When I started becoming an agnostic.

So you found another thread where you aren't going to answer the question, guy?

Anyway. You can look it up. Her name was Sister Mary Bonaventure and she taught at St. Symphorosa school in Chicago in the 1970's.... Not sure how detailed the Catholic Church's records are, but she was a real person.

("Sister Mary Butch" is a mock name I made up for nuns in general because they were all lesbians.)

You stole the name and the story. To much in common.

Nope. RomanLion was the name I used on TownHall before they figured out how to ban people who weren't as right wing crazy as they were.

Other names I used were
Careful with that Axe Eugene
White Salamander (to piss off the MOrmons)
and Ironically enough "JoeB131"

The only thing that's kind of changed is that I was more center left then, now I'm a little more center right, but that's largely because Obama has been such a bag of fail.

Here's where he got it from: Obamatizing the Church - Page 1 - Janice Shaw Crouse - Townhall Conservative

Scroll down and you can find it in the comments, without that stupid homophobic stupidity.

Actually, RomanLion was one of the screen names I used on TownHall... You can even see the writing style is similar...
fyi, if you aren't plagiarizing, you are spamming and that is also against USMB rules.

:lol:

NO, I'm not spamming because I've only told this story in a whole TWO THREADS. One of them a thread on "religion".

Not sure what your issue is here, anyway.

Come on, if you grew up Catholic, you knew what these nuns were. NOthing wrong with being gay. The problem was, these women were essentially put in a religious order and told to hate themselves. And then they were put around children that they could never have.

Which is why so many Catholic and Ex-Catholics of my age group have so many nun horror stories.

Anyway. You can look it up. Her name was Sister Mary Bonaventure and she taught at St. Symphorosa school in Chicago in the 1970's.... Not sure how detailed the Catholic Church's records are, but she was a real person.

("Sister Mary Butch" is a mock name I made up for nuns in general because they were all lesbians.)

Nope. RomanLion was the name I used on TownHall before they figured out how to ban people who weren't as right wing crazy as they were.

Other names I used were

The only thing that's kind of changed is that I was more center left then, now I'm a little more center right, but that's largely because Obama has been such a bag of fail.

The names and stories are from Vic Donlop, and the movie Thunder on the hill . Hack.

Actually, RomanLion was one of the screen names I used on TownHall... You can even see the writing style is similar...
fyi, if you aren't plagiarizing, you are spamming and that is also against USMB rules.

NO, I'm not spamming because I've only told this story in a whole TWO THREADS. One of them a thread on "religion".

Come on, if you grew up Catholic, you knew what these nuns were. NOthing wrong with being gay. The problem was, these women were essentially put in a religious order and told to hate themselves. And then they were put around children that they could never have.

Which is why so many Catholic and Ex-Catholics of my age group have so many nun horror stories.

And in both cases you stole the characters.

Maybe so but your story is-:bsflag:

My issue is that you are a bigoted troll. You're bigoted against Catholics and you're bigoted against lesbians.

If you were not a troll, you would not have posted your op in such a bigoted manner.

My issue is that you are a bigoted troll. You're bigoted against Catholics and you're bigoted against lesbians.

If you were not a troll, you would not have posted your op in such a bigoted manner.

Uh, no.

First, many of my good friends are lesbians.

Second, most of my relatives are still practicing Catholics.

What I was criticizing, if you weren't being hyper-emotional, is a messed up religion that tells a young girl that the best thing she could do if she finds herself attracted to other women is to live this celibate lifestyle in a building with other women of the same persuasion, and then that if you EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, you have committed a greivous sin.

Seriously, I couldn't think of a better way to produce some seriously sociopathic individuals. The kind that would say it was okay to drown wicked babies, and hit children with big wooden rulers.

Uh, no.

What I was criticizing, if you weren't being hyper-emotional, is a messed up religion that tells a young girl that the best thing she could do if she finds herself attracted to other women is to live this celibate lifestyle in a building with other women of the same persuasion, and then that if you EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, you have committed a greivous sin.

Seriously, I couldn't think of a better way to produce some seriously sociopathic individuals. The kind that would say it was okay to drown wicked babies, and hit children with big wooden rulers.

Uh, no.

:lol: Now you are just making things up. And lying. Your OP was certainly bigoted.

:lol: Now you are just making things up. And lying. Your OP was certainly bigoted.

I think you need to resolve your problems with other people other than taking your frustrations out on me.

I told what I thought was an amusing story from my childhood. At least, amusing to me. Now, mind you, when I was 11 I didn't even know what a lesbian was, but I knew there was something off about these women compared to my mom and every other kid's mom.

Now, if my only goal was slander the Church, heck, I'd make up stories about being molested by priests. I mean, that wouldn't have been a stretch, lots of stories about that happening.

My point was, that I guess you can't address, either, is that the story in Genesis 6 is pretty screwed up in the context of the God Christians want to believe in. People have disappointed him, and his solution is to kill them all. Even the babies. And the Puppies. And the Kitties..

Heck, people disappoint me all the time. Killing them usually doesn't show up on my options list.

So God is either inept by making such flawed creatures that required such a radical solution, or he was unnecessarily cruel that his go to option was to drown babies...

Now as messed up as Sister Mary B.'s interpretation was, at least she had one. She didn't even take a ruler to me, which was her usual go-to solution. Compare that to guys like Samson who need to attack the person actually asking the question.

Because they don't have one. It's a huge contradiction in their faith.

Other names I used were

is this you as well-

mwood611
8/29/2006 6:30 PM

Sister Mary Butch Biker Nun from Hell

Tongue out I went to Catholic schools for 10 years, but managed to escape when I was 16. I started in 1961. I had Sister Mary Butch, Biker Nun from Hell (not her real name) in 8th Grade. Her M.O. was intimidation, and one April, she got mad at me for not knowing some inane answer to a question. She proceeded to pull my ears, and pull the pierced earings through one of my ears, then lied about it ! I would say she gets the Guinness Book of World Records award for worse teacher living. As an aside, I have refused to send my children to Catholic school, or set foot inside a church !

Biker nun from hell ? Vic Dunlop told the same story.

I think you need to resolve your problems with other people other than taking your frustrations out on me.

I told what I thought was an amusing story from my childhood. At least, amusing to me. Now, mind you, when I was 11 I didn't even know what a lesbian was, but I knew there was something off about these women compared to my mom and every other kid's mom.

Now, if my only goal was slander the Church, heck, I'd make up stories about being molested by priests. I mean, that wouldn't have been a stretch, lots of stories about that happening.

My point was, that I guess you can't address, either, is that the story in Genesis 6 is pretty screwed up in the context of the God Christians want to believe in. People have disappointed him, and his solution is to kill them all. Even the babies. And the Puppies. And the Kitties..

Heck, people disappoint me all the time. Killing them usually doesn't show up on my options list.

So God is either inept by making such flawed creatures that required such a radical solution, or he was unnecessarily cruel that his go to option was to drown babies...

Now as messed up as Sister Mary B.'s interpretation was, at least she had one. She didn't even take a ruler to me, which was her usual go-to solution. Compare that to guys like Samson who need to attack the person actually asking the question.

Thats your MO. No one will address your point blah, blah. ravi will address your point,trust me. I wont like what Ravi will say, I agree with Ravi on just about nothing, but Ravi wont create a fantasy life to make it believable. Ravi is honest at least. At least as far as I know she has not done that. So go on, say it. I wont answer the question, blah, blah, .

[is this you as well-

mwood611

Tongue out I went to Catholic schools for 10 years, but managed to escape when I was 16. I started in 1961. I had Sister Mary Butch, Biker Nun from Hell (not her real name) in 8th Grade. Her M.O. was intimidation, and one April, she got mad at me for not knowing some inane answer to a question. She proceeded to pull my ears, and pull the pierced earings through one of my ears, then lied about it ! I would say she gets the Guinness Book of World Records award for worse teacher living. As an aside, I have refused to send my children to Catholic school, or set foot inside a church !

Uh, I didn't call Sr. Mary B. a "Biker Nun" or said anything about earrings.

In fact, the ONLY similarity I see is the use of "Sister Mary Butch", which isn't really all that creative, actually.

Because they all were a little "butch".

And not surprisingly, now that it has become acceptable to be gay (or at least more than it was 40 years ago when I went to Catholic School in Chicago) the number of nuns has declined dramatically. (As have all Catholic Clergy, actually.)

Sisters. 180,000 sisters were the backbone of the Catholic education and health systems in 1965. In 2002, there were 75,000 sisters, with an average age of 68. By 2020, the number of sisters will drop to 40,000--and of these, only 21,000 will be aged 70 or under. In 1965, 104,000 sisters were teaching, while in 2002 there were only 8,200 teachers.

DEVASTATING DECLINE: Catholic nuns and monks decline worldwide

I think there are other factors as well in the decline of Nuns. The obvious one being that since women can't be priests, they will be second class clergy - always.

So give up sex for life, be taught to hate yourself, and always be a second class professional.

Yeah, I can see them lining up around the block for that one.

[is this you as well-

mwood611

Uh, I didn't call Sr. Mary B. a "Biker Nun" or said anything about earrings.

In fact, the ONLY similarity I see is the use of "Sister Mary Butch", which isn't really all that creative, actually.

Because they all were a little "butch".

And not surprisingly, now that it has become acceptable to be gay (or at least more than it was 40 years ago when I went to Catholic School in Chicago) the number of nuns has declined dramatically. (As have all Catholic Clergy, actually.)

Sisters. 180,000 sisters were the backbone of the Catholic education and health systems in 1965. In 2002, there were 75,000 sisters, with an average age of 68. By 2020, the number of sisters will drop to 40,000--and of these, only 21,000 will be aged 70 or under. In 1965, 104,000 sisters were teaching, while in 2002 there were only 8,200 teachers.

DEVASTATING DECLINE: Catholic nuns and monks decline worldwide

I think there are other factors as well in the decline of Nuns. The obvious one being that since women can't be priests, they will be second class clergy - always.

So give up sex for life, be taught to hate yourself, and always be a second class professional.

Yeah, I can see them lining up around the block for that one.

Your shit isn't even original. At least you stole it from dead guys.

I tell you what. Why don't you start your thread over without demonizing Catholics or lesbians but keeping your central question. Which I assume is, how could God kill children?

I tell you what. Why don't you start your thread over without demonizing Catholics or lesbians but keeping your central question. Which I assume is, how could God kill children?

This is a different way of saying "If there is a God, how come there are so much pain and suffering in the world?" But why do we assume that mankind is inherently good? One could also ask "If there is no God, why is there so much love and kindness in the world?" One does not necessarily presuppose the other.

I do think that Joe makes good points. The OT is ridiculous at times, and many Christians selectively pull out whatever is convenient to promote their own interpretation of morality while ignoring other stuff.

Thats your MO. No one will address your point blah, blah. ravi will address your point,trust me. I wont like what Ravi will say, I agree with Ravi on just about nothing, but Ravi wont create a fantasy life to make it believable. Ravi is honest at least. At least as far as I know she has not done that. So go on, say it. I wont answer the question, blah, blah, .

Guy, if the question has a sensible answer, why haven't you provided it in the last two days I've been asking you - NICELY - for it.

Because you know on some level that there is no good answer for the question.

Now for me, the answer is simple. The story is a myth. People made it up to explain stuff they didn't understand. They didn't have science, and every calamity was attributable to an angry God.

The ironic thing was when I got to High School, the Christian Brothers (who had the job of undoing the damage the nuns did before they lost these kids to adulthood and other religions) pretty much backed off the whole story. They said that the flood was probably local and it was an attempt to explain away an oral tradition. (There is evidence for a large regional flood around the area of the Black Sea, and the tradition appears in Babylonian and Greek Mythology as well.) They tried to downplay the whole "God as an angry jerk" aspect of it.

To me, the whole story is implausible.

First, four men building a boat large enough to house thousands of animals with Bronze Age technology is fairly improbable. Not to mention you'd have to have enough food for the animals to eat, including the predators. Then all the fish would die because either salt water from the oceans would get into the fresh water OR the saline levels of the oceans would drop killing those fish.

If the water got high enough to cover every mountain, the air would be too thin for anyone to breathe.

To top it all off, with all animals descending from common ancestors, you'd have the serious problem of inbreeding. Not that it would matter, the minute they got off the boat, all the plants would have drowned, and there wouldn't have been anything for them to eat.

Guy, if the question has a sensible answer, why haven't you provided it in the last two days I've been asking you - NICELY - for it.

Because you know on some level that there is no good answer for the question.

Now for me, the answer is simple. The story is a myth. People made it up to explain stuff they didn't understand. They didn't have science, and every calamity was attributable to an angry God.

The ironic thing was when I got to High School, the Christian Brothers (who had the job of undoing the damage the nuns did before they lost these kids to adulthood and other religions) pretty much backed off the whole story. They said that the flood was probably local and it was an attempt to explain away an oral tradition. (There is evidence for a large regional flood around the area of the Black Sea, and the tradition appears in Babylonian and Greek Mythology as well.) They tried to downplay the whole "God as an angry jerk" aspect of it.

To me, the whole story is implausible.

First, four men building a boat large enough to house thousands of animals with Bronze Age technology is fairly improbable. Not to mention you'd have to have enough food for the animals to eat, including the predators. Then all the fish would die because either salt water from the oceans would get into the fresh water OR the saline levels of the oceans would drop killing those fish.

If the water got high enough to cover every mountain, the air would be too thin for anyone to breathe.

To top it all off, with all animals descending from common ancestors, you'd have the serious problem of inbreeding. Not that it would matter, the minute they got off the boat, all the plants would have drowned, and there wouldn't have been anything for them to eat.

Guy, its the same thing over and over for you. You are a fake. All your arguments are the same in every thread you do it in. The only difference is the google foo. And nice ? What would not nice be you fake ?

Forum List

Back