Where do you live and why? Why don't you live elsewhere? Where instead might you live?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
The answers to the two title questions are for most folks overlapped, but I suspect they aren't entirely the same.

Where I live and why:
  • Where: Washington, D.C. -- downtown
  • Why:
    • Because I like cities where I can walk to much of what I want to do and where, when I don't walk, it rarely takes more than ten minutes to get where I want to go.
    • Because D.C. is, to my eyes, a beautiful city (the parts people live in as well as the federal part of the city) with an abundance of trees and parks.
    • I grew up in D.C. and insofar as nothing has militated that I move elsewhere, I just haven't.
    • It's reasonably close to both the shore and the mountains.
    • D.C. is fairly well insulated from natural disasters.
    • D.C. has good public transportation and decent access to the rest of the world via air travel.
    • D.C. is one of the nation's intellectual hubs.
    • D.C. is a small city.
    • D.C. is diverse -- there are people of (nearly?) all races, creeds, nationalities, and lifestyles in D.C.
    • The weather is temperate.
    • The variety of dining options is awesome.
    • There're decent performing arts.
Why I don't live elsewhere:
  • Mostly because living in D.C. isn't, for me, "broken," so there's no point in my trying to "fix" it by moving elsewhere.
  • The type of work I undertook to pursue as a career has no physical location constraints.
Where else do I think I could live happily?
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Denver, CO -- provided I didn't think Yellowstone would erupt during my lifetime
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
    • Any number of "old word" style cities -- downtown is a nice place and one can walk to "everything" -- on the East Coast Piedmont plateau or Mountain Northwest (well north and/or west of Yellowstone) that is far enough from the ocean not to have to worry about hurricane storm surge and having a topography that is varied enough to keep tornados to a minimum and that doesn't generally have earthquakes.
  • Outside the U.S.
    • Any major European city -- capital cities are my preference -- that doesn't need a wall of some sort to keep out the ocean and that isn't prone to quakes and volcanic eruptions. I would love to live in Amsterdam, but there's no way I would live in A-dam. Paris would be my first choice.
If there's any central theme to why I live where I do and don't live where I don't, it's that I have no desire to live in places where nature's unforeseen "drama" can "reach out and touch" me and my family in our home.

I came to South Carolina for a job. I've been here for 5 years now and I love it.

Previously I lived in Southern California for more than 30nyears. Then New Mexico for 3.

Truth of the matter is, I could live anywhere just so long as I have my wife with me.

I live in Austria. Im content and dont want to live anywhere else. Its a beautiful country. As a immigrant and romani (gypsy) I might one day be forced to go somewhere else if there is a new Hitler or like that. But now everything is fine.

I'm stuck, can't afford to move. I can see the ocean any time I want but I haven't been to the beach in years. I hate the heat. I hate my job. Sometimes I hate my family. But my job is to support my family and without that I wouldn't have a reason to live.

The answers to the two title questions are for most folks overlapped, but I suspect they aren't entirely the same.

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • Because I like cities where I can walk to much of what I want to do and where, when I don't walk, it rarely takes more than ten minutes to get where I want to go.
    • Because D.C. is, to my eyes, a beautiful city (the parts people live in as well as the federal part of the city) with an abundance of trees and parks.
    • I grew up in D.C. and insofar as nothing has militated that I move elsewhere, I just haven't.
    • D.C. has good public transportation and decent access to the rest of the world via air travel.
    • D.C. is a small city.
    • D.C. is diverse -- there are people of (nearly?) all races, creeds, nationalities, and lifestyles in D.C.
  • Mostly because living in D.C. isn't, for me, "broken," so there's no point in my trying to "fix" it by moving elsewhere.
  • The type of work I undertook to pursue as a career has no physical location constraints.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Denver, CO -- provided I didn't think Yellowstone would erupt during my lifetime
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
    • Any number of "old word" style cities -- downtown is a nice place and one can walk to "everything" -- on the East Coast Piedmont plateau or Mountain Northwest (well north and/or west of Yellowstone) that is far enough from the ocean not to have to worry about hurricane storm surge and having a topography that is varied enough to keep tornados to a minimum and that doesn't generally have earthquakes.
  • Outside the U.S.
    • Any major European city -- capital cities are my preference -- that doesn't need a wall of some sort to keep out the ocean and that isn't prone to quakes and volcanic eruptions. I would love to live in Amsterdam, but there's no way I would live in A-dam. Paris would be my first choice.
If there's any central theme to why I live where I do and don't live where I don't, it's that I have no desire to live in places where nature's unforeseen "drama" can "reach out and touch" me and my family in our home.
  • "D.C. is one of the nation's intellectual hubs."
Lmao!

Where I live and why:
  • Where: Orlando, Florida
  • Why: My father retired from the Navy and came here for the jobs, I was 15, been here ever since. I have a great job, house, family.
  • I don't want to quit my job.
  • In the U.S.
    • Any place in the southwest of the US, except Southern California
  • Outside the U.S.
    • No place outside of the US

I live where I live because I want to live where I am at..

I do not need the government to tell me where and how to live, that is why I reject the far left religion, as should anyone with any sense.

I live in Austria. Im content and dont want to live anywhere else. Its a beautiful country. As a immigrant and romani (gypsy) I might one day be forced to go somewhere else if there is a new Hitler or like that. But now everything is fine.

I can understand why. I've only been to Vienna, but I've a great time there everytime I've gone, and it's a gorgeous city with tons of cool history. There's plenty to like about Vienna. I would have no trouble living there, especially upon learning German.

One evening there, we'd been out sightseeing and had forgotten to make reservations for dinner. We happened upon Cafe Lanzman (sp?) they had a table, so that's where we ate. Walking back to the hotel, we passed a small bar that was about to close and were invited in to hang out with the owners and some of their friends. We played a card game that to this day I could not tell you what it was or how to play it. I recall it was a partnership game and it had trump. (It wasn't bridge and it wasn't pinochle.) We had a blast.

That sort of thing is quite common, or so it seems to me. I've developed some good and enduring relationships -- and, of course, the usual smattering of "one night stands" and the like -- with people in several European and Asian cities as a result of similarly serendipitous encounters.

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.

I lived in DC for years during and after college, through the 70s. Loved it. Everything you desire can be found there without the Times Square madness of NYC.

It got goofy after Home Rule and gun control kicked in. Now live in Northern Virginia, which is turning into Maryland. Am looking.

If the world were more sane there are any number of places I could happily live.

Where I live and why:
  • Where: Orlando, Florida
  • Why: My father retired from the Navy and came here for the jobs, I was 15, been here ever since. I have a great job, house, family.
  • I don't want to quit my job.
  • In the U.S.
    • Any place in the southwest of the US, except Southern California
  • Outside the U.S.
    • No place outside of the US

I hope you've found a safe place to be this weekend. Wish you all the best.

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.
  • "D.C. is one of the nation's intellectual hubs."
Lmao!

More like, next to Hollyweird, Wall-street, or Silicon Valley, one of the biggest echo chambers in the nation.

:lmao:

I can understand why. I've only been to Vienna, but I've a great time there everytime I've gone, and it's a gorgeous city with tons of cool history. There's plenty to like about Vienna. I would have no trouble living there, especially upon learning German.

One evening there, we'd been out sightseeing and had forgotten to make reservations for dinner. We happened upon Cafe Lanzman (sp?) they had a table, so that's where we ate. Walking back to the hotel, we passed a small bar that was about to close and were invited in to hang out with the owners and some of their friends. We played a card game that to this day I could not tell you what it was or how to play it. I recall it was a partnership game and it had trump. (It wasn't bridge and it wasn't pinochle.) We had a blast.

That sort of thing is quite common, or so it seems to me. I've developed some good and enduring relationships -- and, of course, the usual smattering of "one night stands" and the like -- with people in several European and Asian cities as a result of similarly serendipitous encounters.

I really like it. But If I were to live in a other country, I would like to live in the USA. I think.

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.
youll-never-finda-more-wretched-hive-of-scum-and-villainy-9350302.png

I live in the upper Ohio River valley less than forty miles from Pittsburgh. I grew up here as did my parents. My grandfather, his brother and their par nets moved here from Dundee Scotland early in the twentieth century.

We're five hundred miles from the coast, so no hurricane defistation. We're in the foothills of the Alleghenies so no tornados. We're far from a seismic fault line so no earthquakes. We have abundant and steady rainfall so no drought. We have a glorious topography featuring steep ravines covered in hardwood forests. It's a temperate climate at 40 degrees north latitude so we enjoy a stunning change of seasons.

We have championship sports teams, a vibrant arts scene, tasty restaurants and a unique accent. For instance, while southerners say y'all and New Yorkers say youse, we say yinz.

Cost of living here is cheap, housing is a mix of mature stock built in the early 20th century, mid century developments and modern, contemporary units.

Where else might I live? Any east coast city from Boston to Philiy, but nowhere in New Jersey thank you very much.

Am looking.
Well, you know the area, so you don't need suggestions. I'll offer that my folks found being retired and living in Spring Valley to be just their speed -- in the city with the convenience that entails while living in a quiet neighborhood.

One lesson learned from watching my parents age. The best thing about where my parents choose to live out their dotage is that everything Mom needs is on one floor -- the master bedroom, kitchen and entry to the garage is all on the main floor.

That's been a huge boon for her in the past lustrum or so because unless they were to have put in an elevator, or done major renovation at 80+ years old, there's no way she could have stayed self-sufficient in her home for as long as she did, and moving was the last thing she'd have wanted to do at that age.

Even now that's she's feeble enough to need a sitter all the time, since her whole life happens on one floor, she doesn't feel like she's not living her own life...once she's in her wheelchair, she can go the kitchen and prepare simple meals at the table or reheat leftovers in the microwave or oven, roll herself outside to the patio and into the garden to water or repot a plant or cut some flowers, or into the family room to watch TV, etc.

I know some of that doesn't seem like much, but it's what keeps her going; it gives her life purpose, which is essential seeing as she's outlived all her friends and close relatives and the world is so different than the one in which she grew up and thrived. If you ask me, we should all be so lucky, but we can all make that little bit of luck for ourselves if, just as we did for our earlier years, we but plan for it when we start the final decades of life.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:
Am looking.
Well, you know the area, so you don't need suggestions. I'll offer that my folks found being retired and living in Spring Valley to be just their speed -- in the city with the convenience that entails while living in a quiet neighborhood.

One lesson learned from watching my parents age. The best thing about where my parents choose to live out their dotage is that everything Mom needs is on one floor -- the master bedroom, kitchen and entry to the garage is all on the main floor.

That's been a huge boon for her in the past lustrum or so because unless they were to have put in an elevator, or done major renovation at 80+ years old, there's no way she could have stayed self-sufficient in her home for as long as she did, and moving was the last thing she'd have wanted to do at that age.

Even now that's she's feeble enough to need a sitter all the time, since her whole life happens on one floor, she doesn't feel like she's not living her own life...once she's in her wheelchair, she can go the kitchen and prepare simple meals at the table or reheat leftovers in the microwave or oven, roll herself outside to the patio and into the garden to water or repot a plant or cut some flowers, or into the family room to watch TV, etc.

I know some of that doesn't seem like much, but it's what keeps her going; they give her life purpose, which is essential seeing as she's outlived all her friends and close relatives and the world is so different than the one in which she grew up and thrived. If you ask me, we should all be so lucky, but we can all make that little bit of luck for ourselves if, just as we did for our earlier years, we but plan for it when we start the final decades of lives.

Good luck in your quest.

Mine will be 91 in a month. She's a sweetheart and the brain still works. She doesn't need assistance yet but I can see 2-3 years down the road she will, even if just to deal with the feminine stuff she would never permit the family to do.

She planned ahead, and the family is involved.

I should be so lucky when I get there. :laugh:

Wish your Mom well. If she's happy, that's really all that matters.

I live in Tucson Arizona and moved out here in '81 for a job. My original plan was to come out for a year or two and move back to Maryland. Best laid plans, eh? My job worked out well, I only work part time now. I met my wife out here and she is a prof at U of Az. There isn't anything outstanding about Tucson but if you can take the heat, the weather is great 8 months of the year. And it's relatively cheap cost of living.

Am looking.

I know some of that doesn't seem like much, but it's what keeps her going; they give her life purpose, which is essential seeing as she's outlived all her friends and close relatives and the world is so different than the one in which she grew up and thrived. If you ask me, we should all be so lucky, but we can all make that little bit of luck for ourselves if, just as we did for our earlier years, we but plan for it when we start the final decades of lives.

Good luck in your quest.

Mine will be 91 in a month. She's a sweetheart and the brain still works. She doesn't need assistance yet but I can see 2-3 years down the road she will, even if just to deal with the feminine stuff she would never permit the family to do.

She planned ahead, and the family is involved.

I should be so lucky when I get there. :laugh:

Wish your Mom well. If she's happy, that's really all that matters.
Wish your Mom well.

Thank you.

I live in Foley Alabama.
Why? Good value for your dollar in Real Estate, low taxes, growing economy and very, very few Liberals.
Where else? Maybe Lillian, AL Why? It's about 7 miles east of here and has even less Liberals.

Forum List

Back