WHERE are all the cries of judicial activism from the right?

But it's misread, and misused. since you have made the claim - repeatedly - please be kind enough to explain in detail where Santa Clara holds that corporations (or unions, etc.) are entitled to the privileges and immunities of citizenship under the 14th.
Not misread at all...It's merely an intended interpretation of the 14th Amendment. Corporate personhood

That decision dovetails with the passage of 16 Stat 419, in 1871, which created the corporation known as "District of Columbia".

Subsequently, under the auspices of statutory law, the feds became the be-all-end-all dispenser of "civil (as opposed to natural and/or God-given inherent) rights".

You keep on about the 14th, Santa Clara and the District of Columbia. Please explain first, where the 14th Amendment issues are decided in Santa Clara and second, where the incorporation of the District of Columbia (or any incorporated geographical or municipal unit, for that matter) creates citizenship rights under the 14th for corporations and unions in general. Finally, I'd love to see what one has to do with the other.
They weren't decided in the Santa Clara case....It was sneaked in by a clerk, as Yurt very nicely pointed out. I haven't said that there wasn't chicanery involved, just that this is how the decision has been (wrongly) interpreted and applied.

The interface between the use of the hijacking of Santa Clara, as it relates to the District of Columbia Corporation dispensing "civil" rights, appears obvious to me...How is it unclear to you?

Much ado about nothing. This was a Free Speech issue and apparently they ruled that Corporations are people too. I have to agree with them on this one. If Moveon.org and various other Liberal loons can spend $Millions on trashing Corporations,i see no reason why the Corporations shouldn't have the right to respond to such attacks. Corporations really are people too. It's true.

So all this means is that we go back to the times before the airwaves were deluged by ads from 501c's, 527's and other PACS. We've been there before and it's certainly not as if corporations had not already found ways to get around the unconstitutional provisions of McCain/Feingold. Maybe we can try campaign reform again and get it right this time.

Honestly, I hope you're right that they'll try again. McCain Feingold was a joke.

But I doubt they will. After all, the same people who make the laws are the ones benefitting from the current system. Why would they choke their own golden geese?

Once the politicians are all completely bought and paid for, the corporations aren't going to let them reform anything except what helps the corporations make more money.

There will be more money redistribution to the top 1% and the rest of us will get poorer.

Much ado about nothing. This was a Free Speech issue and apparently they ruled that Corporations are people too. I have to agree with them on this one. If Moveon.org and various other Liberal loons can spend $Millions on trashing Corporations,i see no reason why the Corporations shouldn't have the right to respond to such attacks. Corporations really are people too. It's true.

Corporations are people? Do they get sick? Do they die? Do they get married? Do they have kids?

Corporations are legal entities, pieces of paper, documents. They are not a person.

Money is not speech and corporations are not persons.

The only spin is pretending they are.

Well, Queen. I never said money was speech and I never called coproations persons.
So exactly why did you post that?

I posted it because the Supreme Court decision claims that money = speech and corporations = persons. And because you told him to stop spinning.

It's pretty easily understood. I hope this helps.

Then perhaps you should have read what he was responding to.

But why would you? You may learn something...so why would you?

Once the politicians are all completely bought and paid for,

What do you mean "once"? the vast majority of "the politicians" are ALREADY bought and paid for.

And now there is no doubt that they will all be.

There are some still who legislate according to what their constituents believe.

Those will be run out by new ones who legislate according to what their corporate bosses believe.

Not misread at all...It's merely an intended interpretation of the 14th Amendment. Corporate personhood

That decision dovetails with the passage of 16 Stat 419, in 1871, which created the corporation known as "District of Columbia".

Subsequently, under the auspices of statutory law, the feds became the be-all-end-all dispenser of "civil (as opposed to natural and/or God-given inherent) rights".

You keep on about the 14th, Santa Clara and the District of Columbia. Please explain first, where the 14th Amendment issues are decided in Santa Clara and second, where the incorporation of the District of Columbia (or any incorporated geographical or municipal unit, for that matter) creates citizenship rights under the 14th for corporations and unions in general. Finally, I'd love to see what one has to do with the other.
They weren't decided in the Santa Clara case....It was sneaked in by a clerk, as Yurt very nicely pointed out. I haven't said that there wasn't chicanery involved, just that this is how the decision has been (wrongly) interpreted and applied.

The interface between the use of the hijacking of Santa Clara, as it relates to the District of Columbia Corporation dispensing "civil" rights, appears obvious to me...How is it unclear to you?

One has to do with some semantic wrangling and an obscure statutory provision. The other is again statutory in nature, done to organize a political entity that is in effect (if you like the corporate terms) a wholly owned subsidiary of the Federal government.

I fail to see the 14th being decided in either situation.

Once the politicians are all completely bought and paid for,

What do you mean "once"? the vast majority of "the politicians" are ALREADY bought and paid for.

And now there is no doubt that they will all be.

There are some still who legislate according to what their constituents believe.

Those will be run out by new ones who legislate according to what their corporate bosses believe.

And they too will be run out.

I dont know...maybe the time has come for poeple to vote with their heads and not their emotions?

If yuo notice, you and many on here are blaming the politicians for their actions...not themselves for voting for those politicians.

This country was built on the premise of "self responsibility"..

Yet....

We blame the bank for lending money to someone who lies on the loan application...and the liar is the victim.

We blame comapnies that have consumers sign credit card applications without reading them and call those that dont read the victims.

We blame corporations that "bribe" politicians with donations but dont blame ourselves for re-electing those politicians....and call ourselves the victims.

WAKE UP. We can control things.......

We simply choose to blame everyone else.

Corporations employ and are run by people just like Unions have people as members. All people in America have the right to Free Speech. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't have the right to Free Speech. Free Speech is tricky that way. It applies to all people. I know some in this country hate that idea but it really is one of the main pillars our nation was founded on. The Corporations are made up of people therefore they have the right to speak out and support any candidate they choose. The Unions reserve this same right as well. As far as i'm concerned,this decision was the correct decision no matter how i feel personally about Corporations. Hey just my opinion anyway.

One has to do with some semantic wrangling and an obscure statutory provision. The other is again statutory in nature, done to organize a political entity that is in effect (if you like the corporate terms) a wholly owned subsidiary of the Federal government.

The semantic wrangling and parsing is at the center of the issue....That's the point. Try parsing the difference between "Must and/or Shall" and "are required", in legalese.

Your observation that the political organizations are (for all practical purposes) wholly owned subsidiaries of District of Columbia Corporation is on the mark.

Do YOU have the money and power to go up against insurance, big pharma and agribusiness? I take it you just LOVE high fructose corn syrup in every damn thing made and beef that is irradiated so that they can allow more shit in it. And you LOVE having health insurance that only 1-2% (if that) of the population could afford without employers matching. Or how much taxpayer money was stolen by American corporations during the Iraq war.

If you're right, why didn't we, the American people get a vote on this??? This is pretty important legislation, is it not?

Last edited:
There will be more money redistribution to the top 1% and the rest of us will get poorer.
I really feel sorry for you since you obviously have no idea how business works. You make it sound like these top 1% are out there making all this money doing nothing, completely by themselves. These big corporations have thousands of people working for them to sell a good or service that is needed and wanted, otherwise they wouldn't have anyone purchasing said good/service.

If you're so against big business, then please, by all means, don't shop at any place that has more than one store in it's name, do not eat at any restaurant chains and do not dare buy groceries from a chain either. If everyone in America did that, you'd find that Wal Mart just turns into a corporation as big as Wal Mart, just not called Wal Mart, because they need to be that big to serve their customers' demands.

But since you're so opposed to businesses having the right to spend their money as they please, riddle me this: are you opposed to them spending their money to employ you? Why shouldn't they be spending that money on something more worthy; like curbing global warming? I'm sure you would agree that your wage would be spent much more nobly on curbing global warming. Right now though, they're just spending that money on a few people. What's a few fat Americans out of work when you can save billions of earthlings from the inevitability of global warming turning our planet into a fireball?

You still have the right to not vote for any candidate who takes money from the "Evil Corporations." No one has taken that right away from you. Corporations are a fact of life in our World and it's time people just started accepting this reality. They have rights just like any other group has. Some may not like that but that's the way it is in America. This ruling actually helps the Unions as well. How many politicians are bought and paid for by the Unions? Just something else too ponder i guess.

Do YOU have the money and power to go up against insurance, big pharma and agribusiness? I take it you just LOVE high fructose corn syrup in every damn thing made and beef that is irradiated so that they can allow more shit in it. And you LOVE having health insurance that only 1-2% (if that) of the population could afford without employers matching. Or how much taxpayer money was stolen by Amreican corporations during the Iraq war.

If you're right, why didn't we, the American people get a vote on this??? This is pretty important legislation, is it not?

We get to vote for those that vote on it.

Maybe we should put a little thought into who we vote for?

Like Obama for example.....had nothing but a far left voting record....95% party line....5% "present"....yet he was the most popular candidate in recent history based on words only.
And then many who voted for him are complaining that they did not realize he was so far to the left.

Really? What made them think otherwise? The fact that he was young and hip and technologically saavy? Thats my guess.

As for the other stuff...stop regurgitating talking points. My son just secured insurance for hmself for $3700 a year. Great plan? Nope. Solid? Yep. Affordable? Very.
There are many "organic food" retailers in any city...so I can buy whatever food I want with whatever additives.

Sorry...I disagree with you 100%.

I believe in self responsibility.

And you know what? I live a very happy BLAME FREE life....

But when I look around me? Everyone looks miserable....looking to blame someone for the pimple on their face, or the tire around their waste, or the fact that they borrowed more than they can pay back.

It is getting pathetic.....but me and my family are happy.

Self responsibility...it is not the easiest way.....thats for sure...but the most rewarding.

The semantic wrangling and parsing is at the center of the issue....That's the point. Try parsing the difference between "Must and/or Shall" and "are required", in legalese.

Your observation that the political organizations are (for all practical purposes) wholly owned subsidiaries of District of Columbia Corporation is on the mark.

I guess I'm just too used to legalese to see the absurdity of it anymore. Score one for you!

But I was actually making the opposite point. The District of Columbia, an incorporated municipality just like the one I live in, is a wholly owned and controlled subsidiary of the Federal government - not the other way around. I'm not necessarily a fan of municipal incorporation, but it does have some organizational advantages.

Here's a basic lesson in the Constitution:

Making up new right by Judicial fiat instead of an Amdenment = Activism

Reading the Constitution and striking down a law that is unConstitutional =/= Activism, aka "Doing their job"

Forum List

Back