What would you think...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amanda, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Something happened last night and I'm not sure what I think of it so I wanted to ask what all of you think.

I was out with my boyfriend last night. We met at church and have only been dating a few weeks. I was wearing a hoodie sweatshirt over a low cut top and had the sweatshirt unzipped to where you could see I was wearing the top underneath. I'm not well endowed in the chest, but it was zipped down far enough to where if I was you would have seen a little cleavage.

So anyway, we were out and at one point he reached over and zipped me up a little and said I was showing too much skin. I didn't think what I was showing was all that daring. It was just like kind playful and cute. At the time I felt embarrassed that he thought I was showing too much. Today I'm feeling like it was kind of presumptuous to reach over and change how my clothes looked.

So... what do you think? Was it too protective or not a big deal? I don't like feeling like I belong to someone to do with as they please, but at the same time it kinda seems sweet. I'm confused. :confused:

2. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,310
    You be who you want to be. If he isn't happy with it, then he isn't for you.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm not too keen on men who want to tell me how to dress, beyond complimenting what I have on, that's always welcome. It seems it could be beyond presumptuous veering towards controlling?

4. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I may have a somewhat biased view, having spent time working with battered/abused women in a shelter...

...I would take that sort of action that early in a relationship as a sign of control and predict that it would grow more pronounced over time. I suggest you wear your top like you want, and the next time he zips it up, zip it back down and tell him you prefer it that way. If he shows any signs of anger, I'd run away from that relationship if I were you.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Dump him.

He's a freaking control freak.

He'll only get worse if you put up with it.

6. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    hey I was getting wood just having you describe it..sometimes less is more...if your not sexual active..it was probably getting his attention more than he could handle..take it as a compliment on your attractiveness and his desire to remain a gentlemen

7. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Knee to the groin.

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Ask him about it. If you're conservative and so is he, he might have been trying to protect you from prying eyes. However, he must feel comfortable enough around you to adjust your clothes in public. If it had bothered me, I would've just mentioned it to you and let you take care of it if you thought it was a problem. Controlling? Maybe. If he is, you'd better find out sooner rather than later.

9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Be very careful , that is a very possesive thing to do to a date.

Like Steerpike said its a big warning sign.

Trust your own feelings, you already seem to feel it was wrong.

Tell him to never do it again and watch his reactions very carefully.

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I'm with those who see this as the mark of a controller. You should be relieved it's happened so early. Walk away and find someone else because this is how sadness starts.