When Saudi Arabia is Overthrown What Will Be It's New Name?

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Apparently Saudi Arabia is ruled by King Saud therefore when he's ousted it will get a new name. I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know that little fact. :redface:

Anyway what will it be called?

Peoples Republic of Arabia?
Riyadhi Land?
Southern Iraq?
Oily Sand Box Land?
I Can't Believe It's Not Saudi Arabia?

What do you think?

Saudi Arabian King To Populace: 'Don't Even Think About It'

RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA—In a televised speech addressing the pro-democracy protests currently sweeping across the Middle East, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia reiterated that the people of his country should not even think about it. "Get it out of your heads right now," the king said in a firm, unwavering tone of voice while staring directly into the camera. "I'm serious. Whatever you are thinking about doing, it’s not gonna end up good for you. Trust me." The king then widened his eyes, paused, and added, "No."

Great article about Saudi Arabia from 2003...

Americans have long considered Saudi Arabia the one constant in the Arab Middle East—a source of cheap oil, political stability, and lucrative business relationships. But the country is run by an increasingly dysfunctional royal family that has been funding militant Islamic movements abroad in an attempt to protect itself from them at home. A former CIA operative argues, in an article drawn form his new book, Sleeping With the Devil, that today's Saudi Arabia can't last much longer—and the social and economic fallout of its demise could be calamitous ...

The Fall of the House of Saud - Magazine - The Atlantic

I personally know quite a few Saudi men and women.

They really love their country and consider it to be the best place in the world to live and raise a family.

Very low crime, good schools and public services, and a stable economy. :cool:

They really love their country and consider it to be the best place in the world to live and raise a family.

If these Saudis consider it the best place in the world what are they doing living in the US?:eusa_eh:

If these Saudis consider it the best place in the world what are they doing living in the US?
When I lived by a U.S. Navy base.

At the Mosque I got to a couple of dozen Saudi Air Force soldiers who were being trained to fly the F 18 Super Hornet.

Plus, I have known several who are attending various Universities and Medical Schools. :cool:

:uhoh3:

It's good to be the King....

The royal family hated being reminded that they had abandoned their Bedouin roots, but they hated still more that Abdullah was trying to cut back royal corruption and entitlements. Aping the senior members of the family, the lesser princes had fantastic financial expectations, and their stipends didn't suffice. The third-generation princes were getting only about $19,000 a month—a fraction of what they needed for the lifestyles they sought. To keep even a modest yacht on the French Riviera requires a million dollars a year. What were they supposed to do? In order to make ends meet they had been getting into nastier and nastier business, taking bribes from construction firms (mostly the bin Laden family's) seeking government contracts, getting involved in arms deals, expropriating property from commoners, and selling Saudi visas to guest workers. Another trick they'd discovered was borrowing money from private banks and simply refusing to pay it back. It wasn't as if the larger family could somehow discipline or shame them. There were so many princes that they didn't even all know one another.

Abdullah had made no secret of his intention to put an end to the thievery when he became king—and for a while it looked as if he might get his way even before becoming king. In the mid-1990s, as Saudi Arabia was facing increasingly dire financial difficulties, he persuaded King Fahd to appoint a handful of reformist ministers. Abdullah first had them zero in on expropriations. The practice had become so widespread among the lesser princes that it was completely alienating Saudi Arabia's traditional merchant class and fledgling middle class. A prince might walk into a restaurant, see that it was doing well, and write out a check to buy the place, usually well below market price. There was nothing the owner could do. He knew that if he resisted, he'd end up in jail on trumped-up charges.

The senior princes used their government positions to do the same thing, but on a much grander scale. One of them would pick out a valuable piece of property—maybe a particularly good location for a shopping mall or a new road—and then order a court to condemn it in the name of the state, which would clear the way for the king to award it to him. The money to be earned was staggering, and senior princes had started to rely on the practice to maintain their ever more bloated personal budgets. In Abdullah's view, however, crooked property deals and the like were only a small part of the problem. The off-budget deals were a much bigger part. In off-budget spending, revenue from oil sales goes directly to special accounts, bypassing the Saudi treasury altogether. The money is then used to pay for pet projects, from defense procurement to construction, with no government audits or accountability of any sort. Commissions and bribes are enormous.

If these Saudis consider it the best place in the world what are they doing living in the US?
When I lived by a U.S. Navy base.

At the Mosque I got to a couple of dozen Saudi Air Force soldiers who were being trained to fly the F 18 Super Hornet.

Plus, I have known several who are attending various Universities and Medical Schools. :cool:

When I was in tech school in Mississipi I also met a few Saudi officers who were in the US for training, keep in mind the Saudis that you have talked to have it good in their country. Like you said, these are high ranking Saudi officers who get to take visits to the US for training and Medical students in the US, these are not the typical everyday Saudis you meet on the ground in the Kingdom.

Before 'Saudi' Arabia was 'Saudi', some of the lands it now comprises were known as Najd, the Hijaz, Bahrain, and the Yaman. The latter two names now refer to separate nation-states that occupy a portion of their namesake regions.

The senior princes used their government positions to do the same thing, but on a much grander scale. One of them would pick out a valuable piece of property—maybe a particularly good location for a shopping mall or a new road—and then order a court to condemn it in the name of the state, which would clear the way for the king to award it to him. The money to be earned was staggering, and senior princes had started to rely on the practice to maintain their ever more bloated personal budgets. In Abdullah's view, however, crooked property deals and the like were only a small part of the problem. The off-budget deals were a much bigger part. In off-budget spending, revenue from oil sales goes directly to special accounts, bypassing the Saudi treasury altogether. The money is then used to pay for pet projects, from defense procurement to construction, with no government audits or accountability of any sort. Commissions and bribes are enormous.

So what's your point?

The Wall Street bankers screwed the American taxpayer out of hundreds of billions of dollars.

Plus the U.S. Government was complicit in the so called bail out and almost bankrupt our nation.

And crooks like Madeoff stole billions while the regulators looked the other way.

So should we really be pointing our fingers at any other country?? :cool:

When I was in tech school in Mississipi I also met a few Saudi officers who were in the US for training, keep in mind the Saudis that you have talked to have it good in their country. Like you said, these are high ranking Saudi officers who get to take visits to the US for training and Medical students in the US, these are not the typical everyday Saudis you meet on the ground in the Kingdom.

What the difference between our two countries?

Both have Officers who live well and are patriotic towards their nation.

And, the United States has an impoverished area in every major city called the Hood. :cool:

Last edited:

What the difference between our two countries?

Both have Officers who live well and are patriot towards their nation.

And, the United States has an impoverished area in every major city called the Hood. :cool:

Officers in the US can come from any background, rich or poor. There are officers in the US Military from the barrios of El Paso and from the streets of Compton. In Saudi Arabia Shites are not allowed to be officers, only Sunnis can get the top ranking posts in the Military.

Officers in the US can come from any background, rich or poor. There are officers in the US Military from the barrios of El Paso and from the streets of Compton. In Saudi Arabia Shites are not allowed to be officers, only Sunnis can get the top ranking posts in the Military.
Saudi Officers can also come from any back economic ground.

I have even meet a few that were from poor bedouin families.

Not allowing Shiites to be Officers is for security considerations. :cool:

Saudi Officers can also come from any back economic ground.

I have even meet a few that were from poor bedouin families.

Not allowing Shiites to be Officers is for security considerations. :cool:

Not letting Shites become officers just builds resentment, Shites are also not allowed in several government jobs and posts.

There is no reason for a new name.
And it is not the outsiders who have the authority to decide upon such kind of questions.

Forum List

Back