What's your opinion of hip protectors?

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
I know someone who broke his hip.

He is now wearing hip protectors underneath his clothes.

They are fairly thin, so they do not make his clothes too bulky-looking.

He is wondering, however, if he should continue to wear them.

(Reports from nursing homes indicate that many older people simply refuse to wear their hip protectors.)

Does anyone have any opinions -- positive or negative -- about hip protectors?

Thank you

no idea what they are . Are they a device to be used after the 'hip' has been repaired or what Parser ??

took a quick little look , looks to me that they are just a PAD inserted in some underwear like athletic shorts . Sure , makes sense to me but i don't think that i'd want to bother Parser .

Thank you for your note, Pismoe.

Yes, after the operation (in which an artificial hip is put in), some (a few?) people buy a hip protector to wear.

It is essentially something like a pair of underpants with two pads on each side. If the person falls, the pads should afford some cushion so that the person does not break his/her hip.

I have also just read that someone in (France?) has invented a belt that will inflate like an automobile tire if the wearer falls to the floor. So far, it is not available in the States. Furthermore, it presently costs $800! And it is such a thick belt that many people would feel self-conscious wearing it.

No doubt some day a scientist will design a slim-looking belt that one could wear without drawing attention to him-, herself.

And maybe some day those hip protector pads will be so slim that they will not produce a bulk in one's clothing.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
I know someone who broke his hip.

He is now wearing hip protectors underneath his clothes.

They are fairly thin, so they do not make his clothes too bulky-looking.

He is wondering, however, if he should continue to wear them.

(Reports from nursing homes indicate that many older people simply refuse to wear their hip protectors.)

Does anyone have any opinions -- positive or negative -- about hip protectors?

Thank you
The hip protectors help protect you from getting a hip pointer injury. The iliac crest is very sensitive. That is why healthy NFL players wear them. A hip pointer injury could sideline them for weeks.

For elderly folks with osteoporosis, it could sideline them permanently.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back