Where did the "We the people" go?

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
It is all about they and them now.

Folks WE are THEY and THEM.

We have let ourselves be misled into fracturing our country, and I am not sure WE can pull it back together.

And we damn sure can't as long as we are they and them.

We have let ourselves be misled into fracturing our country, and I am not sure WE can pull it back together.

:clap2:

Your right.... lets all join hands now. :tongue:

Seriously, though... I wish we could all get along, but that is'nt going to happen anytime soon I fear.

It can start here though.... will ya just join hands with me and sing koombayah? :lol:

We the people gets lost when we start looking at ourselves as a collective and not individuals. It's the individuals rights and responsibilities that are needed to ensure a strong nation.

We the People went out the window after 9/11 when Cheney and Bush Jr. said "if you're not with us, you're against us".

Combine that with the constant overblown hyperbole filled rhetoric that Obama's presidency has been besieged by, and you can see how the chasm got so big.

Can we fix it? Dunno. If I was to base judgment by what I see on these boards, then the answer is no.

United we stand divided we fall, and we are falling folks.
And by staying divided it ensures we will keep falling.

Gosh, and in another thread I was smacked around because Texas is so together.

You people who live in States that are not being governed properly need to get on the ball.

I agree with you uscitizen, but there will always be a place for serious debate in any great society.

Believe it or not... I would die for you, my fellow American.
I mean that.... all jokes aside brother.

We might fuss and fight here on USMB, but I believe that most every one of us here are patriotic Americans for carrying on such heated debate, and we must all stand together to ensure no-one ever takes that right away from us.

we went out for pizza and got mugged....

I'm not standing with morons and pigs. There is no future in morons and pigs.

*face meets palm*

Ugh, come the fuck on with this dumb blind idealism. The country's always been 'split' among millions of opinions, worldviews, what have ya ... Who the hell cares. Every generation asks the same questions, the answers might wary ...

I don't know, I'm feeling cynical to day I guess, but I don't see a point to this rubbish. Sawry. Hormones. Duh.

I agree with you uscitizen, but there will always be a place for serious debate in any great society.

We might fuss and fight here on USMB, but I believe that most every one of us here are patriotic Americans for carrying on such heated debate, and we must all stand together to ensure no-one ever takes that right away from us.

I know, but we are being used by forces that will profit by keeping us divided. For a variety of reasons.
And the "debate" has become more important than America to us.

don't look now but that's exactly what the morons would like to do. shut the right up.. talk radio, Fox News.. an unparalled hatred for freedom of speech.

*face meets palm*

Ugh, come the fuck on with this dumb blind idealism. The country's always been 'split' among millions of opinions, worldviews, what have ya ... Who the hell cares. Every generation asks the same questions, the answers might wary ...

I don't know, I'm feeling cynical to day I guess, but I don't see a point to this rubbish. Sawry. Hormones. Duh.

thflying-cat-fight.jpg

don't look now but that's exactly what the morons would like to do. shut the right up.. talk radio, Fox News.. an unparalled hatred for freedom of speech.

ahh you have hit on a major conundrum. Freedom of speech but spreading rhetoric that makes our problems worse not better. And making big money off of it.
Not just picking on Fox all the nets do it.

Please re read federalist #10.

We the people set up a set of institutions to deal with the reality we don't all walk in lockstep, we don't all agree, and we get pretty passionate about stuff.

The "We the people" part was a take that to the political theories of the time that said the social order was ordained by Gd.

It was not a dream from lotus land that all people would agree about all things all the time. Democratic society does not march in formation. Democratic society is a brownian motion simulator. Sometimes it looks crazy, but it works better than any alternative.

It does help if both sides keep things on a rational basis, and every disaster is not reflexively blamed on the other without or in the face of the evidence.
Emphasis mine.
Madison said:
By a faction, I understand a number of citizens, whether amounting to a majority or a minority of the whole, who are united and actuated by some common impulse of passion, or of interest, adversed to the rights of other citizens, or to the permanent and aggregate interests of the community.

There are two methods of curing the mischiefs of faction: the one, by removing its causes; the other, by controlling its effects.

There are again two methods of removing the causes of faction: the one, by destroying the liberty which is essential to its existence; the other, by giving to every citizen the same opinions, the same passions, and the same interests.

It could never be more truly said than of the first remedy, that it was worse than the disease. Liberty is to faction what air is to fire, an aliment without which it instantly expires. But it could not be less folly to abolish liberty, which is essential to political life, because it nourishes faction, than it would be to wish the annihilation of air, which is essential to animal life, because it imparts to fire its destructive agency.

The second expedient is as impracticable as the first would be unwise. As long as the reason of man continues fallible, and he is at liberty to exercise it, different opinions will be formed. As long as the connection subsists between his reason and his self-love, his opinions and his passions will have a reciprocal influence on each other; and the former will be objects to which the latter will attach themselves. The diversity in the faculties of men, from which the rights of property originate, is not less an insuperable obstacle to a uniformity of interests. The protection of these faculties is the first object of government. From the protection of different and unequal faculties of acquiring property, the possession of different degrees and kinds of property immediately results; and from the influence of these on the sentiments and views of the respective proprietors, ensues a division of the society into different interests and parties.

The latent causes of faction are thus sown in the nature of man; and we see them everywhere brought into different degrees of activity, according to the different circumstances of civil society. A zeal for different opinions concerning religion, concerning government, and many other points, as well of speculation as of practice; an attachment to different leaders ambitiously contending for pre-eminence and power; or to persons of other descriptions whose fortunes have been interesting to the human passions, have, in turn, divided mankind into parties, inflamed them with mutual animosity, and rendered them much more disposed to vex and oppress each other than to co-operate for their common good. So strong is this propensity of mankind to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions and excite their most violent conflicts. But the most common and durable source of factions has been the various and unequal distribution of property. Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society. Those who are creditors, and those who are debtors, fall under a like discrimination. A landed interest, a manufacturing interest, a mercantile interest, a moneyed interest, with many lesser interests, grow up of necessity in civilized nations, and divide them into different classes, actuated by different sentiments and views. The regulation of these various and interfering interests forms the principal task of modern legislation, and involves the spirit of party and faction in the necessary and ordinary operations of the government.

Last edited:

Yes, and the WE consists of those that have more money than some of us. THEY too are part of the WE and aren't obligated to take care of the rest of US.

Forum List

Back