When do some people stop learning, and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AllieBaba, Jun 25, 2011.

1. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Gadawg stopped learning shortly after potty training. As far as I can see, he not willing or possibly capable of learning.

So my question is this..why do some people just stop learning? Do they think they already know all there is to know? When they are exposed as idiots, they seem to not understand it, and not accept it.

Now I don't know about you, but when someone proves me wrong (it has happened. I know, hard to believe, but nobody, not even me, can maintain such high function 24/7..and everybody has gaps in their knowledge), I LEARN from that.

Not only that, but if someone corrects me, and the correction is legit (I find out because I LOOK IT UP) I don't then make more of a idiot of myself by continuing to use my faulty argument as if it has some worth. If I did that, why on earth would anyone take anything I say seriously? And why would I want to advocate for a point that has either been disproved, or just makes me look stupid?

So why do people do that? Are they just stupid? Are they incapable of learning? Or do they think the fact that the stupidity is emanating from THEM makes it worthwhile in and of itself, despite the fact that it's not true? "I know I'm talking bullshit, but because it's MY bullshit, it doesn't matter that it's untrue as I've been shown a thousand times. My own spectacular self will blind everyone to reality...I AM A GOD".

This is a phenomenon I see over and over when dealing with progressives (and incidentally, Christian haters). They think they are so incredible that they can't be bothered with facts, with truth, or with knowledge, period. They know they're right because they are, after all, themselves. They believe their dumb assertions are infused with some sort of fairy dust, generated by their own specialness.

And because they believe that, they refuse to move forward in their knowledge and understanding. They wallow in ignorance, and they call it enlightenment. It freaks me out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    A great example of arrogant refusal to recognize facts...

Sigourney Weaver's character in Working Girl (a great flick, btw. I recommend that every American woman watch it at some point)....Harrison Ford's character, Jack Traynor, has been trying to break up with her for ages. But she is convinced he's going to ask her to marry him! She ignores all the very obvious hints and evidence, and continues blithely along, fully expecting him to marry her right to the end. She doesn't bother to consider she might be WRONG in her assumptions...

3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,752
    When do some people stop learning, and why?

They become Republicans.

4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,752
    The ironic part of your thread, Allie, is that you yourself are convinced that everyone that disagrees with you is a liberal or a progressive.

Gadawg is neither.

Learn.

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I stopped learning when I learned to walk up right and quit dragging my knuckles.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Idealism coupled with an inability to admit your wrong is stronger than the desire to learn for most people.
    One person here in particular I wish would think more for himself, who obviously has the capacity to be a good thinker...but instead spends 99% of his time here pointing fingers at the other side - so instead of being a well respected member here - he is just another rock thrower.

7. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Here I thought movies were a fictional presentation in which the audience saw life through a slightly different window, a vicarious experience in which one lives and sees the world - without the mess. Allie, you may want to give Sigourney Weaver a call or email, and ask why she continues to do something you see as a mistake. Maybe next time Sigourney will listen. Maybe she'll learn.

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I know what gadawg is, I've had him mapped for a long time. Primarily, he's a low functioning, borderline personality disorder yahoo who has an overstuffed opinion of himself, his accomplishments, and his ability. What his politics are..who cares, and really, who can tell? He's all over the place. Primarily, he fits into the same category that most of our far, far, far, far left people do. Fascist.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    hahahahaha

I know, what a ridiculous reference but I watched Working Girl the other day and I just LOVE that movie!

I'm thinking about watching it again. I worked my butt off today, I can kick back for a couple of hours!!

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Maybe I'll watch alien or Galaxy Quest instead! Love those movies, too!