What’s the secret? How do you peel a hard-boiled egg without tearing it apart?

monkrules

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2017
It’s time to get away from politics for a moment and talk about something important for a change.

I carefully peeled a couple of hard-boiled eggs today and both were kind of torn up when I was finished. I can’t remember this happening when I was young. For Easter we’d hard boil loads of eggs to color and hide and I don't remember them being hard to peel, while keeping the finished egg intact.

About a year ago I saw this question discussed on a forum for chefs. They apparently have the same problems. They talked about new eggs, old eggs, peel under running water. But they seemed more baffled than confident, and I can’t remember any solid answers being suggested.

So, how is it done? What is your secret?

It’s time to get away from politics for a moment and talk about something important for a change.

I carefully peeled a couple of hard-boiled eggs today and both were kind of torn up when I was finished. I can’t remember this happening when I was young. For Easter we’d hard boil loads of eggs to color and hide and I don't remember them being hard to peel, while keeping the finished egg intact.

About a year ago I saw this question discussed on a forum for chefs. They apparently have the same problems. They talked about new eggs, old eggs, peel under running water. But they seemed more baffled than confident, and I can’t remember any solid answers being suggested.

3 things...
1. Use older eggs... Fresh eggs are a bitch to peel.
2. Take the egg, and put it in a glass half filled with water and shake the shit out of it until most of the shell is cracked all the way around.
3. Also I've found that refridgerating them makes them easier to peel.
If I had to guess... Your problem is that you used "fresh eggs. As in, just bought them under a week ago...

Have a bucket of ice + a little water handy when boiling eggs. As soon as you take them off, drain the hot water and pour mostly ice/water mixture over them, stir around with your hand. if they heat that up, add more ice until cool.

May be in the simple tips part, but I drop it from about 8” on the counter and roll it under my hand. Also, let them cool off before you try to shell it.

[
3 things...
2. Take the egg, and put it in a glass half filled with water and shake the shit out of it until most of the shell is cracked all the way around.
If I had to guess... Your problem is that you used "fresh eggs. As in, just bought them under a week ago...
Yeah, I bought the eggs just a few days ago.

They had been in the fridge, but that didn't help in my case.

WillHaftaWaite posted a link to a Martha Stewart video that looks promising.

[
3 things...
Yeah, I bought the eggs just a few days ago.

They had been in the fridge, but that didn't help in my case.

WillHaftaWaite posted a link to a Martha Stewart video that looks promising.
The past year I've been pickling eggs like a madman. I buy mine, and leave them in the fridge for two weeks before I boil em'. They're a breeze to peel. The key is to have enough to keep in rotation. If you don't have that kind of lead time, you're kinda stuck doing it the PIA way...

Depending on your area, you can buy them boiled and pre-peeled at Costco.

I buy 2 dozen for about $4.00. They package them in 2 packs of 12. Each package lasts about a week once you open them. I buy them to make my World Famous Deviled Bacon and Eggs.

1505228842944.jpeg

May be in the simple tips part, but I drop it from about 8” on the counter and roll it under my hand. Also, let them cool off before you try to shell it.
It would be great if this works. I'll give it a try.

The end of the egg is hollow/void. I walk out into my shop and pop it with 145 lbs of air pressure. It's peeled in 1/2 a second. I do a dozen in 30 seconds and the ol lady makes egg salad.

After boil with a little salt and vinegar in the water chill em fast and I find brown eggs to peal easier.... don't tell the libs they will go nuts and charge me with racism...

I found one idea some time ago that I find helpful. Now I remember where I read it: Inside the top cover of an egg carton. Lol...

Instead of boiling the eggs the whole 10 or 12 minutes, I bring the eggs to a hard boil then remove them from the burner. Let them set, covered, for about 12 minuted for hard boiled eggs.

Shorten the time for soft boiled eggs.

The end of the egg is hollow/void. I walk out into my shop and pop it with 145 lbs of air pressure. It's peeled in 1/2 a second. I do a dozen in 30 seconds and the ol lady makes egg salad.

You're as bad as the guy withe the wire brush +1/2" drill peeling potatoes in a 5-gallon bucket

Seriously, you pop the fatter end and the peel should come off all at once, or in 3 or less pieces.

Cooling them immediately is the trick. I used to boil 9 eggs a week and keep them in the fridge.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back