What's the difference between liberal science and conservative science

R

rdean

I've read complaints from those on the right that colleges and universities are liberally slanted and brainwash our kids.

That "mystical creation" should be taken seriously because of the vast amount of "evidence", which of course is "suppressed".

Evolution is the foundation science for biology, botany and physiology, but most conservatives say that's wrong.

So the question becomes, for colleges and universities to become hotbeds or right wing ideology, what would have to change. What would they have to teach "different"?

How would that especially affect "science"?

Last edited by a moderator:
There can't be liberal science, or conservative science. There are facts, and reasonable interpretations of observations. Some of which are annoying.

However, all scientists are human, have needs, large numbers of them work in colleges for the state and know which side their bread is buttered on.

What is annoying is when people use their authority in one area to to claim authority in another, where they are clueless. Or what is worse, use their authority of the grade to push other agendas.

And I remember one goofy lib teacher in high school who sent my name in to the vice principal as skipping class when I was able to point out where she got her facts backwards in a political rant (outside the purview of the class)

I've read complaints from those on the right that colleges and universities are liberally slanted and brainwash our kids.

That "mystical creation" should be taken seriously because of the vast amount of "evidence", which of course is "suppressed".

Evolution is the foundation science for biology, botany and physiology, but most conservatives say that's wrong.

So the question becomes, for colleges and universities to become hotbeds or right wing ideology, what would have to change. What would they have to teach "different"?

Neither are scientists, Hairnet. They're political activists. Scientists do not listen to politics, they listen to data.

There can't be liberal science, or conservative science. There are facts, and reasonable interpretations of observations. Some of which are annoying.

However, all scientists are human, have needs, large numbers of them work in colleges for the state and know which side their bread is buttered on.

What is annoying is when people use their authority in one area to to claim authority in another, where they are clueless. Or what is worse, use their authority of the grade to push other agendas.

And I remember one goofy lib teacher in high school who sent my name in to the vice principal as skipping class when I was able to point out where she got her facts backwards in a political rant (outside the purview of the class)

:lol:

Science is the observation of the physical world.

That basically begins and ends it.

For scientists who value scientific integrity, there is no difference. Those who encourage the politization of science think there is a difference.

Why would scientists choose one political party over another?

For scientists who value scientific integrity, there is no difference. Those who encourage the politization of science think there is a difference.

I suppose the same reason a taxi driver, or a fireman, or a CEO would... because he agrees with one party's platform more than another. It's really not that complicated, except perhaps for knuckle dragging elitists. :lol:

You seem to think of them as some sort of superior alien race, sort of like Vulcans running around in lab coats.
They have emotional, financial and other human needs. They get jealous and petty. They are human, all too human. Some of them have personal issues, some of them are rock stars. They aren't all Einstein. They aren't all Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory" either.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5-jtoeXsQ"]Asparger[/ame]

Scientific method:

a method of inquiry must be based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.[2] A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses.[3]

Doesn't look to me like the terms liberal or conservative have much to do with ther PHYSICAL sciences.

Given that both of those terms refer to predilections and inclinations of how people would like society structured, (the SOCIAL SCIENCES) rather than methods of thinking about how the physicial universe works, I see no relevant way one can be either a conservative or liberal physical scientist.

Those terms liberal and conservative certainly DO have a place in the world of the SOCIAL sciences, though.

Let's just be grateful that rdean isn't a scientist.... since he is incapable of separating his political views from anything. He must be a seriously dull guy in bed.

Let's just be grateful that rdean isn't a scientist.... since he is incapable of separating his political views from anything. He must be a seriously dull guy in bed.
I keep telling you. Hairnet works in College food service. You know... Ding fries are done?

It explains the total worship of faculty and universities, christophobia and general low intelligence.

I find myself not giving a shit to what party they belong. It's irrelevant to the science.

No, it goes right to the heart of why no conservatives are expected to be scientists or engineers.

Science is all about exploration and finding out, "What's there and what's new". Of "knowing" and "growing".

Conservative philosophy is "don't change" and "go back to a safer time". For conservatives, there is deep seated fear of "something new".

Scientist, inventors, engineers, these individuals will always be "outcasts" to the conservative movement.

That's the reality.

it would be interesting to see what types of research are initiated and heavily funded under conservative or liberal govts. Thatcher must regret starting the whole AGW thing in England. Reagan must be happy for all the spinoff that came from 'Star Wars'

Forum List

Back