Whatever happened to "Republicans"???

Wow....Libertarians believe that we're not regulated enough?? :lol:

You really are a clueless imbecile, aren't you??

A month or so ago, Bobo won USMB's "Douchebag of the year" award. We voted on it and everything.:lol:

i hear Chrissy is the favorite in the next one....

I think I might be the only person on this site that is loud and proud to be a Liberal/Progressive Democrat.

You guys have made it a dirty word and I'm hear to take it back.

Now Conservative is a dirty word. It means to torture, lie us into wars, spy on us, take our rights away, blow all our money in the name of defense, welfare for the rich, socialize the losses and privatize the profits, irresponsible deregulations.

This is not your fathers Republican party Harry.

Actually, as old as you are, maybe it is the same party. Your dad was around during the Hoover Great Depression, right?

Carter was sabotaged by the corporations and rich because he didn't sellout to them. Look how the CIA set him up with that hostage situation. The CIA/GOP said, "hold those hostages until after the election" and then Ollie North sold them guns. Carter was going to win before that. No one took Reagan seriously at first. I saw the special on this on PBS. Carter did get crushed, but a year before the election, he wasn't losing.

He was too good/nice to be president.

Clinton did well because he did sell out. And now righties get to say, "HE SIGNED NAFTA, HE SIGNED NAFTA."

And Obama better not try to fight the powers that be too hard or he might end up like Kennedy. Or, they can tank the stock market and raise gas prices before the 2012 election and get the public to vote for Mitt Romney. Watch and see their upcoming October surprise in 2012.

But I've already seen Obama do more for us than Bush did in 8 years. One example, not allowing the Credit card companies to do whatever they want. Not enough, but at least something. It was under Bush the credit card companies started these shady practices. Or maybe it started under Clinton/Newts watch. Whatever.

Anyways, I'm still waiting to see Obama address jobs in America. I didn't buy it when he said we would replace all the jobs that left with new green jobs. I won't go into why i'm not buying that, but it just isn't enough. We need to do something to bring manufacturing back to the US. Does that mean tariffs? If we have to, sure.

Carter might have been a nice guy....but he was a wuss....ive known nice guys who were not wussies...Carter was in the Navy....so i thought he would at least have one ball in his sack.....and i would sure like to see this country start manufacturing things like we used to....

Do you know who Lee Atwater is? He was the Karl Rove before Rove was around. Lee was a son of a bitch.

Anyways, he and HW Bush, the GOP and Corporations like Big Oil are responsible for taking down Carter.

Your memory of history is distorted by right wing spin.

Without Lee Atwater, Reagan would have lost. He's even the guy who came up with Willie Horton to attack Dukakis.

And if Lee didn't die of a brain tumor, HW Bush might have beaten Clinton.

Atwater's most noteworthy campaign was the 1988 presidential election, where he served as campaign manager for Republican nominee George H.W. Bush. A particularly aggressive media program included a television advertisement produced by Floyd Brown related to the case of Willie Horton, a convicted murderer serving a life sentence in a Massachusetts prison who committed a rape while participating in a weekend furlough strongly supported by then-governor Michael Dukakis[

See Harry, this particular story is why today you guys think that Democrats are soft on crime. It all stems from bullshit.

Don't think it is bullshit?

Furloughs had been created by the previous Republican governor. Ironically, prison furlough programs had been long established in California during the governorship of Republican Ronald Reagan, prior to 1980. The Horton campaign undoubtedly helped George H.W. Bush overcome Dukakis's 17-percent lead in early public opinion polls and win both the electoral and popular vote by landslide margins.

Now do you see how you have been brainwashed and how wrong you are?

Bobo yu can dress it up all you want....Carter was still a wuSS....with the emphasis on the SS....

A month or so ago, Bobo won USMB's "Douchebag of the year" award. We voted on it and everything.:lol:

i hear Chrissy is the favorite in the next one....

I think I might be the only person on this site that is loud and proud to be a Liberal/Progressive Democrat.

You guys have made it a dirty word and I'm hear to take it back.

Now Conservative is a dirty word. It means to torture, lie us into wars, spy on us, take our rights away, blow all our money in the name of defense, welfare for the rich, socialize the losses and privatize the profits, irresponsible deregulations.

This is not your fathers Republican party Harry.

Actually, as old as you are, maybe it is the same party. Your dad was around during the Hoover Great Depression, right?
yea he was but he was like 10 at the time....

oh PS....my dad was a lifelong Dem. by the way.....

Last edited:
Carter might have been a nice guy....but he was a wuss....ive known nice guys who were not wussies...Carter was in the Navy....so i thought he would at least have one ball in his sack.....and i would sure like to see this country start manufacturing things like we used to....

Do you know who Lee Atwater is? He was the Karl Rove before Rove was around. Lee was a son of a bitch.

Anyways, he and HW Bush, the GOP and Corporations like Big Oil are responsible for taking down Carter.

Your memory of history is distorted by right wing spin.

Without Lee Atwater, Reagan would have lost. He's even the guy who came up with Willie Horton to attack Dukakis.

And if Lee didn't die of a brain tumor, HW Bush might have beaten Clinton.

Atwater's most noteworthy campaign was the 1988 presidential election, where he served as campaign manager for Republican nominee George H.W. Bush. A particularly aggressive media program included a television advertisement produced by Floyd Brown related to the case of Willie Horton, a convicted murderer serving a life sentence in a Massachusetts prison who committed a rape while participating in a weekend furlough strongly supported by then-governor Michael Dukakis[

See Harry, this particular story is why today you guys think that Democrats are soft on crime. It all stems from bullshit.

Don't think it is bullshit?

Furloughs had been created by the previous Republican governor. Ironically, prison furlough programs had been long established in California during the governorship of Republican Ronald Reagan, prior to 1980. The Horton campaign undoubtedly helped George H.W. Bush overcome Dukakis's 17-percent lead in early public opinion polls and win both the electoral and popular vote by landslide margins.

Now do you see how you have been brainwashed and how wrong you are?

Bobo yu can dress it up all you want....Carter was still a wuSS....with the emphasis on the SS....

Its a lot easier being a Republican who does the "corporations" bidding than it is to be a Democrat who tries to take them on.

Just ask JFK.

His tenure was a time of continuing inflation and recession, as well as an energy crisis. On January 7, 1980, Carter signed Law H.R. 5860 aka Public Law 96-185 known as The Chrysler Corporation Loan Guarantee Act of 1979 bailing out Chrysler Corporation. While attempting to calm various conflicts around the World, most visibly in the Mid-East, the final year of his administration was marred by the Iran hostage crisis which contributed to his loss in his 1980 campaign for re-election to Ronald Reagan.

In historical rankings of US presidents, the Carter presidency has ranged from #19 to #34. Although Carter's presidency received mixed reviews, his all-around peace keeping and humanitarian efforts since he left office have led him to be widely renowned as one of the most successful ex-presidents in US history.[39][40]

Jimmy Carter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carter was sabotaged by the corporations and rich because he didn't sellout to them. Look how the CIA set him up with that hostage situation. The CIA/GOP said, "hold those hostages until after the election" and then Ollie North sold them guns. Carter was going to win before that. No one took Reagan seriously at first. I saw the special on this on PBS. Carter did get crushed, but a year before the election, he wasn't losing.

He was too good/nice to be president.

Clinton did well because he did sell out. And now righties get to say, "HE SIGNED NAFTA, HE SIGNED NAFTA."

And Obama better not try to fight the powers that be too hard or he might end up like Kennedy. Or, they can tank the stock market and raise gas prices before the 2012 election and get the public to vote for Mitt Romney. Watch and see their upcoming October surprise in 2012.

But I've already seen Obama do more for us than Bush did in 8 years. One example, not allowing the Credit card companies to do whatever they want. Not enough, but at least something. It was under Bush the credit card companies started these shady practices. Or maybe it started under Clinton/Newts watch. Whatever.

Anyways, I'm still waiting to see Obama address jobs in America. I didn't buy it when he said we would replace all the jobs that left with new green jobs. I won't go into why i'm not buying that, but it just isn't enough. We need to do something to bring manufacturing back to the US. Does that mean tariffs? If we have to, sure.

Do you have any real formal education?

Lee Atwater was a secondary advisor during the Reagan years. He did not ascend to heading an election campaign until HW Bush. During the Reagan years, Atwater worked under Ed Rollins - a noted moderate. Rollins considered Atwater overly aggressive at times, which was true. He was a rough n tumble political operative who did play a part in the now infamous (and very effective) Willie Horton furlough issue. (An issue that was originally brought up by then-Democrat Senator Al Gore during the primary campaign.)

To attempt to paint Reagan's overwhelming election victories in both 1980 and 1984, which rank among the most lopsided electoral victories in American history, as results of some secondary political advisor, is astounding in its absurdity. No, Reagan was a far greater political figure than your weak attempt here to minimilize his dominance of the American political landscape of the 1980s.

ElectoralCollege1980-Large.png

electoral-1984-s.jpg

And by the way, the Dukakis campaign was a disaster - he was seen as weak on defense, weak on crime - basically another East Coast liberal. And Dukakis himself only furthered that image...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1md5WIgcjg8[/ame]

Last edited:
Returning to the original question, Whatever Happened to Republicans, Reagan's success as a president would not have happened if he had not had a working relationship with then Speaker of the House, Tip O'Neill. The same can be said of Bill Clinton, who had a working relationship with Newt Gingrich. They compromised, and got things done.

Too many of the "New" Republicans-in-name-only are attempting to disengage from the only possibility there is to make their voices really count, and thereby the chance to make their OWN "changes" to policies they don't like, and that is by finding common ground.

You will get nowhere by shrill and bullying tactics, nor by trying to make mountains out of molehills over unimportant non-issues.

What happened is that they appeased, capitulated, and caved to the left for so long, that they became indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from the left.

They ran exactly the kind of "moderate" presidential candidate all the leftists claim that republicans should run, and they still lost.

And I have yet to see any compelling sensory evidence, despite all the bluster from the left, that the GOP has shifted "hard right".

No one's buying this. What happened is that they finally got full control of government and they did exactly what they always wanted.

Socialize the losses and privatize the profits.
Break government so they could end social programs for the poor
Launch a war in the middle east, disaster capitalism.

And the Robber Baron's gobbled up all the $. Did they go too far? Hell no. Heck, you don't even realize they did it. You're stilll blaming the government.

In business, there are always winners and losers. So, who won? When your 401K took a dump and Walllstreet collapsed, where did all that money go? Who won?

The bankers won. And you still side with the GOP who helped the bankers fuck us.

Are the Dems angels? No, but they are way better than the GOP.

You don't make enough money to be a Republican. Do you understand that?

You raise some good questions...

WHERE DID ALL THE MONEY GO??? Where DID all that money go that was supposed to be pulling us out of the downward spiral...it sure as hell didn't save Chrysler....or GM! It sure as hell didn't create new jobs. We're STILL dropping in that category. And apparently, even with TWO car manufacturers tanking and shutting down plants and dealerships, gas continues to go higher and higher. I suppose that you still want to blame Bush for all of this. Funny how that works isn't it? 8 years ago, if it happened on Bush's watch, it was HIS fault. Now, when bad shit is happening on BO's watch, it's STILL Bush's fault.

Obama TOLD us that he was going to raise gas prices...and you STILL voted for him.

He TOLD us that healthcare needed to be changed so that EVERYONE was covered whether they could pay for it or not...YOU FOOT THE BILL....and you STILL voted for him.

He TOLD us that spending 750 BILLION dollars to avoid economic disaster MIGHT work. No garuntees....and you STILL voted for him.

So...where DID all the money go? The banks didn't fuck us...Barney Frank did. And just like every other meally mouthed POS liberal, he stands there and points his finger at everyone else. What a total waste of DNA!

Thanks Obama...I knew you could.

Transparency!!!

You forgot that this was supposed to be the moist transparent administration in history!!

Lemmie guess.....Well, maybe they're going back on their promise of transparency, but it's better than GEORGE BOOOOOSH!!....And Halliburton...And Cheney, running the shadow gubmint in the basement of Wal-Mart!!!

Last edited:
What happened is that they appeased, capitulated, and caved to the left for so long, that they became indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from the left.

They ran exactly the kind of "moderate" presidential candidate all the leftists claim that republicans should run, and they still lost.

And I have yet to see any compelling sensory evidence, despite all the bluster from the left, that the GOP has shifted "hard right".

No one's buying this. What happened is that they finally got full control of government and they did exactly what they always wanted.

Socialize the losses and privatize the profits.
Break government so they could end social programs for the poor
Launch a war in the middle east, disaster capitalism.

And the Robber Baron's gobbled up all the $. Did they go too far? Hell no. Heck, you don't even realize they did it. You're stilll blaming the government.

In business, there are always winners and losers. So, who won? When your 401K took a dump and Walllstreet collapsed, where did all that money go? Who won?

The bankers won. And you still side with the GOP who helped the bankers fuck us.

Are the Dems angels? No, but they are way better than the GOP.

You don't make enough money to be a Republican. Do you understand that?

You raise some good questions...

WHERE DID ALL THE MONEY GO??? Where DID all that money go that was supposed to be pulling us out of the downward spiral...it sure as hell didn't save Chrysler....or GM! It sure as hell didn't create new jobs. We're STILL dropping in that category. And apparently, even with TWO car manufacturers tanking and shutting down plants and dealerships, gas continues to go higher and higher. I suppose that you still want to blame Bush for all of this. Funny how that works isn't it? 8 years ago, if it happened on Bush's watch, it was HIS fault. Now, when bad shit is happening on BO's watch, it's STILL Bush's fault.

Obama TOLD us that he was going to raise gas prices...and you STILL voted for him.

He TOLD us that healthcare needed to be changed so that EVERYONE was covered whether they could pay for it or not...YOU FOOT THE BILL....and you STILL voted for him.

He TOLD us that spending 750 BILLION dollars to avoid economic disaster MIGHT work. No garuntees....and you STILL voted for him.

So...where DID all the money go? The banks didn't fuck us...Barney Frank did. And just like every other meally mouthed POS liberal, he stands there and points his finger at everyone else. What a total waste of DNA!

Thanks Obama...I knew you could.

Another one whose only "homework" on any of the issues he mentions are what he reads or hears from one of his friends. Why bother actually researching When? Why? How? When it's so much easier just to parrot somebody else who thinks he knows all the answers.

Transparency!!!

You forgot that this was supposed to be the moist transparent administration in history!!

Lemmie guess.....Well, maybe they're going back on their promise of transparency, but it's better than GEORGE BOOOOOSH!!....And Halliburton...And Cheney, running the shadow gubmint in the basement of Wal-Mart!!!

What lazy, lying asses you are. You can now track every dollar granted for every program for every state under the Stimulus Bill. All it takes is a little of your FUCKING TIME to read. Do you think you could tear yourself away from your clever attempt at being the smartest smartass in the room to do that?

Recovery.gov

There are also state-run websites which track the dollars currently (YES! RIGHT NOW!) being spent on a variety of construction projects. Again, all it takes is a little extra effort. Obama doesn't plan on making personal phone calls to you for weekly updates.

Chart: Tracking States’ Spending Sites - ProPublica

Returning to the original question, Whatever Happened to Republicans, Reagan's success as a president would not have happened if he had not had a working relationship with then Speaker of the House, Tip O'Neill. The same can be said of Bill Clinton, who had a working relationship with Newt Gingrich. They compromised, and got things done.

Too many of the "New" Republicans-in-name-only are attempting to disengage from the only possibility there is to make their voices really count, and thereby the chance to make their OWN "changes" to policies they don't like, and that is by finding common ground.

You will get nowhere by shrill and bullying tactics, nor by trying to make mountains out of molehills over unimportant non-issues.

Uh, how can you complain about politicians not compromising without including your beloved Democrats in that complaint?

Failure to do so simply places your views as zombie-like partisan banter...

Helen-Thomas-Zombie.jpg

I'm a registered independent too, but that means squat except during a national election in my state. You must choose either choose a Democrat or Republican ballot. On the registrar, everyone is listed as a D or R. Not right, but that's just the way it is, until changed. And I hope it does.

You can vote for an independent or a constitutional party politician or countless other parties would that still be D or R?

To clarify, the registry is alphabetical, so if you're a Republican voting in a Democratic primary, that's fine, but your name will be crossed off as having already voted if you attempted to vote (again) in a Republican primary. However, there are some states (I think) which have primary day, meaning both parties vote on the same day, and it's my understanding that you would need to choose either a Dem or Rep ballot. But I could be wrong. It's the same ballot for national elections, with plenty of spaces for write-ins.
In Maryland, you can not vote in either the Democratic primary or the Republican primary if you are an independent. As far as the general election, you are free to vote for any candidate on the ballot which is determined by support in Maryland. If a particular candidate isn't on the ballot then you are free to write their name in. On more than one occasion I have wrote in Mickey Mouse, as a protest vote.

Uh, how can you complain about politicians not compromising without including your beloved Democrats in that complaint?

Because for the purposes of THIS THREAD, we're talking about why Republicans are in such a disarray. Democrats have also shown an unwillingness to compromise (especially Pelosi), but their entire party doesn't ever wind up looking like a bunch of keystone kops looking for looking for crooks where none exist.

Because for the purposes of THIS THREAD, we're talking about why Republicans are in such a disarray. Democrats have also shown an unwillingness to compromise (especially Pelosi), but their entire party doesn't ever wind up looking like a bunch of keystone kops looking for looking for crooks where none exist.

you betcha :lol:

So you are now admitting you have no knowledge of recent American political history?

Here's a link to a political discussion thread from 2003 - based upon a polipundit.com article stating the Decline of the Democrat Party, noting that Democrats had lost control of the White House, the Congress, and governor positions.

The decline of the Democratic Party - KFFL Community

The Democrats have suffered low points, aggressive in-fighting, finger pointing, and speculative projections of their demise, much as the Republicans have as well.

Your attempt to portray the current situation for the Republicans in the limited scope of only the most recent history is clearly a pre-determined partisan attempt at simply sharing your personal view and hope of further Republican decline.

Nothing wrong with that persay - but you are not being entirely honest about it.

The Democrats are enjoying this current period of political dominance. That period will end, and the Republicans will once again assume control - until they too mess it up, and the cycle will repeat.

Unless a viable 3rd Party actually manages to shake the tree (which is much needed) but that is a longshot...

So you are now admitting you have no knowledge of recent American political history?

Here's a link to a political discussion thread from 2003 - based upon a polipundit.com article stating the Decline of the Democrat Party, noting that Democrats had lost control of the White House, the Congress, and governor positions.

The Democrats have suffered low points, aggressive in-fighting, finger pointing, and speculative projections of their demise, much as the Republicans have as well.

Your attempt to portray the current situation for the Republicans in the limited scope of only the most recent history is clearly a pre-determined partisan attempt at simply sharing your personal view and hope of further Republican decline.

Nothing wrong with that persay - but you are not being entirely honest about it.

The Democrats are enjoying this current period of political dominance. That period will end, and the Republicans will once again assume control - until they too mess it up, and the cycle will repeat.

Unless a viable 3rd Party actually manages to shake the tree (which is much needed) but that is a longshot...

I'm totally fine if you don't think republicans are in deep trouble.

But the fact is, your analogy to 2004 is not plausible.

Republicans never had 60 senate seats. Republicans never had an 80 seat House majority. Even in 2004, republicans had control by the slimmest of margins, and they did not win massivle presidential and congressional landslides in 2004 and 2002.

Republicans never came close to having the majority Dems have now, and two massive blowouts in a row, 2006 and 2008 is nearly unprecendented in modern politics.

I agree the dems could fuck up, and the tide will shift someday.

But, you demographics of the country are moving against the Party of Rush Limbaugh. I don't think its a viable strategy for the repulbicans to keep using rhetoric and policies that is deemed belligerent by most people in every minority group in the country.

Republicans never had 60 senate seats. Republicans never had an 80 seat House majority. Even in 2004, republicans had control by the slimmest of margins, and they did not win massivle presidential and congressional landslides in 2004 and 2002.

Republicans never came close to having the majority Dems have now, and two massive blowouts in a row, 2006 and 2008 is nearly unprecendented in modern politics.

But, you demographics of the country are moving against the Party of Rush Limbaugh. I don't think its a viable strategy for the repulbicans to keep using rhetoric and policies that is deemed belligerent by most people in every minority group in the country.
the dems ARE fucking up
LOL

File:ElectoralCollege1984-Large.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Republicans are in disarray because they refuse to look ahead. They are always looking to past glories for relief. How sad they are how truly pathetic. America is a spent force a shadow of her former self. China has taken over the world and you pathetic people refuse to understand why.

Forum List

Back