*What's Good About Being An Atheist?*

Sorry bout that,

1. But these benefits seem to focus on you, the offender, or shall I say the sin laid-en heathern?
2. You get to shag some strange meat, and feel innocent the next day, is what some of you're saying, or be lazy and sleep in on Sundays, watch football, etc, etc.....
3. But what benefit does that me, or else your mother when your father dies, I can hear you trying to comfort dear old mother, " Mother, Father, is gone to a deep dark nothingness, where we will all go, and theres nothing that can be done about it, there is no God you know, seeing thats my belief, so suck it up Mother, shit happens dear.", though she goes to church every Sunday, and always has, and with your father when he was alive.
4. Yeah, thats a real benefit huh?
5. There are millions of examples where I wouldn't want an atheists as a family member, or close friend, as far as that goes.
6. Now how is it a benefit to the people you know that your are a atheist?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Come to think of it, how come I'm not out murdering, raping and stealing right now?

I don't give a damn about the Bible, and that's the only way to avoid doing these things, what's keeping me from doing it? The hand of God?

yep one does not have to have god to be a good person.
That is one of the fallacies of religion.
I am a much better humanitarian than many christians I know.

however I know some real Christians that are fine folks. And I have great respect for them.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, how come I'm not out murdering, raping and stealing right now?

I don't give a damn about the Bible, and that's the only way to avoid doing these things, what's keeping me from doing it? The hand of God?

Conscience. Common Sense. Survival Extinct.

however I know some real Christians that are fine folks. And I have great respect for them.
yep one does not have to have god to be a good person
What if it is built in to one's Nature? What if it is part of your design?

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,
People should worry about their own beliefs and zstay out of the beliefs of other people

1. Well thats not really fair Jill ol gal now is it?:confused:
2. We have here all sorts of discussions about the, *Christian Faith*, and I always see attacks from atheists about my faith, be it my thread or some one else's.
3. So why not we pull the lid back on atheism, you know pop the top, open the hood, and take a peek inside the gooey center?
4. Analyze it, learn to understand the wheres, whats, and whys, you know see what makes it tick.
5. You fear something?:eek:
Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I would say the same thing in the purported discussion about christianity , which is that I don't care what other people believe as long as they're not hurting anyone else

Fear? Of what? If I were an atheist, I certainly wouldn't "fear" christophiles who feel like proselytizing. As it is, I have my own beliefs and I think yours are nutty

1. So we have a winner now, my *First *CWN*Attacker* in this thread?
2. Jill, jill, no ones making you come to my threads.
3. I didn't send you an invite to come on in did I?
4. You don't have to reply to this thread, no one is making you too are they?
5. Just read it and don't reply, I don't think you really have an idea as to what this threads even about, so step off will you?:evil:
6. I know you, and I get dings all the time from you on my rep, I really don't care, and I don't even care to respond to you, you are just wasting my time really, but seeing you can't hold your peace I will respond back to you, and I fear no one here, and am willing to talk about my faith too, which I do a lot.
7. So are you or are you not an atheist?
8. And if you are indeed not an atheist why are you defending atheism or at least it seems you support atheists more than Christians?
9. Some would think thats a bit, *Judist*?
10 Would you be able to see that, if you were?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

yep one does not have to have god to be a good person
What if it is built in to one's Nature? What if it is part of your design?

Many do have a need to an authoritarin figure. Why most religious people also embrace authoritarian figures in their religion and government.

some of us need no authoritarian figures nor heroes.
Religion and governments thru the centuries have promoted these types of people and discouraged/killed the independent ones. This has caused the ones who embrace religion/authoritarianism to prosper and multiply.
So yes a genetic evoloution/selection process going on for thousands of years produces more who subscribeto or need the authoritarian way of life.

Last edited:
2. Jill, jill, no ones making you come to my threads.

You desire to be on ignore lists?

I have been seriously considering that, but then you would never learn anything from me.

Sorry bout that,

*Christian*

1. Okay new rules in posting in this thread, and its all because of Jillian, you can thank her for this.
2. Anyone who posts in it, I will have to require you put at the top of your post, *Atheist*, so I will know what you believe in or lack thereof, to be , and will understand what view to expect from your postings.
3. If you don't put, *Atheist*, I will not respond to you, so if you don't care if I respond to you then don't put *Atheist* at the top.
4. Those not sure put, *Not Sure* I may or may not respond to you, I'm *Not Sure*.
5. And Christians, put *Christian*, like I just did, I shall respond to you, if I feel I can answer your questions or agree with you.
6. If you are something else, put, *Something Else*, my response to you may be, *Something Else*.

regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

*Christian*

I'm not an atheists but I can think of a few benefits to that POV:

It frees up your Sunday mornings for golf.

You don't have to be embarrassed by the excesses of fellow believers.

You don't get to dismiss confusing issues with " God works in mysterious ways" so you're more likely to keep trying to figure out what's really going on.

1. So then what are you?:confused:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

*Christian*

Sorry bout that,

1. This will indeed be a short thread.
2. If you are an atheist, will you be brave enough to post what the benefits are for being an atheist?
3. Are there any benefits?
4. Will this thread end before it begins?
5. Will you be able to turn this into a *Attack Thread On CWN*?
6. Is the only benefit about being an atheist, is you get to skate on *all* moral issues?
7. This may be the first and last post in this thread, so, *CHECKMATE*!
8. What keeps an atheist alive, and how does their lack of belief benefit themselves or anyone within their circle of life?
9. Do you feel like a mind numb robot?
10. Do you ask questions out loud why you don't get God?
11. No link provided: Go!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

1.) Nice childish start to the thread, status quo for you
2.) Well I don't have to waste my Sundays that's a nice thing, especially during the NFL season. But it's not about the benefits, it's about having a fact or faith mindset. I have a fact mindset, if it's not a fact than I'm not going to treat it as one.
3.) You just asked that in #2
4.) :cuckoo:
5.) Would I be able to? Yes. Will I? No
6.) No, I don't need a book or a person in a collar to tell me not to kill people.
7.) :cuckoo:
8.) Oxygen, water, food, the sun, etc, same stuff that keeps you alive.
9.) A robot is programmed to know a finite amount of things, this isn't the case with people who take fact or faith and science over religion. It's the exact opposite.
10.) There's nothing to get, hence being an atheist.
11.) There's no link that says the Bible is true. STOP!

1. This thread will take a mature atheist to be honest with their answers.
2. I for one am just wondering why an atheist believes what he believes.
3. And am looking for answers.
4. Show us some benefit.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I suppose the main reason sheep flock to religion is for the "benefits":

The benefit of having someone else do your thinking for you.

The benefit of attending a social club each week and listening to fantastic fairy tales.

The benefit of living in a tiney cozy little world where all the questions have been answered for you.

The benefit of having aquantances "pray" for you when you are sick and dying.

The benefit of "defeating death" and a chance at "eternal life" in a very friendly place.

Being Atheist, on the other hand, has nothing to do with looking for benefits and comfort.

It is purely a natural result of rational thinking; looking at Nature straight in the face; and accepting death as a natural part of the life process.

The benefit of having someone else do your thinking for you.
It is not as you think it is. It is more of a submission of our thinking, to Him, leaning not on our own understanding and not questioning God or His ways. It is NOT easy at all either, as our hearts are easily lead astray by sin and by things of the world. There is an actual spiritual battle going on.

The benefit of attending a social club each week and listening to fantastic fairy tales.
Not everyone who believes Jesus Christ attends a church goes just to say they did - as an outward appearance type of thing. Many have home Bible Studies, want to be closer to Him, love to study His Word, truly love Him and thankful to Him for their lives in Him.

The benefit of living in a tiney cozy little world where all the questions have been answered for you.
Far from it. Christians are not exempt from suffering or not understanding why things are the way they are. Christ never told us it would be a bed of roses. He told us He'd be there with us through it all. He told us rather we would have trouble in the world.

The benefit of having aquantances "pray" for you when you are sick and dying.
That is surely a benefit - totally agreed.

The benefit of "defeating death" and a chance at "eternal life" in a very friendly place.
That's not just a benefit - it is a gift which is already given to the whole world - He is knocking on the door, we need only receive Him. But how can someone be with God, if they don't even believe and trust Him? How can they be with Him if they battle His Word and think they know better than Him? He, Who created all things, who are we to argue against our Maker? (Does the clay tell the potter what to do?)
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Just thought I'd reply to all that, as there are many assumptions out there. I'm not saying I dont fail and assume at times either, but I hope this helped.

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

*Christian*

Sorry bout that,

1. This will indeed be a short thread.
2. If you are an atheist, will you be brave enough to post what the benefits are for being an atheist?
3. Are there any benefits?
4. Will this thread end before it begins?
5. Will you be able to turn this into a *Attack Thread On CWN*?
6. Is the only benefit about being an atheist, is you get to skate on *all* moral issues?
7. This may be the first and last post in this thread, so, *CHECKMATE*!
8. What keeps an atheist alive, and how does their lack of belief benefit themselves or anyone within their circle of life?
9. Do you feel like a mind numb robot?
10. Do you ask questions out loud why you don't get God?
11. No link provided: Go!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

1.) Nice childish start to the thread, status quo for you
2.) Well I don't have to waste my Sundays that's a nice thing, especially during the NFL season. But it's not about the benefits, it's about having a fact or faith mindset. I have a fact mindset, if it's not a fact than I'm not going to treat it as one.
3.) You just asked that in #2
4.) :cuckoo:
5.) Would I be able to? Yes. Will I? No
6.) No, I don't need a book or a person in a collar to tell me not to kill people.
7.) :cuckoo:
8.) Oxygen, water, food, the sun, etc, same stuff that keeps you alive.
9.) A robot is programmed to know a finite amount of things, this isn't the case with people who take fact or faith and science over religion. It's the exact opposite.
10.) There's nothing to get, hence being an atheist.
11.) There's no link that says the Bible is true. STOP!

1. This thread will take a mature atheist to be honest with their answers.
2. I for one am just wondering why an atheist believes what he believes.
3. And am looking for answers.
4. Show us some benefit.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I'd say the main benefit is I don't have a religious motivation to deny basic science, like you do.

I prefer a fact mindset, to a faith mindset.

Sorry bout that,

*Christian*

Refusing to believe fiction is reality is good for the rational mind.

Refusing to live in fear of retribution of a petty and capricious god is liberating.

Tell me which is the better man; The man who does good works out of fear of hell or for an eternal reward or the man who knows there in no eternal reward yet consciously chooses to live a good life simply for the sake of living a good life?

the answer is obvious to me.

1. And a man who knows about God, and does good for goodness sake has a benefit, his act of doing good, in fact benefits some one, and so that in itself, shows that the goodness the *Christian* person does and has taken hold on the disciples heart, he doesn't do it from fear, he does it from love, and duty, this sort of duty is an honor, and this honor grows to other honors, bestowed of God on his disciple.
2. Fear has nothing to do with doing a good deed, indeed.
3. And if an atheist lives a certain way, in order to live a good life, for *whom* is he living this good life for, if there is no God, to approve or disapprove?
4. That answer is not obvious, and will be hard to answer, if you asked me to answer it.:confused:
5. Political Correctness won't save you or this thread from its eventual outcome, whatever the end thereof be.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

3. And if an atheist lives a certain way, in order to live a good life, for *whom* is he living this good life for, if there is no God, to approve or disapprove?

I approve or dissaprove of how I live my life. I can discern good from evil.

I basically try and treat others as I would like to be treated.
Pretty much covers all the ground and guides my life pretty well without and God or preacher telling me what to do or how to live.

Sorry bout that,

*Christian*

Sleeping in on Sundays.

Reading books other than The Big Book of Myths and Fables.

No guilt or shame when having "impure" thoughts about the girls in the office.

1. So your *Atheism* runs parallel to book knowledge?
2. And your propensities to *Lust O The Flesh*?

Note: ***These early posts are before I made the rule about using the *Atheist* etc, etc, etc.... heading, keep in mind, all posts after the post I made that rule I will not respond to, if the rule is ignored, and I expect everyone here is intelligent enough and knew what I meant when I made the rule.***

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

*Christian*

Refusing to believe fiction is reality is good for the rational mind.

Refusing to live in fear of retribution of a petty and capricious god is liberating.

Tell me which is the better man; The man who does good works out of fear of hell or for an eternal reward or the man who knows there in no eternal reward yet consciously chooses to live a good life simply for the sake of living a good life?

the answer is obvious to me.

1. And a man who knows about God, and does good for goodness sake has a benefit, his act of doing good, in fact benefits some one, and so that in itself, shows that the goodness the *Christian* person does and has taken hold on the disciples heart, he doesn't do it from fear, he does it from love, and duty, this sort of duty is an honor, and this honor grows to other honors, bestowed of God on his disciple.

And a good deed by an atheist benefits no one? An atheist cannot love and honor another person? An atheist can have no sense of duty to family or community?
2. Fear has nothing to do with doing a good deed, indeed.

Fear is the basis of religion. Sin and be damned to hell and all that rubbish. To deny that religions do not dwell on the consequences of disobeying god is disingenuous at best.

My life and self esteem are not based upon the approval of others and certainly not the approval of a god. If you stop seeking approval and live because you want to live, love because you want to love then you truly become the master of your fate.
4. That answer is not obvious, and will be hard to answer, if you asked me to answer it.:confused:

The answer is obvious. The man who believes he has nothing to gain from doing a good deed is the better man. The man who does a good deed out of fear or because a god told him to via some religious text is a man who did not choose to act willingly. A man who does a good deed only to go to heaven is acting out of selfishness.

5. Political Correctness won't save you or this thread from its eventual outcome, whatever the end thereof be.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Save me from what?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back