What's Your Definition Of A RINO?

I think I made my edit after you read the post.
I still contend that they were pissed at him for not bowing down and supporting Lamont like the good little Democrat he was supposed to be.
Everyone WAS pissed about that, particularly the CT Democratic Party, and in my opinion, rightfully so.

He's still registered as a Democrat, but an interesting bit of CT election law says that you don't have to be a member of the party that you run under. It's an odd state. NY has a similar law.

It's not particularly off, just a little.

Immie

PS and thank you, for being willing to disagree with me, and correct me as you saw fit without being a jerk about it.

I apologize for jumping into a conversation with an aside (I agree with your point about the terms "DINO" and "RINO"), but it's a somewhat important part of my own personal history (the first election I worked on full-time as staff), and I have a tendency to be a know-it-all.

Anyway, cheers!

For all intents and purposes, you're completely right. I'm just being a stickler for details.

And pos reps and kudos to both of you for civilized disagreement. :clap2:
I won't get one of those, because I have a low tolerance for stubborn ignorance.

Interesting discussion. The Democrats, almost to a man/woman, want to define RINO in the most perjorative manner possible while at the same time using all sorts of ad hominem against Republicans in general.

The conervatives, however, including Bripat, seem to be pretty well unified on what the definition of RINO is which is a 'liberal' Republican; i.e. one that goes for big government solutions to all problems.

Republicans who aren't RINO can be as socially liberal as they wish, even pure libertarian, but they won't look to the federal government to promote a socially liberal agenda. President Bush's 'No Child Left Behind' program, for instance, was pure RINO. As was his Senior Prescription initiative, his energy policy, his environmental outlook, and his views of immigration.

Republicans who describe themselves as conservative, such as a John McCain, will still be a RINO when they join with Democrats to push a big government solution for a social issue.

It isn't that we object to anybody working with anybody to pass good legislation. But when Republicans go with the Democratic agenda in passing what conservatives consider bad legislation, then those Republicans will be branded RINOs. The hypocrisy shows up though when those who point fingers at Republicans for resisting what they consider to be a bad piece of legislation coming from the other side, never seem to mind when Democrats resist Republican proposals.

There are dozens of really good bills the House has passed recently that Harry Reid is not allowing out of committee in the Senate to even be debated, much less voted on. Where is the objection to that from you guys on the left? Are only Republicans supposed to work with the other side but that doesn't have to be reciprocated in your view?

Unfortunately the Republican party has been more big government oriented than not for some time now, though they often do show some more restraint than do the Democrats.

If the GOP doesn't turn it around by 2012, we conservatives may really have to start looking seriously at a third party in order to have any representation at all in Washington.

There is no such thing. A Rino is anyone who steps out of lockstep with republicans. Period.

since only a minority of republicans are actual conservatives, a conservative yardstick is not what defines a rino......

as previously stated, a rino is anyone who does not toe the party line and votes outside of what their party leaders tell them to......

so to determine who is a rino, just look at their voting record compared to how the majority of republicans voted and if you voted the opposite say 40% of the time, that person should be considered a rino......

A Rino is any Republican who is not a southern or midwestern social conservative Christian.

What's Your Definition Of A RINO?

Whomever Rush tells them is a RINO.

These are basically what we all understand the term "RINO" to be.

You all nailed it. :thup:

Interesting discussion. The Democrats, almost to a man/woman, want to define RINO in the most perjorative manner possible while at the same time using all sorts of ad hominem against Republicans in general.

The conervatives, however, including Bripat, seem to be pretty well unified on what the definition of RINO is which is a 'liberal' Republican; i.e. one that goes for big government solutions to all problems.

Republicans who aren't RINO can be as socially liberal as they wish, even pure libertarian, but they won't look to the federal government to promote a socially liberal agenda. President Bush's 'No Child Left Behind' program, for instance, was pure RINO. As was his Senior Prescription initiative, his energy policy, his environmental outlook, and his views of immigration.

Republicans who describe themselves as conservative, such as a John McCain, will still be a RINO when they join with Democrats to push a big government solution for a social issue.

It isn't that we object to anybody working with anybody to pass good legislation. But when Republicans go with the Democratic agenda in passing what conservatives consider bad legislation, then those Republicans will be branded RINOs. The hypocrisy shows up though when those who point fingers at Republicans for resisting what they consider to be a bad piece of legislation coming from the other side, never seem to mind when Democrats resist Republican proposals.

There are dozens of really good bills the House has passed recently that Harry Reid is not allowing out of committee in the Senate to even be debated, much less voted on. Where is the objection to that from you guys on the left? Are only Republicans supposed to work with the other side but that doesn't have to be reciprocated in your view?

Unfortunately the Republican party has been more big government oriented than not for some time now, though they often do show some more restraint than do the Democrats.

If the GOP doesn't turn it around by 2012, we conservatives may really have to start looking seriously at a third party in order to have any representation at all in Washington.
With that said, I would suggest you start working on that third party NOW. As there are no conservatives in your party. Only self-proclaimed Conservatives...a la Bush, who you ALL supported, essentially hook, line and sinker during the bulk of his regime.

I recently saw this posted by Bripat9643.......

"Worked across both sides of the aisle" is a euphemism meaning he's a RINO.

I have to wonder how many people would actually agree with that statement.

Does simply working in a bipartisan fashion on an issue automatically mean that a Republican is a RINO?

Now if you disagree with the above statement please state what YOUR definition of a RINO is.

IMO I would not only want, but would expect all members to work together to solve problems regardless of their political afffiliation.

To quote the pervert-in-chief, "it depends what the definition of is ...is". What's the definition of "bipartisanship"? In political language it means republicans who cave in to democrat demands.

I recently saw this posted by Bripat9643.......

"Worked across both sides of the aisle" is a euphemism meaning he's a RINO.

I have to wonder how many people would actually agree with that statement.

Does simply working in a bipartisan fashion on an issue automatically mean that a Republican is a RINO?

Now if you disagree with the above statement please state what YOUR definition of a RINO is.

IMO I would not only want, but would expect all members to work together to solve problems regardless of their political afffiliation.

To quote the pervert-in-chief, "it depends what the definition of is ...is". What's the definition of "bipartisanship"? In political language it means republicans who cave in to democrat demands.

That's the problem. You'll notice our leftist friends here continue to praise and heap on more derogatory and ad hominem and downright stupid comments about Republicans, but not one has suggested that the Democrats should at least take a look at and debate the proposals the Republicans are making to create jobs.

It's pretty hard to work in a bipartisan fashion with a President who said the Republicans are welcome to come along with us but they have to sit in back and who has yet to even hint that the Democrats in the Senate should at least consider some of those proposals that are languishing in committee.

That is what Republicans do when defining "liberal" when it comes to Democrats and opponents.

Now, if both sides would work for the good of the country instead of the good of their parties and individual interests (which seem mutually exclusive to the good of the country), then matters would be better.

The sad thing is that some leftists and some rightists believe that only their way is the right way, and both are the wrong way.

Any republican who signs on to a budget that increases debt and is a deficit.

With all the taxes our gov't takes in, it should be very easy to balance a budget and have a surplus.

So basically every republican is a rino except for Ron Paul.

That is what Republicans do when defining "liberal" when it comes to Democrats and opponents.

Now, if both sides would work for the good of the country instead of the good of their parties and individual interests (which seem mutually exclusive to the good of the country), then matters would be better.

The sad thing is that some leftists and some rightists believe that only their way is the right way, and both are the wrong way.

I vote for representatives who PROMISE they will vote for or suppport nothing in government that should be done in the private sector. I don't care which side initiates it, if the private sector instead of the government should be doing it, I don't want my legislators voting for it.

But it gets really old that our Fearless Leader and his Democratic cronies point fingers at Republicans for not 'cooperating' with their destructive, increase the power, scope, and expense of government proposals but then they won't support or even debate any proposals from the GOP that actually could do some good while actually decreasing the cost of government.

There is a huge ideological GAP when it comes to "working for the good of the country"......i doubt many Democrats will agree with the following values....

1. We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama's "stimulus" bill;
2. We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run healthcare;
3. We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;
4. We support workers' right to secret ballot by opposing card check;
5. We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;
6. We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;
7. We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;
8. We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;
9. We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and
10. We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership

Top Ten Top Ten - The Top Ten Republican Values 2009

Last edited:
You are Hard Right, not conservative, screaming eagle. And, no, several of your points are anti-American.

You make my point: neither Hard Right nor Hard Left can speak for what is good for America, because they don't care about American and Americans. Only themselves.

You are Hard Right, not conservative, screaming eagle. And, no, several of your points are anti-American.

You make my point: neither Hard Right nor Hard Left can speak for what is good for America, because they don't care about American and Americans. Only themselves.

i'm a hard conservative AMERICAN that's right.....deal with it....

i'm a hard conservative AMERICAN that's right.....deal with it....

But you have to understand Eagle, that any common sense convictions about what America should be are usually branded 'extremist' and/or 'unAmerican' by poor Jake who, while being a nice guy, can't seem to figure out the difference between liberal and conservative or what is 'extremist' and what isn't.

The ten things you listed are all subject to discussion and debate and should be. But they are are decidedly conservative and in no way are 'hard right'.

I have no trouble dealing with that you don't have what it takes to get us out of the mess, Screaming Eagle. We are not going back to the 1950s or beyond. Never, ever going to happen.

In today's world Ronald Reagan would be called a RINO!
He raised taxes as governor of California and as President of the US.
He gave amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants
He expanded the size of government
He wanted to eliminate nuclear weapons
He signed off on Abortion Rights legislation while governor of California
He limited free trade via trade barriers
He negotiated with Iran ala Iran-Contra

The rhinoceros family is characterized by its large size (one of the largest remaining megafauna), with all of the species able to reach one tonne or more in weight; an herbivorous diet; a thick protective skin, 1.5–5 cm thick, formed from layers of collagen positioned in a lattice structure; relatively small brains for mammals this size (400–600 g); and a large horn. They generally eat leafy material, although their ability to ferment food in their hindgut allows them to subsist on more fibrous plant matter, if necessary. Unlike other perissodactyls, the African species of rhinoceros lack teeth at the front of their mouths, relying instead on their powerful premolar and molar teeth to grind up plant food.

I have no trouble dealing with that you don't have what it takes to get us out of the mess, Screaming Eagle. We are not going back to the 1950s or beyond. Never, ever going to happen.

I hope you're wrong.....we shall see if the Tea Party flexes its muscle.....because if we continue a policy of RINOism....we FAIL....we will continue to follow Europe into decline and demise....

You're leaving a HUGE amount of mitigating circumstances out of all or most of that. And while I agree that Reagan, as have all Presidents from Teddy Roosevelt on, did go along with increasing the size of government, the mitigating circumstances associated with your list make them far less 'liberal' than you suggest.

You're leaving a HUGE amount of mitigating circumstances out of all or most of that. And while I agree that Reagan, as have all Presidents from Teddy Roosevelt on, did go along with increasing the size of government, the mitigating circumstances associated with your list make them far less 'liberal' than you suggest.

That's easy for you to say! :razz:

That's easy for you to say! :razz:

:) Yeah, saying stuff is real easy to do on a message board. :)

Forum List

Back