When I started becoming an agnostic.

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JoeB131, Aug 7, 2011.

1. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,082
    When I was a kid going to Catholic School in Chicago, we had this nasty old nun named Sister Mary Bonaventure. She must have been about 80 years old. Really, mean personality, the kids were terrified of her. Which is probably what happens when you are a frustrated lesbian living in a Convent for 60 years with other frustrated lesbians and not being able to touch the goodies.

Anyway, Sister Bonaventure was telling us all about Noah's Flood one day. And she said, "And God saw that people were WICKED! And he told Noah to build an Ark, and put the animals aboard, and he sent the rains to drown everyone because they were WICKED."

And being the soft-hearted kind of kid I was back then, I asked, "But why did God drown the babies?"

"They were WIIIIIIICKED Babies! WIIIIIIIICKED!!!"

Well, not surprisingly, when it became kind of hip to be a lesbian, enrollments in these holy orders dropped faster than Obama's approval rating, but it did get a few wheels rolling in my head.

Why would any God who drowned babies be considered "Good"? Why would God drown people for being the way he made them? Reading the original scripture didn't help clarify the matter. (They didn't let you at the original scripture until High School, usually.) It went on about angels having sex with women and creating giants, which was even more confusing, really.

I've discussed this matter over the years with Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Evangelicals, and frankly, as idiotic as Sister B.'s explanation was, their explanations were equally stupid.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Truthseeker420

Truthseeker420 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    You just don't understand God.

3. Lokiate

Lokiate Super Beast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yahweh isn't a nice guy.

4. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Not that it is relevant, but for me it was as a young child in my parents church on any Sunday night when "testimony" was asked for and given. Someone would testify about their experience of being "saved" and soon someone would be filled with the holy "spirit" and sometimes, rolling on the floor, they would "speak in tongues."

To me, besides being scary because of the obvious lack of self control, it always sounded contrived, made up, not a real language at all. Then some other person would "interpret" what had just been said by the person filled with the holy spirit.

As to your confusion, it's mythology, and the meaning of the myth has been lost through the ages. But all myths have some basis of truth or fact if you can discover it.

5. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Another ex-catholic who came to their senses.

6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,082
    I'm not sure I understand "God", but I do understand Yahweh pretty well.

Yahweh is the imaginary explanation for all the bad stuff that happened to Bronze Age savages called Hebrews, who didn't know what an atom was, or what a germ was or where the sun went at night. So they got hit by a flood. Yahweh must be mad at us. Let's go stone some "Sinners". A disease started. Yahweh must be mad, let's go slaughter some animals needlessly. An enemy is attacking us. Let's go kill some non-believers in his glory.

The problem with the flood story, is that it isn't unique. Yahweh kills babies all throughout the bible.

7. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Is this accurate? Did Yahweh kill babies, or did Pharoah and others kill babies? Weren't the Hebrews simply attempting to explain events? I find it hard to blame Yahweh for things done by people of power.

8. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    JoeB,
    So are you one of those people that blame God for killing all those people from the tsunami a few years back?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,205
    Why don't you ask Him?

10. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164