What's Your Definition Of A RINO?

Nice attempt of a loaded question, but it's obviously a liberal republican, ala Olympia Snow.

BTW, democrats are just as unwilling to pass conservative legislation, than the GOP is liberal legislation.

Why is it a "loaded question"? :confused:

And it's easy to see that there are many different opinions as to exactly what a RINO is which is exactly what I thought. I'm betting you'll find just as many if you were to ask what a DINO is....

Anyway, I didn't find anyone who agreed with Bripat so I can assume that he's in the minority on this?

There are only many opinions on what it is among libturds. Republicans all have the same definition. They all agree with mine. I simply pointed out sleazy weasel words Democrats use to refer to RINOs.

There is no such thing – if one says he’s a republican, he’s a republican. Indeed, as has been correctly stated many times over many years: those accused of being a ‘RINO’ are actually the true republicans. The radical, extreme rightists making the accusations are the usurping interlopers, who have managed to nearly destroy a once great and noble Party.

IMO I would not only want, but would expect all members to work together to solve problems regardless of their political afffiliation.

Agreed.

There is no such thing – if one says he’s a republican, he’s a republican. Indeed, as has been correctly stated many times over many years: those accused of being a ‘RINO’ are actually the true republicans. The radical, extreme rightists making the accusations are the usurping interlopers, who have managed to nearly destroy a once great and noble Party.

IMO I would not only want, but would expect all members to work together to solve problems regardless of their political afffiliation.

Agreed.

Shhh!!!! :eusa_shhh: Don't tell Bripat that. He says there IS such a thing and you ALL agree with HIM......

Bripat.....Republicans all have the same definition. They all agree with mine.

First Bripat sez........

Bripat.....If Democrats identify a Republican they approve of, then he is a RINO.

Then he opines.......

Bripat.....The fact that some Democrats voted for him doesn't make him a RINO

Confused? :confused: So am I......

a rino is any republican who has a chance of actually winning an election by virtue of not being a *social* conservative, busybody whack job.

y'know, like barry goldwater.

that commie bastard

A RINO is the opposite of a DINO basically a Joe Lieberman on the Republican side. Now come on, don't you guys tell me you forgot your hatred of Lieberman already! I mean really, you basically ran him out of your party.

Immie

Agreed.

Shhh!!!! :eusa_shhh: Don't tell Bripat that. He says there IS such a thing and you ALL agree with HIM......

"You all?" When did C_Clayton_Jones become a Republican?

First Bripat sez........

Bripat.....If Democrats identify a Republican they approve of, then he is a RINO.

Then he opines.......

Bripat.....The fact that some Democrats voted for him doesn't make him a RINO

Confused? :confused: So am I......

Ah . . . now I understand your confusion. I should have specified that only when sleazy Marxist weasel Democrats like you identify a Republican you approve of, he's a RINO. Some people are Democrats only because their parents were Democrats, not because they despise everything America stands for like you.

a rino is any republican who has a chance of actually winning an election by virtue of not being a *social* conservative, busybody whack job.

y'know, like barry goldwater.

that commie bastard

A RINO is the opposite of a DINO basically a Joe Lieberman on the Republican side. Now come on, don't you guys tell me you forgot your hatred of Lieberman already! I mean really, you basically ran him out of your party.

Immie

I recently saw this posted by Bripat9643.......

"Worked across both sides of the aisle" is a euphemism meaning he's a RINO.

I have to wonder how many people would actually agree with that statement.

Does simply working in a bipartisan fashion on an issue automatically mean that a Republican is a RINO?

Now if you disagree with the above statement please state what YOUR definition of a RINO is.

A Rino is any Republican who is not a southern or midwestern social conservative Christian.

A RINO is anyone who doesn't march lock-step with the far right wing of the Republican party.

Small Tent Republicans.

Hmmmm.....Bripat never said ANY of those things......:confused:

Immie

HEY!! I never ran him out of the D party. In fact, my daughter met him at Mt. Vernon a couple of weeks ago and I told her to get me his autograph.

I GOT IT!!!!

Immie

HEY!! I never ran him out of the D party. In fact, my daughter met him at Mt. Vernon a couple of weeks ago and I told her to get me his autograph.

I GOT IT!!!!

On a check? ;) With lots of numbers to the left of the decimal point?

Immie

A RINO is a pejorative used by those within the Republican Party putting forth a particular agenda against those within the Party who disagree with that agenda. Usually used by those harder to the right against those more moderate.

Despite the rumors, Rush didn't think it up. The term dates back to the 1920s.

The Big Apple: RINO (Republican In Name Only)
THe term “Republican in name only” was used in the 1920s and the 1950s, then in the Ronald Reagan-era 1980s. The term “RINO” appears in print in December 1992 in an article from Manchester, New Hampshire. In 1993, Los Angeles (CA) conservative activist Celeste Greig handed out “RINO” buttons to protest Richard Riordan, who was elected Los Angeles mayor from 1993-2001. It is not known if Greig coined the term “RINO,” but she helped popularize it.

Immie

By "ran him out of the party", do you mean "he lost the primary"?

Cause that's what happened.

Immie

Losing the primaries was not what drove him out of the party.

He left because Democrats treated him like shit because he was too independent. He wouldn't conform and they ousted him. He was basically persona non grata in the D party.

Immie

Immie

He left because Democrats treated him like shit because he was too independent. He wouldn't conform and they ousted him. He was basically persona non grata in the D party.

Immie

None of those things is true.

He lost the Democratic primary in 2006 to Ned Lamont (I worked on Lamont's campaign).

He knew he would win in the general though, because Connecticutt has a large Republican base that are all supporters of Lieberman. So he left the Democratic Party, and formed his own party (it's really easy to do that in CT).

Then, in 2008, he supported McCain for Prez, which was looked at as a betrayal, and a lot of people were pissed, true. He was not "kicked out" of the party at that point, since he was no longer a member.

Lieberman still to this day caucuses with the Democratic Party.

Immie

He lost the Democratic primary in 2006 to Ned Lamont (I worked on Lamont's campaign).

He knew he would win in the general though, because Connecticutt has a large Republican base that are all supporters of Lieberman. So he left the Democratic Party, and formed his own party (it's really easy to do that in CT).

Then, in 2008, he supported McCain for Prez, which was looked at as a betrayal, and a lot of people were pissed, true. He was not "kicked out" of the party at that point, since he was no longer a member.

Okay, I one, am not going to argue with you and two I did not say "they kicked him out of the party". I said they basically did so and that was because of the way they treated him. edit: He was persona non grata because he did not bow down and support Lamont like a "good little Democrat".

At least you do not deny that they treated him like shit at least some what so when you admit a lot of people were pissed at him.

In their opinion he was what? Like I said... a DINO.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

Okay, I one, am not going to argue with you and two I did not say "they kicked him out of the party". I said they basically did so and that was because of the way they treated him.
He "left" the Democratic Party in 2006. They "treated" him badly after he endorsed McCain, in 2008.

The issue is that you got your timeline mixed up.

At least you do not deny that they treated him like shit at least some what so when you admit a lot of people were pissed at him.
Many, many people were pissed at him, including myself. But he wasn't "treated like shit" - he kept all his committee positions, and continued to caucus with the Democratic Party.

In their opinion he was what? Like I said... a DINO.

Immie
I think "DINO" and "RINO" are ridiculous terms, but I have certainly heard Lieberman called a "DINO". I'm not disagreeing with you there.

I am only pointing out an error in your timeline, one that is personally important to me, due to my own history with it.

Forum List

Back