Asteroid to Pass Extremely Close By Earth On Monday

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
The asteroid will make its closest approach at 1:14 p.m. EDT (1714 GMT) on June 27 and will pass just over 7,500 miles (12,000 kilometers) above the Earth's surface, NASA officials say. At that particular moment, the asteroid — which scientists have named 2011 MD — will be sailing high off the coast of Antarctica, almost 2,000 miles (3,218 km) south-southwest of South Africa.

Asteroid to Pass Extremely Close By Earth On Monday - Yahoo! News

do you think the government or science people would really tell us if the earth was gonna take a direct hit by an asteroid the size of a school bus? what would be left?

There is no way they would willingly inform the public. But if they knew it was going to hit I seriously doubt someone would not leak it out.

what if its iffy jeremy.....like maybe.....just close....maybe gonna nic us....think of it..what good would it do to tell people......and what would be left after impact

The asteroid will make its closest approach at 1:14 p.m. EDT (1714 GMT) on June 27 and will pass just over 7,500 miles (12,000 kilometers) above the Earth's surface, NASA officials say. At that particular moment, the asteroid — which scientists have named 2011 MD — will be sailing high off the coast of Antarctica, almost 2,000 miles (3,218 km) south-southwest of South Africa.

Asteroid to Pass Extremely Close By Earth On Monday - Yahoo! News

do you think the government or science people would really tell us if the earth was gonna take a direct hit by an asteroid the size of a school bus? what would be left?

it would get out, in fact if the government knew about it far enough in advance, they would definitely let it out, as they would be the only ones able to stop/deflect it. What government of any party would not want to look the hero in that situation? It would validate every argument for government involvment in space, and its ability to defend its people.

Also an asteriod the size of a school bus (say 10 meter diameter) wouldnt do much. See below.

Calculated Results

I assumed average impact velocity and dense rock for velocity. The asteroid would break up, but smaller fragments might hit. You wouldnt want to be within a few miles of it, thats for sure, but no gobal or even local catastrophe.

If people knew a Asteroid was going to hit Earth, people would start doing some crazy shit.

There is no way they would willingly inform the public. But if they knew it was going to hit I seriously doubt someone would not leak it out.

I think a hobbyist would see it coming. And all the world governments would be moving stuff all around to save there ass's. they couldn't keep it secret.

If people knew a Asteroid was going to hit Earth, people would start doing some crazy shit.

But then, people are already doing crazy ass shit.
In my area, I'm here to tell ya, if something like this were gonna happen, they would be popping open cans of beer and sitting on their lawn chairs outside, and just watching the damn sky :lol:
They wouldn't really give a shit.

But then, people are already doing crazy ass shit.
In my area, I'm here to tell ya, if something like this were gonna happen, they would be popping open cans of beer and sitting on their lawn chairs outside, and just watching the damn sky :lol:
They wouldn't really give a shit.

hey dabs...

why do tennessee couples only do it doggie style?

so they can both watch nascar

START doing some crazy shit?

LMAO!

Hey, you read my mind, or read my post, cause I was thinking the same...people have been doing crazy shit for years now! :lol:

Yep doing crazy shit is pretty much what got us into our current finiancial mess.

Hey lets borrow against our equity so we can buy a 50K SUV we don't need. It will be cool!

ooooo us you sound like my man....i told him i wanted a lexus.....he was amused

I saw the new Lexus, they are purty.
My son had a Lexus, about 3 years ago, very pretty emerald green and he loved that car.
Sadly tho, he took a curve about 65 to 70 mph, and ended up smashing into a huge tree, head-on.
The Lexus was totally demolished....I took pictures of it, and when I happen to come across those pics to this day, I cringe and my tummy feels sick.....the paramedics and police told me it was a miracle my son lived.

due to the dogs and cats he objects to anything with leather.....i looked at a leather recliner ....for my b'day.....he kept making clawing motions when everyones back was turned...i am gonna redo the living room and its not gonna be 2nd hand stuff.....i dont care if the cats are hell on it....

funny-pictures-cats-scratch-your-le.jpg

Wonder if there are aliens hiding behind it that are going to take us up into the space ship like that religious cult guy said when he wanted everybody in his group to commit suicide? Maybe he was right but just a little off in his timing.

Forum List

Back