When did the party of Lincoln become the states rights party?

I think it was some time after the party of Jefferson became the party of social engineering and free shit for favored constituencies at the expense of everyone else.
My personal guess is the switch occurred during the New Deal when the elected portion of the fracturing Democratic party embraced the power of Washington over the states.

Republicans were in favor of Civil Rights leglislation in the 60's though.....although a strong war declaring President seems consistent with their views since the 80's.

HELP! Point me to some reading please.

Well I think you need to look at the time around Grover Cleveland and William McKinley. There was a large segment of the Democratic Party, known as Bourbon Democrats, who were still on board with Cleveland's ideas of the gold standard and non-interventionism. Then the Democratic Party nominated William Jennings Bryan, and many Bourbon Democrats supported McKinley based on his support for the gold standard alone. After that progressivism took over the Democratic Party with Woodrow Wilson, and many former Bourbon Democrats joined the Republican Party and became known as the "Old Right," where they espoused noninterventionism, sound money, and states rights. It was really just a blip in the history of the Republican Party, however, and died out fairly quickly.

Today the Republican Party does not espouse states rights.
IOW, I pretty much called it.

I think it was some time after the party of Jefferson became the party of social engineering and free shit for favored constituencies at the expense of everyone else.
My personal guess is the switch occurred during the New Deal when the elected portion of the fracturing Democratic party embraced the power of Washington over the states.

Republicans were in favor of Civil Rights leglislation in the 60's though.....although a strong war declaring President seems consistent with their views since the 80's.

Well I think you need to look at the time around Grover Cleveland and William McKinley. There was a large segment of the Democratic Party, known as Bourbon Democrats, who were still on board with Cleveland's ideas of the gold standard and non-interventionism. Then the Democratic Party nominated William Jennings Bryan, and many Bourbon Democrats supported McKinley based on his support for the gold standard alone. After that progressivism took over the Democratic Party with Woodrow Wilson, and many former Bourbon Democrats joined the Republican Party and became known as the "Old Right," where they espoused noninterventionism, sound money, and states rights. It was really just a blip in the history of the Republican Party, however, and died out fairly quickly.

IOW, I pretty much called it.

I admire your brevity. :D

Simple, they always were major proponents to states rights and evolved even further down the road when Teddy Roosevelt and Wilson along with their progressive agenda's started consolidating and centralizing power within the federal government. FDR was the final nail in the coffin that sealed the deal.

Simple, they always were major proponents to states rights and evolved even further down the road when Teddy Roosevelt and Wilson along with their progressive agenda's started consolidating and centralizing power within the federal government. FDR was the final nail in the coffin that sealed the deal.

I can't think of a single Republican President who showed any respect for states rights.

States rights is a political goal, and is usually connected to the party that has been out of power for a period of time. Originally the conservatives who controlled the government were against states rights and the conservative Marshall court pretty much killed off a number of states rights for good. But the last more or less permanent change came with FDR and the New Deal. The liberals instituted a number of social and enconomic government to help people all at the expense of states rights.
That could change with time if conservatives gained control for a period of time; the liberals would then begin making state-rights noises. State rights is a political goal for the party out of power over a period of time, and is not a political ideology. Though it seems like one at times.

Patriot act? DOMA? Medicare Part-D?

Give me a break. The only time they talk state rights is when they want to cut a program that helps average Americans and then say, "Ah hell; let the states pay for that."

Doma was signed into law by a Democrat.

Patriot act is a federal issue as is medicare.

How many Rep voted no to DOMA (Rep-authored) or Patriot Act (Rep authored) or Medicare Part D (Rep sponsored)? And why, if they're so keen on 10A cannot any state bid on presscription drugs, thanks to MC-D?

Hmmm?

Republicans are not full of shit because they are shit. Fact, not opinion.

If it is a fact then it shoul dbe easy for you to prove.

I'll be waiting.

I disagree, the Republican party has always been a staunch defender of the 10th Amendment.

Examples?

Rallying for States’ Rights, G.O.P. Legislators Tell Washington to Go Away

Republican House speaker creates commission to focus on ‘states rights’

Former U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement will be making a states’ right argument that is by far the most ambitious line of attack presented by the challengers to Obamacare

I cannot say for certain, but I recall that STATES' RIGHTS became the rallying cry for folks like George Wallace back when he was fighting against school segregation.

That was in the early 60s or so, wasn't it?

That was my first experience seeing this political philosophy used by regular folks who were interested in the civil rights struggle.

All within the last year or two. If they've "always" been staunch defenders of the 10th Amendment I'm curious how much time they spent arguing about states rights during the Bush Administration, for example.

Doma was signed into law by a Democrat.

Patriot act is a federal issue as is medicare.

How many Rep voted no to DOMA (Rep-authored) or Patriot Act (Rep authored) or Medicare Part D (Rep sponsored)? And why, if they're so keen on 10A cannot any state bid on presscription drugs, thanks to MC-D?

Hmmm?

I'll be waiting.

Wait no more. Here's the short list of stool samples the GOP put in charge of the task of blocking anything good for America, for fear it might weigh favorably on the President:

Mitch+Mcconnell+06-28-11.jpg

6c60d_nm_john_boehner_smoking_110131_ll_ms.jpg

monitorbreakfast-kevin-mccarthy-20110308_full_600.jpg

All indistinguishable from this ...

524900480_f97cfb4eb4_o.gif

Fact, not opinion nor conjecture ... I could prove it to you on an Etch A Sketch (as Bill Hicks would have said, and said.)

Hmmm?

I'll be waiting.

Wait no more. Here's the short list of stool samples the GOP put in charge of the task of blocking anything good for America, for fear it might weigh favorably on the President:

Fact, not opinion nor conjecture ... I could prove it to you on an Etch A Sketch (as Bill Hicks would have said, and said.)

I'm still waiting on that evidence. If this was meant to be it. Then you failed miserably.

I'll be waiting.

I'm still waiting on that evidence. If this was meant to be it. Then you failed miserably.

You're too good for me pal, even if a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to irony.

Uncle!!! Hahahahahahaha.

I disagree, the Republican party has always been a staunch defender of the 10th Amendment.

Which Republican party? The conservatives in government particulary in the Supreme Court pretty much killed off states-rights with Marbury.

Not John Ashcroft either. Lord forbid your state votes for something constitutional when he has the power to inflict his religious views on you.

Oops, I said Lord, here comes Ashcroft.

Forum List

Back