abortion murder, than we will call bringing that child into this world as a slow form of torture. Both analogies are equally ridiculous. Obviously opinions differ and are much more complex than I can write at this time, but the point remains that social issues aren’t even on the back-burners of our political thoughts.
If citizens in these great states wish to continue to elect politicians that hold hearings on steroids over our ever impending fiscal apocalypse, then we deserve what is coming to us. Blame the media, blame the schools, hell, blame the parents, but at the end of the day it is our current elected officials that will decide my generations future. I can no longer sit back and accept the fact that some will just accept whatever Glen Beck has said on last night’s radio show as undeniable truth. They claim that my generation is one that will ruin our country, but I strongly contend that notion with the exact opposite. If you are reading this and are steaming mad at me, yelling epiphytes at your computer screen, it is you that are hurting this country. I am a Republican; I believe is fiscal responsibility over anything else, but the conviction I hold just as close to that is social freedoms. Make no mistake, social freedom is one of the core components in which this party was founded upon and because of that I can say with all honesty those who tell others what they can or cannot do with their lives have no business calling themselves Republicans.

This is the biggest pile of crap ever. I'm not even going to pretend to take this seriously as if you're a young Republican; you're one of Jake Starkey's imaginary kids, a poseur.

Look you might think you get Liberal pussy by being a "feeling" Liberal and thinking that the Tea Party are a bunch of mean old poopyheads but take a look around, Liberal idea not only suck but suck gigantic Alaskan moosecock. Their government-centric economic model is failing in broad daylight in Europe. Unemployment is 25% in Greece and Spain. In case you're not really sure if that's good, let me tell you, that's not good. Why would you embrace an economic model that is failing? Can you tell me?

Also, these great Liberal ideas fail so hard they are abandoned by real Communists. These Liberal economic ideas you love, put you and your Liberal friends economically to the LEFT of real Communists who have joyfully embraced free enterprise.

If you're sincere, grow the fuck up, you don't have much time. But as I said when I started, I know you're full of crap

Last edited:

Now we're getting somewhere. I didnt mean to attack you the way I did, but its very frustrating when groups like those place an identity on my opinions just because we allegedly share the same party. We could find middle ground Mr. Jones and not just you and I, there are plenty of repubs out there who feel the same way I do. You just have to look for us and not attack anyone who says they are Republican. Lets work together my man!

I have no problem working with sane, reasonable republicans.

But the ball is in your court to deal with your insane, irresponsible fellow republicans.

Forum List

Back